old man winter is not going away!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old man winter is not going away!

So here is my little update on winter. Everyone in the north hates snow and is looking forward to spring! We have been plowing every 2-3 days since December 8th. I think we have had about 20 storms when we average 15 a winter. The equipment is doing pretty good with all the snow and I have been impressed with the new plow setup I got! Yesterday we woke up to 2-3 inches of slush and rain. The weather men are calling for more subzero weather the next week or two. How is everyone else doing? Usually I'd be getting ready to start really going at the phone calls and advertisements hard this time of year but we have 2 feet of snow on the ground and the typical response we have been getting is (I would love to have work done on my yard but I can't even see what exactly may need to be done). Just a crazy winter I guess!

Money trimming the bushes (yep that what I mean), or plowing (yep again)
    money is money

Comment

Ive been plowing since the 22nd on November steady. Didnt bother to figure out the number of times yet but lots, more than normal..They are comparing the snow this year to the winter of 1978 up here. Good money though a good year all in all except I've had some brreakdowns, but thats how it goes...we have about four feet on the ground on the level easy.

Comment

Wow! That's even worse than here! Where are you located? I've had a few simple fixes on snow blowers, blew up my distributor on my truck, and got a bad battery on another truck. Overall not terribly.

Comment

Upper peninsula of Michigan. We always get good snow up here but this hrs been a really good year. Had to put a brake line, fuel pump, wheel bearing, and just now a new trans...guess its time for another truck eh...lol. I can't wait for spring, just hope the snow don't go into April like last year. I had to plow some commercial accounts in may a couple times...thought it would never go away. But its good money while it lasts.

Comment

How much extra do you feel you spend in maintenance costs per year on your truck when you use it to snow plow?
            - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
            Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Steve,

Depends on the winter. This winter we have had alot of snow but it has all be fluffy and light. Right now im at about $500 on my truck (the main plow truck) and $200 on my other truck.

Thanks.

Comment

So far this year it around, $6000 (just this winter) for parts and labor but I'm sure its more than that, but a couple are big breakdowns, fuel pump & wheel bearing, and brake lines, and just now the trans went out and had to get a new one. Not a normal year for breakdowns though, its normally for me around $6000 avg or so for the year on repairs for everything. This has been a long year so far, lots of snow and lots of breakdowns too, but haven't had a winter like this in a while...I'm looking forward to springtime... lol

Comment

What about snow plowing makes it so tough on the transmissions? Is it the clutch plates that go out or what?
                  - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
                  Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

I have never had any transmission problems on any of my trucks. We must just be lucky!

Comment

What about snow plowing makes it so tough on the transmissions? Is it the clutch plates that go out or what?

My plow truck is 1995 Chevy 2500. automatic trans. The constant start / stop forward / reverse heats up the clutch plates and bands and then the fluid. I was fortunate enough that mine only blew a fuse for overtemp. U-joints go out. Rearends blow up. Front ends get beat up from running into the snow pile.

Sometimes I wonder if it is worth it.

Comment

I would think its just the everyday repetativenes that wears them down. my truck gets used every day and is either plowing in winter or pulling in summer. I'm pretty easy on my equipment so I'm not banging into the banks or throwing it into gear from forward to reverse. Also it could be that some makes and models just simply hold up better than others....yes the clutch plates and bands take a lot of wear and tear compared to trucks that aren't used for plowing.

Comment

I would agree. During the summer we pull trailor with heavy mowers on them. In the winter I've got 2,000 lbs of salt on the back and a plow on the front. Something WILL break. The only thing we can do is pray its not too expensive and be careful with our equipment. This is also why we can charge as much as we do for these services.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X