No announcement yet.

Load of dirt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The customer asked for a pickup sized load so I quoted 45 for topsoil when I went to drop it off she said that the dirt was not enough and she wouldn't pay 45 for it......... How would you handle this.
    Could you use a word order or some type of purchase agreement in the future? Just something simple to say the customer has ordered X and wants it delivered?

Also, if it is not enough dirt, why not just offer to sell her more? Would another load make her happy?
    - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
    Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Could you use a word order or some type of purchase agreement in the future? Just something simple to say the customer has ordered X and wants it delivered?

Also, if it is not enough dirt, why not just offer to sell her more? Would another load make her happy?
      No she wanted more dirt for the same price

Comment

selling it by the truck load that's a new one
        What size bed 6' 6.5' 8' ?
        Are you trying to be a supplier?
        I charge the same dropped or spread

Comment

selling it by the truck load that's a new one
          What size bed 6' 6.5' 8' ?
          Are you trying to be a supplier?
          I charge the same dropped or spread
          I'm not trying to be a supplier the trailer is 8ft by 5 so it would be like a 8ft truck bed. It was also holding more whieght than a pick up ha payload

Comment

I just gave another quote to a new customer for 130 for 5 yards of dirt. I have a few questions.

1. I was told one yard of dirt whieghs 800-1000 pounds is this correct it seems like a low number to me

2. Was this a low price I can get one yard for $10 or for free from the housing developers

3. Shoud I sub out the job. All the customer wants is for the dirt to be dropped off. The contractors will drop dirt off for 40 per dump truck load. My question with this is will I make me look bad to say Ill drop it off and then have someone else do the work

Comment

I just gave another quote to a new customer for 130 for 5 yards of dirt. I have a few questions.

1. I was told one yard of dirt whieghs 800-1000 pounds is this correct it seems like a low number to me

2. Was this a low price I can get one yard for $10 or for free from the housing developers

3. Shoud I sub out the job. All the customer wants is for the dirt to be dropped off. The contractors will drop dirt off for 40 per dump truck load. My question with this is will I make me look bad to say Ill drop it off and then have someone else do the work
              a yard of dirt is 2000-2500 pounds. More or less depending on moisture.

You have to look at it. Sometimes fill is ok other times you have to get topsoil. I just did a job and the fill was $8 a yard, screened top soil was $12 and the better dirt was $16 a yard. I used the medium top soil in this case it was just to fill in a pool.

Comment

Your still undercharging. If you get a actual yard of dirt your trailer will be maxed out. You will have to take 5 trips. A yard will way down a 3/4 ton to the tires.

Comment

That last load I did was only 2 thousand pounds for 2 and a half yards. Something does not seem right the numbers arnt matching.

Sect landscapeing

I'm getting a bigger trailer this week so it won't be many trips maybe 2 at max

Comment

look at the bucket that loads it. The bucket on the right is 1 yard.

Theres no way your putting 2.5 yards of dirt in a 2000 GAWR trailer. Mulch would be pushing it but it could be done.

I think hes getting you with that scoop nonsense at 700-800 pounds a scoop.

Comment

Thier bucket was smaller by alot

Comment

Ask him what size bucket he is using. I think he is getting over on you.

We weighed a yard of topsoil at a place I used to work at. It came out to 2,230 dry. I know the consistantcy from place to place is different. But a yard will weigh in the neighborhood no matter where you are. And your trailer is probably a single axle by the size you gave us. No way your getting 2.5 yards on that trailer and making it to where your going.

A yard is 27 cubic feet. Build you a 27 cubic foot box and load the one scoop of dirt you buy into it. See how much it fills.

Your state should regulate people selling things by weight and quantity. To keep business from ripping people off. I know down here you have to register your scales for business use with the state if your using them to determine cost of a product.

If he is screwing you he is screwing everyone and I would report him. If he is selling by the scoop nothing you can do unless you ask him how big the scoop is and he lies.

There is a place down here that sales mulch at $22 a yard. They load with 4 yard buckets. You go buy 2 yards they give you more like 3.5 the loaders don't care. They make the same hourly no matter how much they load. But they make sure not to under load you because the state will get on that @$$

Comment

45.....DOLLARS?

Are you kidding me?
                          Yeah I laid out 3.5 yards of "three way topsoil" @ 65.00 each I buy the sh!t for 27.96 / yd and that's as low as I'll go if I'm doing the hauling.

Comment

Yeah I laid out 3.5 yards of "three way topsoil" @ 65.00 each I buy the sh!t for 27.96 / yd and that's as low as I'll go if I'm doing the hauling.
                            I agree. It's the cost of the..whatever it costs plus everything else. Then you have to take the time, and fuel, to go get it, then bring it all the way back. While you have a trailer with a full load, you have to drive much more carefully, and you are taking much more of a risk while carrying such a load.

I have no idea how you would make any money from delivering anything (even a bag of mulch from Home Depot) for $45.

Gregslanwandlandscape, this isn't the way to make money for your brand new 2014 Chevy 3500 dually that you want to get.

Comment

What weighs more: a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers?

Comment

i have never heard of soil, mulch or any other product that can absorb or trap water being sold by weight.
                                it is sold by volume not weight.

anyone who sells soil by weight is ripping people off.

1 cubic yard of top soil averages about a ton in weight and if it was wet it could weight as much as a ton and a half.
                                All the yards here sell there topsoil by ton mulch and compost by yard
                                Chris Hoeltke
                                serving Winchester Virginia and surrounding areas
                                C&S Lawn Service

Comment

Working...
                                X