Employee Pay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee Pay?

Since I started my business two years ago, I have always been a "one-man show". I am now ready to hire a couple of employees this year. Pay taxes, unemployment, workers comp, all necessary legalities. One of the employees will be full-time. My question in regards to this position is what the best way is to compensate this individual? Hourly, Salary? I am in Missouri. How should I compensate him during the off-season? I don't want him to have to find other work during the off-season and permanantly leave me. I also want him to be able to supply for his family all year long. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
    Aaron

I pay employees by the hour, mainly because some are still taking University courses dueing the season, not all crews work on rain days and it makes things simple. Because you are required to take unemployment insurance they have some income during off season, it would be desperate hard to pay them year round if they are not working unless you banked hours and set the money aside.
    Andy
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Thanks for the response. So I guess you are saying that it is standard for employees to collect unemployment for a couple of months?

Comment

If you do it right you can pay them as contractors. Then you dont have to deal with any of that stuff.
        Colton
        Mountain View Greenskeeper proudly offering yard care in the East Valley of Arizona.

Comment

I guess that I need to some how find out what my competition is doing so that I can be competitive.

Comment

Thanks for the response. So I guess you are saying that it is standard for employees to collect unemployment for a couple of months?
            Our down time is December to mid March, so they can collect unemployment or there are odd jobs around especially December, a couple help me with snow removal but that isn't very constant.

Check your local laws on hiring as contractors, I would far prefer to do it this way however unless they register themselves, where I live, it's against the law and the government can really nail you.
            Andy
            Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

If you set their hours and tell them when to work, then you must hire them. Otherwise the KGB (I mean IRS) can come down on you along with state officials. This is especially true if you are their sole source of income. Here in MT if you sub the work you must have their paperwork on file that they are legit.
              Pat

Comment

Working...
              X