Question From Doug

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question From Doug

Doug wrote us and asked "I would like to know what the pros and cons are in running a small business under a ficticious name or my name, with a federal tax i.d. number or my social security number. I'm very unclear about the LLC or Inc. and what others there may be. I apoligize for making this such a broad general question, but I'm just trying to get all of the legalities correct and taken care of. Thank you in advance.

dougowensjr@aol.com
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your question. It is quite a tall order, however, because there are lots of differences between all the possible legal structures for your business. I would recommend doing a little reading & research to fully understand the implications of choosing the structure that you end up choosing. Most books on starting a small business will cover this subject and my book, 'Start & Run a Landscape Business', provides a good overview too.

Just to get you started I have provided a few bullet points below on some of the options available but please do a little reasearch and ask your financial advisor for additional advise (regulations may vary from state to state).

Sole Proprietorship
    - Easiest and cheapest to set up. Good one to start out with.
    - You can use your own name or a ficticious name.
    - You personally assume all liability to do with your business
    - Lacks tax flexibility

Partnership
    - Put everything in writing
    - Allow for graceful termination of agreement in the event that things don't go well.
    - Otherwise, much the same as proprietorship

Limited Liability Company
    - aka LLC or incorporated company
    - More difficult and costly to set up and maintain
    - Provides some protection against creditors
    - May be tax advantages.

Good luck with your business!
    Joel LaRusic
    Consultant/Author, Start & Run a Landscape Business
    www.mowboy.com

Comment

Working...