Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Employee job training step by step (not handbook)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brookline
    started a topic Employee job training step by step (not handbook)

Employee job training step by step (not handbook)

So, I am trying to put some systems in place to train new employees how to trim or cut etc., a lawn efficiently and use the equipment properly. Basically a manual that a foreman can use for a standardized way to train new hires to do the work the way it needs to be done for my company. Has anyone attempted this and has any advice or maybe a sample I could turn into my own? I am going to turn over the reigns to a foreman this year and I just want to make sure everyone is doing things the way that I have found after years of experience to be the most efficient and highest quality. I am not looking for an employee handbook which seems to be the only thing I can find as I have tried to research this subject. Obviously its not rocket science but it would be nice to compare notes so to speak.

• SGL1
    replied
    Brookline,
    The tasks where most people have failed is edging a concrete driveway with a string trimmer at a walking pace, and trimming shrubs with a 2-stroke hedge trimmer.
    I feel so much better Chile. The two things I excel at!

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    I use a 50/50 savings method 50% is mine 50% belongs to my little outfit, after my overhead of course.
    So then ideally, handling your money like this forces you to not spend YOUR money on your business and it allows you to build up a nest egg?

Are there any tips you can give others how to keep yourself from spending money in the bank, just because it is there?

Leave a comment:

• biglee
    replied
    By this do you mean you need to have a lot of money in the bank from doing previous jobs?
    Absolutely, money needs to be managed from the get go, you will eventually build a surplus. Good news! Bad news is that it takes time and staying power. Kinda hard to manage money and maintain the capital for "staying power"

I use a 50/50 savings method 50% is mine 50% belongs to my little outfit, after my overhead of course.

I am money ahead just not quite enough to expand, then again I have been saving for many years.

I had over 20K in the bank 5 years ago.. what did I do? buy a truck for 18.5 cash. I had no need for it I just wanted it. I wish I had that money in the bank now! I have learned a ton over the years and the one reason some fail at this is simply human nature, we are after all creatures of habit.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    As to the strategy...well to give the short answer at least. You need to be money ahead to make it work...allot of money ahead!
    By this do you mean you need to have a lot of money in the bank from doing previous jobs?

Leave a comment:

• biglee
    replied
    What made you end up leaving them?

Also what do you feel gave that company an advantage to using that strategy vs you using that strategy?
    Same as every one else around here, I left this outfit to start my business. My old boss and I are still friends to this day. We fish together 2 times per month and talk nothing but business the whole time. I learned allot from him back then as I still do today.

As to the strategy...well to give the short answer at least. You need to be money ahead to make it work...allot of money ahead! I am not there yet, but I do well...Just not well enough. Not yet

The advantage that the company had well.... It seems you get to a point where it feels like doing business is free, at that point you can do whatever in the heck you want.

Leave a comment:

• ESREVER
    replied
    Where are you looking to work? Maybe someone on the forum can hire you?

I'm in East TN. Johnson City / Elizabethton area.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Where are you looking to work? Maybe someone on the forum can hire you?

Leave a comment:

• ESREVER
    replied
    I wish somebody would train me. I'm desperate for a job. My father had a stroke last year & I've been his primary caregiver for the last few years. He died last week & now I have no income & I'm having a hard time getting hired. I'd like to get a job mowing full time but all the ads I see want experience & they say mowing my own lawn doesn't count.

I'm in danger of losing everything I own including my 3 cats & becoming homeless.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    When I was Gm for a large franchise this is what I was taught.
    What made you end up leaving them?

Also what do you feel gave that company an advantage to using that strategy vs you using that strategy?

Leave a comment:

• biglee
    replied
    I guess I am in the wrong business. Can you imagine if a shop made that % of profit?! Shoot, on the odd part I might double my money, until I figure in the shipping costs, parts look up time, etc. Then its break even. I have rearranged some of my prices recently. My family must eat.

I know right!
    I had the pleasure of seeing this amazing strategy work with my own eyes it was AWESOME.

Now... if I could only make it work for my OWN damn business!!!

Leave a comment:

• SuperiorPower
    replied
    You must meet your weekly payroll and expenses for 1 truck in 1 day, to bankroll, 4 days profit per truck was and is the key to success for this company I worked for.
    I guess I am in the wrong business. Can you imagine if a shop made that % of profit?! Shoot, on the odd part I might double my money, until I figure in the shipping costs, parts look up time, etc. Then its break even. I have rearranged some of my prices recently. My family must eat.

Leave a comment:

• Greg'slawnandlandscape
    replied
    So, I am trying to put some systems in place to train new employees how to trim or cut etc., a lawn efficiently and use the equipment properly. Basically a manual that a foreman can use for a standardized way to train new hires to do the work the way it needs to be done for my company. Has anyone attempted this and has any advice or maybe a sample I could turn into my own? I am going to turn over the reigns to a foreman this year and I just want to make sure everyone is doing things the way that I have found after years of experience to be the most efficient and highest quality. I am not looking for an employee handbook which seems to be the only thing I can find as I have tried to research this subject. Obviously its not rocket science but it would be nice to compare notes so to speak.
    Honestly everybody will have there own way of doing it the best method is to cut out the micro managing such as the book could cause and show the employees what you want the end result to look like. It's a game of trial and error when they mess up give them advice on how to keep from making the same mistake ( small mistakes will be made it happens)

Now what I have done which works out great is I give out a binder with work orders and a check list of things to be done on that property that day a guide for them to go by

Leave a comment:

• Ninja
    replied
    Coming up with a manual is spot on. You need to be precise with directions so you can get what you want out of employees. Policies and precedures do wonders!

My new hires are trained off a basic typed up sheet of paper. I run a very basic standardized business, so we don't use heavy walk behinds, etc. I was reading Chilehead's response and I can already tell our company is 2 different variations.

When I came up with mine, it was designed based off how I designed my business. I did a test run with a partner years back and detailed everything we did and how we did it. I looked into mowing times, unloading/loading times, etc. From there, I came up with 5 easy steps for them to follow. If they follow them right, its easy to do and they can bang out yards pretty fast. For example:

1. Crew supervisor beings mowing, while helper beings trimming
    2. When helper finishes trimming, the helper will start edging
    3. Crew supervisor will blow off while inspecting helpers job, helper will load the truck up

Obviously more detail, but you get the idea.

The hardest step is letting the reigns go. Step back, observe, and correct if you have to. Let them steer the bus and step in accordingly. The worst you can do is micromanage them and they quit.

Leave a comment:

• biglee
    replied
    Do you feel at all that $8.00 an hour is going to make it difficult to find skilled men?

What do you feel is well enough to keep them and at what point do they make that money? Initially or after a certain probationary period?

Sadly yes, a skilled man with 1-2 years of verifiable experience in my area is worth only 8.00 per hour to start, and you can find good men for that money!

When I was Gm for a large franchise this is what I was taught.

8.50 - 9.00 per hour is great money to be a "skilled helper" in our trade, If one wants or needs more than that he needs to find a new profession.

And to quote the owner,

"We give no incentive, motivational pats on the backs or raises until We are satisfied with the job performance of an employee, receiving a raise is up to the employee. Raises will be awarded in 25 - 50 cent increments upon evaluation. This eval will happen when the expected production levels are met and maintained for 90 consecutive work days".

It could take one 6 months to get a 50 cent raise, We had men working for the company for 5 -6 -7 years making only 10 -10.50 per hour.

Good help is cheap to find hard to keep, you may go through 10 men to find only 1, but when you find him he will stick around until you run him off, don't ask me why.... I wouldn't.

You must meet your weekly payroll and expenses for 1 truck in 1 day, to bankroll, 4 days profit per truck was and is the key to success for this company I worked for. Good equipment, good accounts, and cheap help will get you there...Don't ask me why....I have no clue.

Leave a comment:

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X