No announcement yet.

Would you add a crew for $210.00 a day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you add a crew for $210.00 a day?

I am courious of where you would stand.
    I was approached and asked if i had a crew willing to maintain a 25 acre horse farm. It is more string trimming then mowing.
    To do the work it requires a single man to report on site, it requires a truck, 36" walk behind and string trimmer,string, a backpack sprayer and a blower.
    So in all I would be investing $6200.00 upfront in equipment.
    The gross job return pay would be $210.00 a day minimum( rain out days)
    And on a clean week the gross would be $385.00 a day, 5 days a week.
    They pay rain days.
    The employee would be on job 40 hours a week,make $14.00 hour before taxes

Is the job something you would send a man to do or would you pass based on to low of fee?
    I am sending a man out there Thursday to start.

My opportunity above is different then many may ever experiance so to open the floor for conversation
    Would you start a man on a new mow crew for a guaranteed $210.00 a day?

Have fun and lets hear your opinions.

I would pass, chances are they'll end up hiring a farm hand and you'll be stuck with your upfront investment you had spent just for this job.
    Don't Keep Replacing Lawn Sprinkler Heads
    Protect them with "Sprinkler Buddy"
    CLICK HERE > http://www.sprinklerbuddy.com

Comment

This farm has hired it done for 20 years.
      The reason it was offered to us was the company owner over the last crew there died and that company closed down, in doing so that man lost his job over the winter and moved away.
      Also understand we didn't bid the job It has been the same pay per week for them since day one.

I was asking if the 210.00 a day would be enough for you to start a crew for, reguardless of the job specifics.

Would you take the risk if you had been asked by several homeowners in one neighborhood if when you looked at your numbers it was $210.0 a day minimum 300.00+ a day average.

Comment

Have you figured out how long it would take you to make your money back on that investment?
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
        Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

What exactly are they doing if they are there evey day?

Comment

Have you figured out how long it would take you to make your money back on that investment?
            It will take approximately 90 days to break even on the equipment in the worst case scenario, of rain days messing him up.

Comment

Would you start a man on a new mow crew for a guaranteed $210.00 a day?
              What % of that would be profit?

Have you decided to go with it or no?
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

What exactly are they doing if they are there evey day?
                They are very public farm
                The guy will mow for a day or so,string trim and clean up for a day
                Then 3 days later mow again. He will use the farms four wheeler to spray their roads and trails and pick up debris.

They offer horseback riding and have 3-4 small cabins on a creek that they do
                Group outings to.

The guy will be more of a grounds keeper on call when needed then working real hard.

Comment

What % of that would be profit?

The way we break down the money is 1/3
                  So on a rain day of $210.00
                  $70.00 would be set aside for labor and taxes of the guy
                  $70.00 would be set aside for equipment fees
                  $70.00 would be set aside for business/ profit
                  As for a true % it would be all most the entire 30%
                  As it requires very little office support to opperate
                  After the first check clears we would begin moving a small fee over to retirement funds

Comment

We decided to do it and see in the first post. I just wanted to hear other members if they would take such a plunge.

If we had not considered the job and took it on it could have ment next year or even this year another lco would be in town.

I mean a no name says yeah I'll try it and buys a mower to lose the job in a month, what will he do now? Start followning around the real lco and try stealing their clients for cheap.

Comment

I am very happy to hear that you are taking on this job!

I was approached and asked if i had a crew willing to maintain a 25 acre horse farm. It is more string trimming then mowing.
                      Did you ask how this person initially heard of you? Was it through your marketing or word of mouth or what?

Is this the kind of job you could have gotten in you first year out or do you feel you needed to be around for a while in order to be found for such a job?

Comment

I am very happy to hear that you are taking on this job!

Did you ask how this person initially heard of you? Was it through your marketing or word of mouth or what?

Is this the kind of job you could have gotten in you first year out or do you feel you needed to be around for a while in order to be found for such a job?
                        I have known the farm for years but they had a good guy maintaining it , they recently called us off reputation and branding in the area.

I feel there is not a job out there a person can't get in year one if it is a job under par. I feel it boils down to image, personalities, wants and needs and if the client feels you can deliver it is a easy sell on the price.

Clients don't look for smooth talkers, cheap prices, they look for presentable people they feel they can trust on their property when they are not there and they want x done do it from day 1 and within a first year word of mouth will make or break you.

We were actually a company for 3 months (with nothing but truck name) when we got called on first by a golf course(6 seasons maintained)
                        The second year we got a $65,000.00 year account from a homeowner
                        3# $9'000.00 nursing homes
                        A contract for maintaining several Freds, dollar generals and longjohnsilvers( 125 stores total) $380'000.00
                        We maintained these jobs for years and stoped doing commercial for the most part so we did not renew as we replaced the money
                        In 2009-10 we completed a 2 year project for a new subdivision being built. form dirt to done 200 homes , irrigation, sod,hardscape, landscape and lighting 6 mil. Gross that has transitioned to a 5 year maintenance for the homes.

Every one of these jobs was ours from nothing but word of mouth and reputation and us showing interest in that type work
                        Now we have no interest in anything but mowing as to why we have such high numbers in doing this.
                        New shouldnt keep you from asking for it.

Comment

We were actually a company for 3 months (with nothing but truck name) when we got called on first by a golf course
                          Do you feel that you have been able to key in on something though that the average 3 month old company does not?

Do you see or hear of other newer companies getting such calls for jobs or do you feel your company was unique in it's ability to present well and network out better than others?

Comment

I do know many guys that are fairly new landing those type jobs or having good runs.

A guy in a town 30 miles south of here was a one man band 5 years back
                            He got grandpa to pay his equipment before he passed, everyone said good luck and last year he had 3 trucks and mowing some 300-400 yards a week.
                            And they do basic landscaping on Monday's.

His grandpa money bought him a lazer 60" 16' open and a f350 4 door in August
                            With no real accounts 5-6 lawns
                            He asked me about buying our old walkers, I told him just buy bagger for the z
                            That. October at the GIE he bought a navigator year 1
                            The first spring he did get seen more.
                            That fall he had another lazer
                            I then heard his numbers last spring and it was not posible with the equipment I had seen

Then I seen , it's possible I an certian
                            He has 2# lazer z the navigator, a jd stander 7 iron
                            Scag turf tiger and a walkbehind

Impressive numbers and growth comes from a good plan and impressive drive to be the best.

We turn down 800+ possible clients a year just because I don't push for more.

Comment

That is definitely a business strategy for everyone to keep in mind.

I bet this property owner knows a lot of others in the area and could find you even more work in the future.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X