No announcement yet.

Customers Restricting My Income?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, I thought I had it bad with prices in my area, $20 to $25 is an hour is extremely low. The low guys in our area is around $50.
    Hell, I would be lucky to get $20/hour where I'm at. I live in northern Michigan and most people have cottages around the lakes up here that live down state. I think I come out most of the time making around 15-18 bucks an hour.

Comment

Location. Location. Location.

I turned down a job yesterday. The front was two steep, dangerous hills, and then you had to lift the mower up over a 3 foot stone wall to the next level to do the back yard.

I'll pass. I did tell her that if I were to take it, I would probably be looking at $45 to cut it due to all the "obstacles".
      "Yeah, I figured it would be about $50", she said. "You're the first person to even come over to look - I called four others before finding you".

She said that she's from Florida and down there people FIGHT to mow your lawn and she can't even find someone to LOOK at it here.

I'm done doing "charity work". If it isn't within the range I'm willing to work for, I will pass on it and take something else that's less work and pays more money.

Comment

Yeah, "charity work" is no fun, but when your starting out, its hard (atleast for me) to turn down any work, especially in this day and time.

Comment

After reading this I found some great stories of it's ok to say "no" to a customer.

Comment

Hell, I would be lucky to get $20/hour where I'm at. I live in northern Michigan and most people have cottages around the lakes up here that live down state. I think I come out most of the time making around 15-18 bucks an hour.
            Don't let them fool you. I don't know where you are in Northern Mi. but I am in the upper peninsula and I don't do anything for less than $25 an hour and that is at the bottom for manual labor stuff. Price goes up depending what equipment your using. Mowing rates are based on $45 an hour but I usually quote a price so there is a chance we can make more. Just remember if they can afford a second home, camp, or cottage they can afford to have someone take care of it.
            Most importantly, to all you guys that think you should start out cheap. Don't cut yourself too short, its a lot harder to raise prices if you come in as the cheap guy. Do good work and you will always be rewarded with more. Remember equipment doesn't last forever and you shouldn't have to borrow money every time you need to replace something.
            Also remember if your not charging enough that you couldn't pay someone else to do the job and turn a profit, your not making any money either..

Comment

Also remember if your not charging enough that you couldn't pay someone else to do the job and turn a profit, your not making any money either..
              For the newer guys that are still trying to figure this out, at what point did you come to this conclusion with your pricing or did you do this right from the start?
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

For the newer guys that are still trying to figure this out, at what point did you come to this conclusion with your pricing or did you do this right from the start?
                Like many others starting out I thought $10-15/hr was enough for manual labor. It pays my wages right? Wrong. I noticed the problem when I started hiring. Now your paying for workman's comp, travel time between jobs, and safety equipment, extra time for training, ect. One of my old bosses once told me that you should be generating at least double what your paying your employees to make it worth while. After all what's the point of hiring if your not going to make any money from them? Remember if the company is not making money you won't have a job long.

Comment

When I am talking to a potential client and they say "Well i got a guy that does it for $20" and I am asking $35, the first thing I do is ask if this guy has signs on his truck. The answer will always be no. Then I tell the customer they don't have signs because they are an illegal business that doesn't pay taxes or carry insurance. I explain to them that these business are quick to disappear if any problems occur (damage property or injury). I have actually found that a lot of people will actually tell me they had a guy 2 or 3 years ago damage something and then disappear. I explain to them that if something does happen, I will be there to make it right. I get these accounts about %25 of the time. But for 10 minutes of conversation it is worth it.

Also as far as the people that are low income, you could offer a value package to them (just mow and trim), but i would require payment upfront. For people that are on a fixed budget (elderly) don't sell your services, sell yourself. You would be surprised how many elderly people will hire you just because you talked to them for 20 minutes about sports, weather, or whatever. They want to know that you are not just spitting out a 10 second scripted sales line and moving on, but know that you actually care. I sold cars for a while, and every time an elderly person would come in, I would show them a car and then quickly change the subject to something personal (look for team logos, military logos, or even injuries) They always bought the car. I sold a car to one guy by talking about his scar on his arm for 20 minutes.

Comment

Just to throw in my two cents....

It will get better as you gain confidence and your list of quality regular customers grows...Starting out in this business is the most stressful time that you will probably ever go through and it's totally up to you how long it lasts...The more aggressive you are in establishing yourself and your business will determine your success or failure...

I no longer worry about the other guy ! When I see others running around the area with the push mower sticking out of the trunk I just shake my head and grin....

The PITA customers will always call these guys to save a buck..Trust me! you don't want those customers...

When I joined this group I read up on all the advice that was given and used what worked for me..Everyone has a different situation depending on where they are from, What works for CHEESE ! won't work for everyone !...

If one statement sticks in my mind from this forum ( I don't even remember who posted it ) and I will never forget it...While you are mowing for a customer and you are thinking to yourself, ( I am not getting paid enough to do this ) then you need to raise your price !

It takes time...You are not going to be the biggest or the best right out of the gate, you need to learn as you go and try not to make the same mistake twice..You will make mistakes !!

As far as what to charge ? You have to figure out your cost and then decide how much goes into your pocket..Nobody here can tell you how much that would be, you and only you can determine what you need to charge..You will learn how to do that over time...

To wrap this up...Be confident....Be proud of the service you give....Live & Learn !!
                    Last edited by Caskey Lawns & Landscapes; 01-29-2014, 11:45 AM.

Comment

It takes time...You are not going to be the biggest or the best right out of the gate, you need to learn as you go and try not to make the same mistake twice..You will make mistakes !!
                      How long do you feel that process took to where you started to feel comfortable with your business and felt you were charging a good rate?
                      - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

Personally , I felt pretty good about pricing after the first year but to be honest...Every now and then I find myself thinking that I could have charged more for a job....Never to old too learn

Comment

Every now and then I find myself thinking that I could have charged more for a job
                          Do you find certain jobs are tougher to estimate than others? If so, which are the worst to easiest?

Comment

For me I would say mowing is the easiest to estimate, I don't measure anymore....I can look over an area and set a price for it....

I would say that a total labor job without materials is the hardest to estimate, I'm talking about brush removal/cleanups such as overgrown lots, etc...You can't see what's hidden all the time and it bites you in the a@! once in awhile...I learned to cushion these kind of jobs to help with that...

Comment

I learned to cushion these kind of jobs to help with that.
                              For such jobs, what kind of % increase cushion do you recommend?

Comment

Working...
                              X