Help a Brother Out - Quick Tips that Make a Difference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help a Brother Out - Quick Tips that Make a Difference

I thought that this would be a good way to share tips and advice that may be useful to others. Not geared to any one topic - just things that may make life easier for someone - whether a noob, or seasoned veteran.

Feel free to add your suggestions on products that work, things that increase productivity, ways to stay safe on the job, and so on. From mowing tips, to paperwork management, to your favorite ink pen - anything that may make life just a little bit better/easier/faster/safer for someone else.

I was inspired to start this thread after having spoken to an older gentleman who was working across from one of my clients. We both stopped for a few minutes to talk shop and even in those few moments, I picked up some valuable tips for which I was quite thankful.

Even as a relative noob, there are all sorts of little things I've discovered that others may find useful as well.

Even if you think it's common knowledge, please share your ideas. There are a ton of people who read this forum who would probably appreciate a little help from a stranger - I know I do.
    How about it - can you help a brother out?

• Sully01
    replied
    I want to ask if anyone on here has updated their riding equipment with tracking software for their business? We have had equipment stolen before and let me tell you. Not. A. Good. Day. To replace the equipment is expensive not to mention the opportunity cost of having a rider out of operations along with the missed value on how long it would have lasted with regular upkeep. So I am not a happy camper. So I've been looking for a tracker and came across track your truck. I would first like to know if anyone has used heavy equipment tracking and how it went for you.
    Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• SGL1
    replied
    Believe it or not, I'm completely bald and normally work in 95+ Houston heat with nothing on my head and amazingly enough don't seem to burn even after 2 yrs doing this. I've tried hats, doo rags, headbands and just about everything else to keep my dome cool. Seems if anything is on my head it sweats balls and makes things worse.

The headband works ok and I always keep a microfiber towel on hand and have recently been using it as a head cover and its actually worked fairly well. After a day my head fuzz keeps it sticking to my head and it keeps the sun off my head/neck but allows any breeze to filter through.

Plan to get an Aussie Chiller hat soon so we'll see how those work.

Leave a comment:

• acrajchel
    replied
    Ive tried the Mission cooling hats and bands, the Columbia Omni-Freeze hats and bands, wet towels, fishing hats, fishing shirts, hiking pants, etc., just about everything to stay cool. I sweat sitting down in a 70 degree house, so I run hot and needed to stay cool. Honestly, nothing beats 5 minutes under a shade tree with a cool bottle of water once every 30-60 minutes. I can go all day.

Leave a comment:

• SGL1
    replied
    Or get this!

https://www.amazon.com/Chill-Pal-Ult...dp/B00MLGB3M0/

You know what's refreshing? A cold shower.

You know what's awesome? A cold shower on the go!

When it's really hot out, nothing will cool you down throughout the day like a wet towel.

Leave a comment:

• Crossett73
    replied
    The best productivity solution that I've found so far is the Pomodoro technique. Basically, you work your butt off for 25 minutes straight and then take a 5 minute break where you DON'T DO ANYTHING, except maybe think about what you're going to do next. This has been the most effective way, in my opinion, to keep being productive and avoid burn out.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    Can anyone else share a tip they learned this year?

Leave a comment:

• SGL1
    replied
    If you want a happy life marry an ugly wife.
    Beauty is skin deep...but ugly goes to the bone.

Leave a comment:

• SGL1
    replied
    If you react to poison ivy - be prepared!

You guys that are immune to the stuff are lucky. I have to say that up until that bad case I had, I had never had poison ivy before. If you knew the hell I went through, you'd understand why I keep a box of supplies on hand. If I even think there was a CHANCE I had come in contact, I wash up as soon as I finish the job. I had a mild case on my legs and forearm last year after hitting some with the trimmer, but I think that by washing often, I prevented a serious case of misery.
    I often wonder if I'm immune because I have never to my knowledge had a problem with PI. I have skin issues too but that's mainly because I'm an old fart now. But I've never been one with allergies of any sort.

Leave a comment:

• Hedgemaster
    replied
    I actually have a bicycle water bottle holder sitting in the garage waiting to be installed on the handle of my push mower.

I tried a "clamp-on" type, but it wouldn't stay in place, so I want to screw/bolt it on.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Tip #A45B

I'll have to take a pic tomorrow, I didn't think I'd be posting this tonight.

It's been HOT here. 105 actual temp today with heat index of 110. Same for tomorrow.
    Less than 2 inches of rain since June 1st.

Keeping cool is a need...so I installed a bicycle water bottle holder onto my mower. The night before I go out to work I fill 4 water bottles halfway with water and freeze them.

When i get out to mow a lawn I take the ice bottle top it off with water, place it in the holder and start mowing. The ice melts a bit, but it keeps the water cold throughout instead of having warm water by the time you're finished. I have a 2 gallon water jug filled with water and blocks of ice I freeze in empty butter tubs.

Leave a comment:

• CHEESE2009
    replied
    Tip #9897

Your voicemail should encourage callers to leave their address, along with the service they require.

This is so you don't have to call them back and get stuck talking to them for an hour. You can also listen to the way the person speaks, to see if he/she is too much of a prick for you to even bother with. LOL.

Any calls that say, "my old grass guy just left me".. well... that doesn't necessarily mean the previous guy was bad, but maybe the customer scared him off.

Or maybe, the customer ate him.

-

I remember a lady calling me just to complain about the grass guy she fired, she got so mad thinking about it, she ended up hanging up on me before leaving me any details of what she wanted.. wtf.. lol

Leave a comment:

• Godslapper
    replied
    I always tell my guys Quality over quantity. Then I tell them to go faster.

Leave a comment:

• CHEESE2009
    replied
    Tip#2140

If you ever get discouraged, and feel that the quality of your work could be better, slow down and take your time - don't think about how many clients left you have to do for the day, or how behind you are.

Always remind yourself,
    "I am right for taking my time, I'd be wrong for being anxious".

It's not necessarily about taking your time in order to provide proper quality, it's all about keeping your sanity, and keeping yourself from being overly anxious.

Make some adjustments if you find yourself stressing out, let the forum know about what's stressing you out, and we'll help!

Leave a comment:

• WorkForMySelf
    replied
    PROBLEM: I hate when my fingers get cold. Cold and wet is even worse.

I always have several pair of gloves in the truck just in case, but I hate putting cold gloves on cold hands - what's the use?

SOLUTION!

I have a portable refrigerator that is primarily designed for vehicular use. I picked it up years ago to keep at my desk to keep my soft drinks handy when I was working my indoor job.
    It also has a "WARM" setting, so I dug it out of the basement and plugged it into the outlet in my truck...

TA-DA!!! WARM GLOVES!!!

I must have that. Tell me all there is to know about this.

Leave a comment:

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X