No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Undocumented Workers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.illegal is illegal...do it right or go home.
    From the immigrant's perspective though, living here illegally is 100 times better than living in their home country. It's well worth the risk to come here and work illegally. If they get caught, they just get deported. There aren't any consequences to it. Then they can just cross the border again a week later.....so for someone living in abject poverty in Mexico, it's well worth the risk. It's a better life, even if they are here illegally.

Is it wrong to come here illegally? maybe....but it's all about perspective. From a law abiding American point of view one will claim that they would never do such an unthinkable thing as break the law, even for a better life......but if you were born and raised in a country that is run more by criminal organizations than governments, where laws don't mean the same thing they do here, than the risk of deportation is a feeble deterrent vs. the possibility of a vast improvement in quality of life.

My point? The Feds need to secure the borders better so they can stop people coming here illegally. Because right now it's just too easy to get here and too easy to stay. The number of illegal immigrants in this country is over 11 million.

Comment

The first thing you read when you go to my site is were a family owned business with American workers. I think the customers appreciate that not only can they communicate with English speakers but that your a legit company not employing workers standing in front of home depot.

I agree do it legally. Both sides of my family immigrated here in the last 75-150 years. Its actually easier nowadays then it was then. So whats the problem?

Comment

When I was in Texas there was a BIG construction company, that would pay cash every Friday. All you had to do was go get in line, and get paid. Sounds great right? Well INS was always there, and If you were not legal to work in the US you were picked up, and transported to the border. OOOPs you didn't get your pay? Tough!

Comment

This is a topic I could go on for hours about. It seems like border states take the problem seriously, the rest don't.

Washington DC is voting right now to let illegal aliens get a drivers license. That's right, YOUR nation's capital has a high chance of letting border jumpers drive a vehicle. And get this, the county I live in is trying to pass a law that any illegal aliens that commit a misdemeanor offense will not get turned in to ICE. Their reasoning is its too expensive to deport them and too time consuming. In other words, so what if an illegal was driving a vehicle with no license, speeding, and got pulled over?? He'll still be able to stay! Some states are even trying to pass/have passed laws saying they can't ask for green cards or documentation that they are US citizens because it is considered "profiling".

The reality is most states could care less. It seems like when Barry Obama opened up the gates to America, everyone is welcomed with open arms and no penalties, that there are other important things than trying to deport illegal aliens. Maybe 10 years ago you could turn in an illegal and he will get deported, but in todays day and age....doubtful. Its the sad truth. Hell, look at how much flak sheriff Joe Arpaio has taken for his firm stance!

Restaurants are known for hiring illegal aliens. 2 years ago, there was a large restaurant by me who got busted...for the final time. Yup, he was caught twice before and was only given a slap on the wrist. The reason he got into so much trouble this time was because he was giving them fake social security numbers, paying them in checks (so they couldn't cash them) then taking out a fee to "cash" their check. He also had several houses where the workers stayed, and he took rent out of their checks. He was an owner/partner in 2 other restaurants. When ICE came knocking on all 3 of his restaurants, he got arrested. He's in jail now, paid millions of dollars to the government for tax evasion and money laundering. As for the workers? They were ran for warrants and let go. Shocking huh? An illegal alien detained by ICE was set free.

A local trash company near me is on the verge of losing a county contract worth millions. The reason being? Their illegal workers went on strike because their pay was too low. So now auditors are looking over the books to make sure these illegal workers are treated fair and given the money they "deserved". Not 1 got deported.

Do a lot of companies hire illegal aliens? Sure they do. Is it something I would do? No. Its none of my business what others do with their companies or who they hire. "Ratting" them out is a waste of time and I'd rather focus those efforts on my own company. Each company has their reasons for hiring illegals. As a veteran of the USMC and OIF/OEF, I support American workers. I also want my customers to know they can talk to us with no language barrier.

Comment

i am not a fan of illegal immigration and i just assume keep my opinion to myself in fear of offending too many people. but, with that said i operate out of nj and although all my workers are legal and i never hired a undocumented worker i can already see that after 23 years the day is coming where that may have to be a option.

first off, the majority of todays american youth is pure lazy 100% useless crap and would sooner go on welfare and public assistance then work for a living.
            i know there are some youngsters on this board that may be reading this saying " say what, mother F'er ? ". well, i am not talking about you and you are far and few between and you know exactly as much as i do that i know what i am talking about.

american kids today are attached to their phones chatting and texting back and forth all day as if it is their birth right and dream about making it to the big time without doing a dam thing.
            what cracks me up about these kids and the beeotch like talking habits is they are wasting their lives talking about nonsense and trivial crap as if the world revolves around it.
            i don't get it? i never needed that much attention when i was that age and being 47 years old, a father of 2 and running a business grossing 600K and i am not on the phone in a week as much as these idiots are in a day.

anyway, i am ranting and time to get back on track.

the undocumented workers show up ready to work and they don't complain and they are kind of the same mindset as americans were not too long ago.
            they know they have to work and they don't have a desk job so they just deal with it.

if i were to use these guys i would apply for the work visa route, i am not 100% sure what it's exact title is and is does cost a pretty penny but at least you won't go to jail.

undocumented workers are a problem and it does keep people from getting jobs but as time progresses there are less and less legal people who want these jobs.
            undocumented and illegal businesses are just as big as a problem and put just as many people out of work .

Comment

Its a hornets nest which I have strong feelings about this subject . In 2005 it was not a problem but now Its a big problem. I was talking to my accountant and the Obama admin was not doing anything. He had a client who had 12 illegals working for him and he got caught. The IRS gave him a pass. The accountant could not believe it. This summer there were 5 landscape crews lined up on the side of the road at a road safety stop. They were let go. I called the attorney generals office making complaints against them and nothing. I love the city's who demand a business license and never check to see if its legit. I am pass a boiling point with this state. How do I know if they are illegal. Maybe because they are walking around with 7000 in there pocket to buy a zero turn . I am ready to sue the state and cities for my loss of business due to this problem.

Comment

Its a hornets nest which I have strong feelings about this subject . In 2005 it was not a problem but now Its a big problem. I was talking to my accountant and the Obama admin was not doing anything. He had a client who had 12 illegals working for him and he got caught. The IRS gave him a pass. The accountant could not believe it. This summer there were 5 landscape crews lined up on the side of the road at a road safety stop. They were let go. I called the attorney generals office making complaints against them and nothing. I love the city's who demand a business license and never check to see if its legit. I am pass a boiling point with this state. How do I know if they are illegal. Maybe because they are walking around with 7000 in there pocket to buy a zero turn . I am ready to sue the state and cities for my loss of business due to this problem.

i hear where you are coming from and completely understand.
                it is so hard to do the right thing these days and by doing so puts you at a terrible disadvantage.
                the economics of this business is getting completely out of whack.
                you have legal businesses following all the rules competing with illegal businesses that don't and as a result their costs are a fraction of mine.

as i mentioned before we churned out 600 k in maintenance this year, sounds like a lot of money, and it is. but by the time you take out all the cost of doing business it paints a very different picture.
                42 k of that is sales tax, another 34 k for my contributions to payroll taxes, so far to date we spent 41 k on fuel, 22 k on insurance and workers comp plus countless other expenses and then on top of all that i have to pay the 9 employees my income tax and the businesses taxes.

when it is all said and done you would piss your pants if you seen what was left. the maintenance end is not as profitable as it was years ago and with all the bogus businesses out there under cutting everyone and driving the value of the industry down it makes it far more difficult.
                then you throw in illegal workers who work for cash and the employer is free from taxes and insurance, how are you to compete with that?

every unregulated industry that any person off the street can get into without any special licensing, training is exactly the same as landscaping.
                you can make a average living but you won't get rich.

most people spend their lives running their small business themselves and riding the mowers and being on every job always saying i don't need to be a big company.
                but then one little two fold flaw becomes a reality later down the line, you get older and you can not do it all anymore.
                the problem with that is all these years you were making money and getting by but your not rich enough to retire and you spent your whole life doing it all yourself so now you need to have people in place to do it for you and it just is not that easy.
                it takes years to get systems in place to run a couple or more crews and have everything work like a well oiled machine. and in order to have some decent money left over for yourself in this financial climate you need to have a couple solid crews to do that.

it is a different world we live in today and this industry has challenges that most other industries don't.
                and the government is certainly not doing any of us any favors and is probably compounding the problems with their inability to act and enforce laws that have been on the books for decades.

Comment

I have hundreds of photos I am ready to start a facebook page. The little ****suckers are pretty bold there was one who has on his truck "Pass the dream act now" and another one who clamed he was lic and insured. If they were not protected I would kick the **** out of them.

Comment

I have hundreds of photos I am ready to start a facebook page. The little ****suckers are pretty bold there was one who has on his truck "Pass the dream act now" and another one who clamed he was lic and insured. If they were not protected I would kick the **** out of them.
                    I'd say the only thing my state does right is prosecute anyone who claims to have the proper license but does not.

Comment

Is the problem of undocumented employees still as big of an issue now as it was a few years ago?
                      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                      Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I live in Texas and I won't use an illegal alien. I'm expecting any time the word to get out I run a landscaping bidness and my front curb to become the new Home Depot for my neighborhood. But I still won't hire 'em.

Now I may do a shot with 'em, just cuz I'm a swell guy like that.

Comment

Never hired an illegal alien, never will. It's a matter of patriotism for me. For the record I support capitalism, but patriotism trumps capitalism in my book.
                          integritylawnpro.com

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X