No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever heard of Just Mow It? TJ Justice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the "lean and mean" approach. Why someone would have $100k worth of stuff on one rig boggles my mind. I'd rather have multiple economic trucks with crew leaders I can trust doing hundreds or thousands of lawns a week while I sit on the beach in Costa Rica than be tied to my stuff, because I'm afraid something's going to happen to it.
    I talked to another LCO, he used a mini van with 2 push mowers in the back. He had 2 workers too. He didn't work, he only drove. His prices were high, but he was doing city yards. He was saying years ago he had a truck, but sold it. He still has the walk behinds, but doesn't use them. He says life has never been easier since he stopped that. The gas on his van is great, and the push mower maint. has been easier to handle. Sounds like he had a good system going.

I've always thought about doing a spin off of that. Around me, townhouses are going up like crazy. This area is growing fast, so townhouses can pack more people in. My idea would be to buy an old Ford Ranger, push mower, and used trimmer. Also a hand held blower. 1 operator can hit all the townhouses. The profits on mowing these are large, they take less time, and can get more done. For example, I have 2 right now, side by side. No front yards. It takes me and my helper 7 minutes to do both. We charge $45 for the both of them. The only problem I see with that is my prices can't compete with a lowballer. Lowballers can't handle larger properties, where as I can.

Comment

I talked to another LCO, he used a mini van with 2 push mowers in the back. He had 2 workers too. He didn't work, he only drove. His prices were high, but he was doing city yards. He was saying years ago he had a truck, but sold it. He still has the walk behinds, but doesn't use them. He says life has never been easier since he stopped that. The gas on his van is great, and the push mower maint. has been easier to handle. Sounds like he had a good system going.

I've always thought about doing a spin off of that. Around me, townhouses are going up like crazy. This area is growing fast, so townhouses can pack more people in. My idea would be to buy an old Ford Ranger, push mower, and used trimmer. Also a hand held blower. 1 operator can hit all the townhouses. The profits on mowing these are large, they take less time, and can get more done. For example, I have 2 right now, side by side. No front yards. It takes me and my helper 7 minutes to do both. We charge $45 for the both of them. The only problem I see with that is my prices can't compete with a lowballer. Lowballers can't handle larger properties, where as I can.

You said you were thinking about doing a spin off of this...what's stopping you from trying it?

Comment

You said you were thinking about doing a spin off of this...what's stopping you from trying it?
        I know its an old thread, but i wanted to pick it back up. The reason I havent done it yet is because I'm moving in 2013. My wife and I lived in NC for a little while, then I was deployed to Iraq. After I got home, we moved to where we are now to be with her family. We just bought some land in NC and plan to build on it. It's 7 acres, so some of it will be used to house equipment and trucks.

I'm in the process now of getting a good attack plan going for down there. Part of the plan is to try and see what the best operation would be.

If we stayed here i'd definatly do it. Especially around me now where all the properties are the same size. Not to mention washington DC is just down the street.

Comment

Has anyone thought of or is doing the justmowit concept?

Comment

I know its an old thread, but i wanted to pick it back up. The reason I havent done it yet is because I'm moving in 2013. My wife and I lived in NC for a little while, then I was deployed to Iraq. After I got home, we moved to where we are now to be with her family. We just bought some land in NC and plan to build on it. It's 7 acres, so some of it will be used to house equipment and trucks.

I'm in the process now of getting a good attack plan going for down there. Part of the plan is to try and see what the best operation would be.

If we stayed here i'd definatly do it. Especially around me now where all the properties are the same size. Not to mention washington DC is just down the street.
            Thank you for your service! What branch are/were you in?

Comment

I like the "lean and mean" approach. Why someone would have $100k worth of stuff on one rig boggles my mind. I'd rather have multiple economic trucks with crew leaders I can trust doing hundreds or thousands of lawns a week while I sit on the beach in Costa Rica than be tied to my stuff, because I'm afraid something's going to happen to it.

it depends on what you are doing and your return on your investment and all those multiple economic trucks and crews all add up to the same as one big crew and rig set up.

i have over 100K set up in just my trailer and it's content's not even including the truck and other equipment and the type of work we are currently doing and have been doing could not be done any other way.
              all of our sites have been huge and some have as much as 20 acres of grass to be mowed weekly and the amount of leaves in the fall is so immense it would make you puke.

in the end it really don't matter what you set up cost you and the only thing that matters is what it is bringing you back in return.
              if your set up cost you 10K and you are making 50 to 70K then you done good.
              if your rig cost you a 100K and you are bringing in 500k then you done good.

every business and it's bottom line is different and the only thing you can go by is how you do your thing based on the market you are working in and how much money you are making.

Comment

it depends on what you are doing and your return on your investment and all those multiple economic trucks and crews all add up to the same as one big crew and rig set up.

i have over 100K set up in just my trailer and it's content's not even including the truck and other equipment and the type of work we are currently doing and have been doing could not be done any other way.
                all of our sites have been huge and some have as much as 20 acres of grass to be mowed weekly and the amount of leaves in the fall is so immense it would make you puke.

in the end it really don't matter what you set up cost you and the only thing that matters is what it is bringing you back in return.
                if your set up cost you 10K and you are making 50 to 70K then you done good.
                if your rig cost you a 100K and you are bringing in 500k then you done good.

every business and it's bottom line is different and the only thing you can go by is how you do your thing based on the market you are working in and how much money you are making.
                That's really sound advice DPLD. Obviously most markets are different, and within those markets some mowing strategies work better than others.

Comment

Thank you for your service! What branch are/were you in?
                  Thanks! I was in the Marines. 2003-2007 Infantry. Fun times, buthappy to be out!!!!!!

Comment

I was reading A LOT about just mow it and TJ. It seems like he's pretty much figured out a really steady plan for his business.

From what I read, he cuts 36 weeks. Theres 15 routes, each route has a 3 man crew,mowing 40 lawns a day. All mowers are 21" mowers. His crew does mow, trim, edge and blow. Prices start from $23, and he charges by the square foot by looking it up with GIS or county websites-not by looking at the property. He uses H2B employees (pretty much Mexicans with work visa's), and pays them based off the square footage and I think how many they cut. Maybe a percentage?? Thats pretty much it in a nutshell, obviously theres a hell of a lot more to it though.

What I do know is you CAN NOT do this everywhere. All the properties have to be relatively the same and minimal amount of trees. He has a VERY strict guideline for his customers to follow.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has tried it and how it worked out.

Comment

Working...
                    X