No announcement yet.

Sample Cuts???? Are you kidding me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could you say something like, well we don't offer one time free cuts but we would like to offer you an opportunity to review our work and let us know after we cut your lawn, if you have any particular points you would like us to pay extra special attention too.
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Could you say something like, well we don't offer one time free cuts but we would like to offer you an opportunity to review our work and let us know after we cut your lawn, if you have any particular points you would like us to pay extra special attention too.
      He wasn't asking for free, he was saying he will pay once, and if he likes it, he will stay with me. I heard this song and dance before.

The only thing that held me back from any second cut discounts was the fact that the first cut was a "trial" cut, and a chance to earn his biweekly business. After that he could kick me to the curb at any time. We all know biweekly cuts never look good and I will most likely get canned. I'd rather fill his slot with a better customer.

Comment

Unless this is a rather nice home with an immaculate lawn where the owner wants to see precise striping pattern, or something, WHAT does he need to "see"?

grass not cut.
        grass cut.

How's that look?

Sheesh.

Comment

Unless this is a rather nice home with an immaculate lawn where the owner wants to see precise striping pattern, or something, WHAT does he need to "see"?
          It is silly, I know. But I can understand where the homeowner might be thinking. Not all landscapers offer the same quality of a cut. If he is going to pay $40 or $50 for some lawn mowing, I'm sure he wants to find the best crew before making a commitment. I'm not justifying "sample cuts", but we all know there are those guys that show up in a 1985 F150 with a 20 y/o Murray push mower and call themselves "landscapers".

I wouldn't be happy to deal with this sample BS either, but a little understanding never hurt

Comment

It is silly, I know. But I can understand where the homeowner might be thinking. Not all landscapers offer the same quality of a cut. If he is going to pay $40 or $50 for some lawn mowing, I'm sure he wants to find the best crew before making a commitment. I'm not justifying "sample cuts", but we all know there are those guys that show up in a 1985 F150 with a 20 y/o Murray push mower and call themselves "landscapers".

I wouldn't be happy to deal with this sample BS either, but a little understanding never hurt
            But there are other ways to approach it. I've had a few customers ask me what kind of mowers I use before I even give them a quote. They ask for the exact reason you said- showing up with a push mower.

This guy reminded me of the customers that call and say "We are accepting bids this year, would you like to put one in?" I never count on those types to go with me, they are only going to go with the cheapest price.

Comment

This guy reminded me of the customers that call and say "We are accepting bids this year, would you like to put one in?" I never count on those types to go with me, they are only going to go with the cheapest price.
              lol. People really do that? Call fishing for bids?

Comment

lol. People really do that? Call fishing for bids?
                It seems like all the crazy ones flock to me though.

Last month I got one, a lady called and said "Yes, I'm calling on behalf of Ms. XXXXXXX and she would like a price for biweekly cuts." I asked for the owners email, and she said she couldn't give it to me. She finally gave me hers, it was businessassistant with a bunch of numbers. I went over for a quote and drove thru the neighborhood of Mcmansions. I thought if an assistant has to call for her, it must be a nice house! It wasn't. It was in a townhouse unit shoved in the back of the development. Shocker I didn't land that sweet gig of mowing her weeds and dirt lawn.

At the end of last year I got another call from a lady requesting a quote. I told her I would stop by. She told me to "please hurry because I am currently accepting bids to mow my property". The house was so plain jane....no shrubs or plants or anything at all in the front yard except grass. The house was brick, but moss and cheap faded white paint was what made this house pop! The chain link fence was rusted and falling over. I quoted a fair price, but didn't get that one either.

I'll let you know next week of the newest crazy request.

Maybe I'll make every new customer fill out a request letter. They have to answer these questions:

1. Are you cheap?
                2. Weekly or biweekly? Refer to question 1 if it's biweekly.
                3. Will you nag me to death or let me work?
                4. Are you willing to pay me on time?
                5. For dog owners- do you pick up the dog crap?
                6. For parents- I run over kids toys,will you pick them up before I get there?
                7. Did you call any other companies?
                8. Are you going to waste my time?
                Last edited by LawnBoy0311; 04-08-2013, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X