Employees are a pain in the ***

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employees are a pain in the ***

I hired a guy part time and he seem like an ok guy a litte rough around the edges but at $10 its kinda what I was expecting. Any way fast forward untill his first day (yesterday) I get to the shop at 7 like I do every day. He was supposed to show up at 7:30, well 7:40 rolls around then 7:50 and he still isnt there. I didnt get a call or anything so I left and went to work. Well I didnt get a call or a text so I call him at lunch and I WOKE him up! Like are you serious I wish I could find some one who actually wanted to work!

I had these types of problems last year. This year though I seem to have some reliable guys. The only one that blows me off is my own brother.

Comment

How do you get reliable guys, My brother is 14 and he was on april break this week so I was able to give me a hand on account I had to fire that other guy haha I have a few interviews lined up woth other people so hopefully can find a new guy.

Comment

I hired a guy part time and he seem like an ok guy a litte rough around the edges but at $10 its kinda what I was expecting. Any way fast forward untill his first day (yesterday) I get to the shop at 7 like I do every day. He was supposed to show up at 7:30, well 7:40 rolls around then 7:50 and he still isnt there. I didnt get a call or anything so I left and went to work. Well I didnt get a call or a text so I call him at lunch and I WOKE him up! Like are you serious I wish I could find some one who actually wanted to work!
        Finding help is hard. Finding good help takes a Goddamn Miracle!!!!!!

Comment

How do you get reliable guys, My brother is 14 and he was on april break this week so I was able to give me a hand on account I had to fire that other guy haha I have a few interviews lined up woth other people so hopefully can find a new guy.
          It really is a guessing game. I found that anyone who has served in the military is generally a hard *** worker. The mornings wont bother them either.

Comment

Do you find that better employees are found through certain avenues while not so good ones are found in other ways?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Do you find that better employees are found through certain avenues while not so good ones are found in other ways?
              Thats exactly what I was trying to ask. haha my brain is fried from being stressed out it wouldnt process what I was trying to say

Comment

I found that anyone who has served in the military is generally a hard *** worker. The mornings wont bother them either.
                Haha, thanks! and the only reason the mornings bother me, not having that morning sh*t on time. When i was in the Army it always hit at the start of mile 2 of a 4 mile run. Now it hits as soon as I'm ready to walk out the door.

Cahin' - I haven't had to hire anyone yet, but my mentor in the LC business hired two guys....me and another....told us both on our first day...in one week one of you will have a job the other won't..... I got the job.

When i get busy enough to hire someone, i'm using that method. Most people think, "I got the job" so they already "won".....keep it open, so to get the job they have to bust their a**...two things happen with that...
                1-You know how hard they can work so they can't slack off after you hire them. They have no excuses since you know how balls to the wall they work.

2-You leave it up to them to make the decision for you. You're not firing them, or hiring them, they are hiring themselves.

Comment

so I call him at lunch and I WOKE him up! Like are you serious I wish I could find some one who actually wanted to work!
                  I wish I could actually sleep past 5 am
                  Chris Hoeltke
                  serving Winchester Virginia and surrounding areas
                  C&S Lawn Service

Comment

It's hard to find someone to work who has an eye for what needs to be done.

My guy rakes like my grandmother. I am already 75% more productive than he is on a job site, and it's not working out.

If I leave him to do 1 simple task, it takes him FOREVER, and he doesn't do it properly, and he wont listen.

When I ask him to blow the leaves out of some bushes onto the lawn, he doesn't have the common sense to actually GET IN THERE in order to get the leaves out. He'll stand there full throttle with the blower aimed at a bush several feet away, ... retard.

-

The plan;

I wanted him to blow all the leaves out from hidden areas onto the lawn so that I could mow them up. Then as he hauls the bags to the trailer, I would be trimming.

What happened;
                    I ended up mowing the entire yard (tractor in the front, self propelled walk behind in the back yard), trimming... He still hadn't done anything with the leaves....

I ended up helping him rake the leaves into a pile and bagging them the long way. My guy wasn't able to accomplish anything.

-

It really sucks when I know as a fact I could of had the leaves where I wanted them within 5 minutes front and back.. It's very stressful, I don't expect much either, just get something done!

-

Our first cleanup was a disaster. I told him to work with me to keep the leaves spread out onto the lawn so I could mow them up.

As soon as I start making my pass with the tractor, he's on the other side of the house. Meanwhile I have the leaves scattering around as I mow (very windy day), and he's not keeping them within the lawn, he's off doing his own thing.

I took the blower and did practically everything myself... The job ended with us raking piles and bagging leaves the slow way.

I just don't trust him with the tractor yet... useless prick.

Comment

well

my friend it might be time to let him go if you need to push him to perform and he still don't perform as you would like...

just my 2 cents he is your help...

lawnman3 fl...

<<<<<<<<< oh how much am i making on the general contractor add to the left here ....
                      Last edited by lawnman3fl; 05-01-2012, 06:28 PM.
                      { gettin after the green}...

Comment

Quality assistance is difficult to seek, but once you have it available it's your job to provide expectations and consistent work for them.

They will continue to work their asses off as long as you keep takin care of them.
                        It takes at least two steps to be 3 steps ahead!

Comment

I had a guy work with me exactly one day. Was paying him to help with some house flipping cleanup at $10 per hour. Basically what we did was haul away all the trash, carpet, pads etc. I guess that the only reason that he lasted a day with me was I was his ride home.

Well the next day he never showed and never called. Saturday rolls around and I finally get a call. I told him I pay on Fridays for that weeks work. They did not come over to get their money until 5 pm on Saturday and I so pissed I gave him a check instead of cash. Wait till Monday *******!
                          Pat

Comment

Working...
                          X