Half year mark review.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half year mark review.

Here we are entering June. With this being the half year point, how would you rate the year so far?

Was it better than you expected, about where you expected to be, or worse?

How has this year compared to last year so far?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

I am doing well this year compared to last. I will not say this will be my best year due to the fact of having my first 2 employees however things for me are looking up!

I have added 8 local commercial accounts this year, 43 residential homes inside of an hoa, common grounds for the hoa and a large industrial building that is just a mow spray and go.

94 accounts total.

And I am just getting started. I am on the hunt!

Comment

I have more than twice the amount of accounts I did at the start 9 this season. I have an idea and would like some opinions. I'm thinking of hiring a guy as a sales man to go door to door and business to business and try to get me all the work they can. I was thinking about offering 50% of however much I'm getting fir cutting the yard. Like of there's a yard for 30 bucks that will be a weekly regular, it would be worth me paying them 15 for finding it. I would almost pay the whole 30. I also thought about filling up their gas tank if they get me at least 5 a week. I also would offer a bonus once they get so many. Any thoughts on this?

Comment

I would almost pay the whole 30. I also thought about filling up their gas tank if they get me at least 5 a week. I also would offer a bonus once they get so many. Any thoughts on this?
        I have seen this idea come up in the past on here and I never saw it get any traction.

In theory it sounds like a potentially good idea, it just seems that putting this into action is problematic.

You can try it and see what you think or take the money you feel you would be spending to do this and direct it towards some local marketing.

Did you have someone in mind that would become your sales person or were you going to start looking for someone? The reason I ask is, if you knew someone, you might be able to experiment with it and get it started quicker to see if it would work for you.
        - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

great year so far

This has been one of the busiest years I've had yet. I temporarily lost one yard due to a lot of construction being done (why they didn't want me to just mow around the work I'll never know), but they said I'll pick that one up as a bush-hog job a couple of times this summer to keep it under control until all the construction hubbub is over. However, I picked up another to replace it. The new one is bigger, and MUCH easier to do than the one I temporarily lost so I'm happy. Most of what's been keeping me busy has been work other than mowing, some land clearing, landscaping, a spring pool opening, barn painting, a couple of customer lawn tractor spring tune ups, replacing a garage door spring, things like that, that I've picked up from my mowing customers. Things are starting to slow down a bit now that I've worked through some of those extra projects, but I'm still busy enough with some small jobs that are still coming in that I've gotten a local fellow to help me with some of the non-mowing jobs.
          One of the customer tractor tune ups is really an old beater tractor that a guy uses to move gardening things, shovels, rakes, seed etc.. in a wagon, and to mow around his garden that's out in a field that's as much rocks as grass so I don't mind not using my tractors to do that, not that I would. The other one is a weekender that sometimes has me do his lawn with my tractors if they're not coming out for a while, and sometimes he does it with his when he does get here. So if he's not using me full time, at least I can get a few dollars by servicing and repairing his tractor in the spring and during the season when it's needed. I'm happy with the situation. Makes a nice rainy day fill in type of job.
          This is my first year doing this full time and I have to say I should have done this twenty years ago, I love it. If anybody out there is on the fence about taking the step, don't put it off too long, jump right in. You'll have some problems I'm sure, every business does at times, but the satisfaction I've gotten by doing this has more than offset any problems I've had, and I haven't really had many at all. Just pay attention to your equipment, as the saying goes, "take care of your equipment and your equipment will take care of you."

Comment

I "inherited" 19 new residential cuts three weeks ago from a company that is phasing out the lawn maintenence end to focus on turf management. At no cost to me. So far so good!

Comment

I "inherited" 19 new residential cuts three weeks ago from a company that is phasing out the lawn maintenence end to focus on turf management. At no cost to me.
              That is fantastic news!

How did you go about making the transition from the previous company to you in order to keep the customers happy?

Also, how do you feel the jobs were priced compared to how you would price them?

Comment

That is fantastic news!

How did you go about making the transition from the previous company to you in order to keep the customers happy?

Also, how do you feel the jobs were priced compared to how you would price them?
                I have met a few of them. They seemed happy already so I continue to give them about the same service.

Pricing overall is a little lower than I'd prefer but the previous company underbid so I decided to accept it as a stepping stone to where I'm going. This is allowing me to save up for a new work vehicle. All clients are in a year long contract.

Comment

I have met a few of them. They seemed happy already so I continue to give them about the same service.

Pricing overall is a little lower than I'd prefer but the previous company underbid so I decided to accept it as a stepping stone to where I'm going. This is allowing me to save up for a new work vehicle. All clients are in a year long contract.
                  Make sure you leave your footprint in the neighborhoods you work in.

Comment

This year has been very mixed for me. I spent last winter ramping up my marketing efforts for greater online exposure. It payed off because I have had my best year financially, thus far. The two caveats from this are as follows.....
                    1.) I have not been able to secure an employee, despite the fact that I start pay at one's choice of $15.00/hour or $30000.00/year salary PLUS 5% commission on sales (one is not required to sell, but it is additional cash for the ambitious)
                    2.) I have had to turn down darn near $150K worth of work this year so far because of point number 1. If someone came on board, I could easily give them a raise to $40K a year after a year, and hire a second employee for another $30K a year.
                    3.) I have had to work 7 days a week for the last 2 months due to all the frequent wet weather. Burnout In Aug/Sept is expected, but in June it can really be detrimental.
                    integritylawnpro.com

Comment

What do you attribute the difficulty you are experiencing of not finding any employees to?

Comment

What do you attribute the difficulty you are experiencing of not finding any employees to?
                        I think the culture of the Gen-X/Millennial generations despises any non-white collar job, especially those where one will sweat and get dirty. Fact is, they really don't know what they're missing. Any of us here who have worked this trade know about all the perks that come with it. The experiences are quite enriching (at least for me). One will gain more knowledge, and have a better understanding of life/it's nuances working in this field vs. any other job IMHO. I did the white-collar thing and got bored with it. Long live grounds care!
                        integritylawnpro.com

Comment

I think the culture of the Gen-X/Millennial generations despises any non-white collar job, especially those where one will sweat and get dirty. Fact is, they really don't know what they're missing. Any of us here who have worked this trade know about all the perks that come with it. The experiences are quite enriching (at least for me). One will gain more knowledge, and have a better understanding of life/it's nuances working in this field vs. any other job IMHO. I did the white-collar thing and got bored with it. Long live grounds care!
                          I agree. I was seeking a new employee to terminate another one...it was so hard to find a new one that I darn near gave up. I gave the current employee a stern talking to and will deal with his flaws for the time being. But the hunt for a new employee continues.

This year has been very different trying to find employees. Last year, I could post an ad and get 20 applicants. This year, I'll be lucky if I get 5.

Comment

Last year, I could post an ad and get 20 applicants. This year, I'll be lucky if I get 5.
                            Do you feel that is a sign the economy is picking up and there are more jobs available or are people just not looking for work?

Comment

Do you feel that is a sign the economy is picking up and there are more jobs available or are people just not looking for work?
                              I wish I could say the economy....but I doubt it is.

I think it's the free goodies from the government. Some applicants won't even show up to an interview, leave the wrong numbers on applications, or go ghost when you email them. As long as they can get unemployment, why work another job? I had 2 employees quit last year, both applied for unemployment this year. Needless to say I will be fighting it.

With unemployment, obamacare, food stamps, housing, phones, soon-to-be cable/internet, these people are making out like bandits and make them not want to work.

It's a real problem.
                              Last edited by GreenWorx; 06-12-2015, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X