Thoughts on Undocumented Workers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Landscape Co Are Bad For That Here

THERE is a large landscape co in my area don't want to put any names out there but they are on i.n.s. hit list they are in the paper all the time when i mean large i know of 3 shops that they have 10 to 15 trucks each shop so 30-45 trucks most 4 door so 3-4 man crews what i have seen all newer trucks they have all the big grass cutting accounts/mulch all commercial what i see . it turns my gut to see them get bigger as some of us get smaller

Comment

I would like to point out that you dont 'have kids' by sitting on the couch
      Ahh yes how silly of me. Thanks for pointing that out

Perhaps I should've made clearer that the welfare recipients who generally "sit on the couch" AND "have kids" do not necessarily do both at the same time, nor does one inevitably cause the other.
      Last edited by element009; 10-18-2011, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Illegal Aliens do paytaxes when made to pay taxes, here in California you have to give your employees w2 forms even if they are illegal. So if you do hire an illegal Alien it is your responsibility to make him pay taxes, it is a misconception that since they are illegal they can not pay taxes at least here in California all Illegal Aliens have to pay taxes if they are working.

now about hiring them? well it is illegal and you can get a $10,000.000 fine for hiring them, if a business owner hires them knowingly i think it is irresponsible since they can loose everything they have but if you do hire an illegal Alien without knowing (if they present you fake I.D's) then i would say its not your fault, i would never discriminate anyone simply by the way they look, Lincoln fought hard for the freedom and equality of all and for any of us to descriminate because of how someone looks it is as wrong as willingly hiring an Illegal Alien.

hope this helps

P.S. Illegal Aliens with W2 forms pay taxes with a business number.

Comment

Illegal Aliens do paytaxes when made to pay taxes, here in California you have to give your employees w2 forms even if they are illegal. So if you do hire an illegal Alien it is your responsibility to make him pay taxes, it is a misconception that since they are illegal they can not pay taxes at least here in California all Illegal Aliens have to pay taxes if they are working.

now about hiring them? well it is illegal and you can get a $10,000.000 fine for hiring them, if a business owner hires them knowingly i think it is irresponsible since they can loose everything they have but if you do hire an illegal Alien without knowing (if they present you fake I.D's) then i would say its not your fault, i would never discriminate anyone simply by the way they look, Lincoln fought hard for the freedom and equality of all and for any of us to descriminate because of how someone looks it is as wrong as willingly hiring an Illegal Alien.

hope this helps

P.S. Illegal Aliens with W2 forms pay taxes with a business number.
          So you're saying in California it is illegal to hire an Illegal Alien and you can face 10K in fines if you do so.....
          BUT at the same time in California if you hire an Illegal Alien it is your responsibility to make them pay taxes???

That seems like two policies that don't really make sense together.

I agree that a lot of them present fake ids and those guys are paying taxes..but in those instances, as far as the employer knows, they are legal citizens.....however i know in NJ there's a lot of guys in landscaping who just get paid straight cash....and those dudes aren't paying income tax, soc security, or anything else that Uncle Sam says you and I have to pay.

Comment

So you're saying in California it is illegal to hire an Illegal Alien and you can face 10K in fines if you do so.....
            BUT at the same time in California if you hire an Illegal Alien it is your responsibility to make them pay taxes???

I agree that a lot of them present fake ids and those guys are paying taxes..but in those instances, as far as the employer knows, they are legal citizens.....however i know in NJ there's a lot of guys in landscaping who just get paid straight cash....and those dudes aren't paying income tax, soc security, or anything else that Uncle Sam says you and I have to pay.
            Im not a tax expert but the employer pay taxes on that income don't they. You have to report where you money goes and in the instance of payroll you have to have a ss# or a other #.
            Colton
            Mountain View Greenskeeper proudly offering yard care in the East Valley of Arizona.

Comment

Im not a tax expert but the employer pay taxes on that income don't they. You have to report where you money goes and in the instance of payroll you have to have a ss# or a other #.
              I assume they mark it as some other kind of expenditure instead of including it as a payroll expense when they do their taxes....I can't think of a reason to pay someone in cash if you were going to then report it as payroll. What would be the incentive to pay cash then?

Business owners who are paying illegal aliens in cash are doing so knowingly and illegally, otherwise they'd pay them in checks and make them pay taxes....So I assume if these people are comfortable breaking the law by hiring them, then they are comfortable breaking the law by not reporting their cash payroll

Comment

This is an issue that hits close to home for me. In '57 my dad, aunts, uncle and grandparents immigrated from Austria. They had to come through the system legally with all the hassle that goes along with it. They also had to work and support their family.

On my dad's side of the family, I am the first generation born in this country. On my mom's side, my great grandmother came to Washington State in a covered wagon at the age of 3.

These are NOT undocumented workers they are illegal aliens. Law breakers and should be treated as such. If they want a better life then they either need to come through legally or do what we did over 200 years ago to make their lives better. Sure a lot of people will get killed but freedom is not free as we well know. Just look what happened in South Africa in the not so distant past along with other countries like Libia today. People fighting for their freedom.
                Pat

Comment

This is an issue that hits close to home for me. In '57 my dad, aunts, uncle and grandparents immigrated from Austria. They had to come through the system legally with all the hassle that goes along with it. They also had to work and support their family.

On my dad's side of the family, I am the first generation born in this country. On my mom's side, my great grandmother came to Washington State in a covered wagon at the age of 3.

These are NOT undocumented workers they are illegal aliens. Law breakers and should be treated as such. If they want a better life then they either need to come through legally or do what we did over 200 years ago to make their lives better. Sure a lot of people will get killed but freedom is not free as we well know. Just look what happened in South Africa in the not so distant past along with other countries like Libia today. People fighting for their freedom.
                  I'm with you on that..Less than 100 years ago neither side of my fam was in this country. But when they arrived, they did it legally. Granted the US was pretty much letting anybody in at that point in time, which is not the case now.

It's a shame the Feds do such a bad job at fighting the problem.

Comment

Same here, my wife is from England and we're going through tons of paperwork just to get her a SSN so she can work and drive. Let alone having citizenship. The fees we have to pay are ridiculous and the wait time is annoying to say the least.

Maybe this thread isn't the one to say it, but Libya and Egypt are not fighting for their freedoms...Not all revolutions and protests are about gaining freedom. The only reason i'm bringing this up is it's a sore subject for me, I served two tours in Iraq, 27 month.....me and my brothers did not spend time fighting Al-Qaeda in Iraq and Afghanistan so our government could support them in another country, namely Libya and Egypt.

Comment

Yup California's government knows they have lots of Illegal Aliens in their borders so i guess it works for them.

on another note, i've always talked to friends and family about this issue extensively and i know that having an illegal alien working for us is not the way to go my father owns 2 different businesses and 3 apartment units here in california and he knows first hand that this Aliens are hard working people, having 2-3 jobs to stay on top of their payments, something other people might just ignore and go into bankruptcy, now I would hire someone who wants to work and help him/her try to get their documentation the right way, many would think this is wrong, but if i can find a good worker i would really try to keep him.

sure 200 years ago there was our independence day and then the civil war and slaves became free but come on do you guys really think that 12 million illegal immigrants not paying their taxes are the reason why our country is the way it is? i honestly don't. i've heard it all from welfare being given to the illegal immigrants to free medical services given to them, but what i know is the truth is that since 1994 when we started outsourcing our workforce and our businesses our economy started to tank... but the main thing started in the 70's but this is not a history class lol
                      so back to the point...

Hiring an illegal alien is still bad but if you don't know they are illegal then its not your fault :P guys remember our business is the first thing to go in hard economic times so lets think of how to improve our economy and lets include all of the people in the puzzle...

Comment

Illegal is illegal...my ancestors did it the legal way, i'm doing it the legal way with my wife... they can to.

If an 85 year old man can perform in the IronMan 140+ miles of swimming, biking and running. If a man with no legs can run a marathon. If some kid in poverty can grow up to make millions playing a sport, then a decent human being can go to a freakin office on his own and fill out the proper paperwork to start his or her way to being a LEGAL immigrant.

I do not care how hard you work, if someone sneaks in, and takes something from a diamond to money to a job illegally then he/she is not part of any puzzle i want to belong to.

"oh, he beats his wife and drinks a case a beer a night, but he's a hard worker" is as lame an excuse as "oh he snuck across the border, but he's a hard worker"...illegal is illegal...do it right or go home.

Comment

.illegal is illegal...do it right or go home.
                          From the immigrant's perspective though, living here illegally is 100 times better than living in their home country. It's well worth the risk to come here and work illegally. If they get caught, they just get deported. There aren't any consequences to it. Then they can just cross the border again a week later.....so for someone living in abject poverty in Mexico, it's well worth the risk. It's a better life, even if they are here illegally.

Is it wrong to come here illegally? maybe....but it's all about perspective. From a law abiding American point of view one will claim that they would never do such an unthinkable thing as break the law, even for a better life......but if you were born and raised in a country that is run more by criminal organizations than governments, where laws don't mean the same thing they do here, than the risk of deportation is a feeble deterrent vs. the possibility of a vast improvement in quality of life.

My point? The Feds need to secure the borders better so they can stop people coming here illegally. Because right now it's just too easy to get here and too easy to stay. The number of illegal immigrants in this country is over 11 million.

Comment

The first thing you read when you go to my site is were a family owned business with American workers. I think the customers appreciate that not only can they communicate with English speakers but that your a legit company not employing workers standing in front of home depot.

I agree do it legally. Both sides of my family immigrated here in the last 75-150 years. Its actually easier nowadays then it was then. So whats the problem?

Comment

When I was in Texas there was a BIG construction company, that would pay cash every Friday. All you had to do was go get in line, and get paid. Sounds great right? Well INS was always there, and If you were not legal to work in the US you were picked up, and transported to the border. OOOPs you didn't get your pay? Tough!

Comment

This is a topic I could go on for hours about. It seems like border states take the problem seriously, the rest don't.

Washington DC is voting right now to let illegal aliens get a drivers license. That's right, YOUR nation's capital has a high chance of letting border jumpers drive a vehicle. And get this, the county I live in is trying to pass a law that any illegal aliens that commit a misdemeanor offense will not get turned in to ICE. Their reasoning is its too expensive to deport them and too time consuming. In other words, so what if an illegal was driving a vehicle with no license, speeding, and got pulled over?? He'll still be able to stay! Some states are even trying to pass/have passed laws saying they can't ask for green cards or documentation that they are US citizens because it is considered "profiling".

The reality is most states could care less. It seems like when Barry Obama opened up the gates to America, everyone is welcomed with open arms and no penalties, that there are other important things than trying to deport illegal aliens. Maybe 10 years ago you could turn in an illegal and he will get deported, but in todays day and age....doubtful. Its the sad truth. Hell, look at how much flak sheriff Joe Arpaio has taken for his firm stance!

Restaurants are known for hiring illegal aliens. 2 years ago, there was a large restaurant by me who got busted...for the final time. Yup, he was caught twice before and was only given a slap on the wrist. The reason he got into so much trouble this time was because he was giving them fake social security numbers, paying them in checks (so they couldn't cash them) then taking out a fee to "cash" their check. He also had several houses where the workers stayed, and he took rent out of their checks. He was an owner/partner in 2 other restaurants. When ICE came knocking on all 3 of his restaurants, he got arrested. He's in jail now, paid millions of dollars to the government for tax evasion and money laundering. As for the workers? They were ran for warrants and let go. Shocking huh? An illegal alien detained by ICE was set free.

A local trash company near me is on the verge of losing a county contract worth millions. The reason being? Their illegal workers went on strike because their pay was too low. So now auditors are looking over the books to make sure these illegal workers are treated fair and given the money they "deserved". Not 1 got deported.

Do a lot of companies hire illegal aliens? Sure they do. Is it something I would do? No. Its none of my business what others do with their companies or who they hire. "Ratting" them out is a waste of time and I'd rather focus those efforts on my own company. Each company has their reasons for hiring illegals. As a veteran of the USMC and OIF/OEF, I support American workers. I also want my customers to know they can talk to us with no language barrier.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X