Success in business is never automatic. It isn't strictly based on luck - although a little never hurts. It depends primarily on the owner's foresight and organization. Even then, of course, there are no guarantees.
Starting a small business is always risky, and the chance of success is slim. According to the U.S. Small Business Administration, over 50% of small businesses fail in the first year and 95% fail within the first five years. Once you've reached five years, your odds of survival go way up. The number one reason why small businesses fail, according to www.sba.gov, is lack of experience.
We want to do something to help change this for two chosen startup LCOs (lawn care operators). That is what the L.C.O. Makeover is all about. Our partners at United Environment and Green Industry Consultants are gracious enough to provide their business consulting services, free of charge, to two LCO's. Each consulting company will choose one LCO to work with and help grow. We feel this is really going to change the life of those chosen in a very positive way.
How can you get this free business consulting for you and your company? Simply send us PM or email and answer the following questions. After the LCOs are chosen, we will post regular updates on the forum to share what lessons the consultants were able to teach the LCOs to help you learn and grow from this experience.
The following questions were created by the consultants to find those who would most benefit and grow from their free business consulting services.
1. If possible please include a photo of you, in your work clothes, in front of your equipment.
2. What state do you live in?
3. How long have you been in business?
4. Are you in maintenance and or construction?
5. What equipment do you have?
6. Are you licensed and or insured?
7. How do you feel these business consulting services would benefit you?
8. What are you looking to gain from these business consulting services?
9. How many customers are in your customer base?
10. Where do you see your company in 1, 5, and 10 years from now?
11. Are you the sole owner or do you have partner(s)?
12. How many employees do you have?
13. Are there any major events or trade shows coming up in your area, if so please be specific. What show, when, where and who will be there?
14. If chosen could we talk with any of your family members or friends, about your business and history?
15. Does your company provide estimates on an annual basis?
16. Do you want to have an all inclusive service?
17. Do you invoice once a month based on your estimates?
18. Do you have a niche or specialty? If so, what is it?
19. Do you network with other services to keep the customers in house?
20. Are you at least 18 years of age?
21. Please include your name, company name, email address and phone number.
If you are an LCO veteran and would like to help a new business owner as well, please contact us. We very much welcome and appreciate your help.