Help a Brother Out - Quick Tips that Make a Difference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TIP # 945

Call me crazy, but I keep a spare gas cap in my tool box.

Once, I topped off my mower at the truck before heading to the lawn. I started mowing and noticed that my gas cap was missing!
    I'm not sure what happened, but I think I had set the cap on the mower while filling and in the process of putting the can back in the truck, I forgot to put the cap back on and it fell off somewhere on my way to the lawn.

Initially I couldn't find it as I retraced my steps. I was going to use the plastic wrap from my sandwich and duct tape it over the gas tank, but at the last second, I found my cap.

On second thought, how about I make TIP #944 "REPLACE gas cap before putting away gas can!" LOL!

Comment

TIP #966

Keeping the grass out of the washing machine keeps YOU out of the dog house!

I picked up a long handled brush at Wmart. I keep it in the garage for quickly removing the debris that is stuck to my pant legs before entering the house and depositing my grungy clothes in the basement hamper.
      Sure, you can brush it off by hand, but this is faster, and easier, with no bending required.

Comment

Lost two gas caps last year, first ever. One off the lawn tractor and one off the push mower. All with in a week. go figure.

Comment

I also used to hear that leaving your hitch on without towing a trailer is illegal, glad to hear that it isn't. I would have been breaking this law for years, lol.

I love when cars aggressively tailgate me. I sometimes hope that they would crash into the back of my truck. I would get a good laugh at all the damage that the car would receive, as nothing would happen to my truck.

A hitch is a little force field, and idiots behind us don't 'get it'.

Comment

I have a ball mount for weight distribution bars and an anti sway bar for pulling our camping trailer that looks a lot like this...

I really did notice people staying back when I had that hunk of steel on the back of the truck.

Comment

I finally have a tip.

I learned this a couple years ago after trimming a long sidewalk on a HOA common area...

Always carry a spare length of trimmer line. Nothing sucks worse than being the furthest from your truck, and the trimmer revs up and spits the last bit of trimmer string out into the yard, the engine revving is close to a mocking laugh.... Ya know you never run out a few feet from the truck, it's aaaaalways at the furthest corner of the property...

I took this tip a step further and when I buy a roll of trimmer line, i take the time out to cut off lengths of line my trimmer takes and roll it up and hold it with a bread tie. Each week I restock my supply. That way it saves you the time on the job from stretching and cutting. You have 20ish rolls of line ready to go, just undo the bread tie load and go...

Comment

Oh and an addendum to hedges brush for grass off the clothes...

My wife, being the ever so handy seamstress made a laundry sack that hangs on the bathroom door. It's exclusively for my work clothes....they stay separate from other clothes and get washed separate...

You can get these bags dirt cheap and Wal mart....

Also, she made me a handy dandy denim trash bag to hang on my Ferris to grab trash on properties.

Comment

I finally have a tip.

I learned this a couple years ago after trimming a long sidewalk on a HOA common area...

Always carry a spare length of trimmer line. Nothing sucks worse than being the furthest from your truck, and the trimmer revs up and spits the last bit of trimmer string out into the yard, the engine revving is close to a mocking laugh.... Ya know you never run out a few feet from the truck, it's aaaaalways at the furthest corner of the property...

I took this tip a step further and when I buy a roll of trimmer line, i take the time out to cut off lengths of line my trimmer takes and roll it up and hold it with a bread tie. Each week I restock my supply. That way it saves you the time on the job from stretching and cutting. You have 20ish rolls of line ready to go, just undo the bread tie load and go...

... and it always runs out when you have just ten more feet to go before you're finished.

I already pre-cut my string and put the two lengths together with a twist tie, but I never thought about carrying any in my pocket.

Comment

Oh and an addendum to hedges brush for grass off the clothes...

My wife, being the ever so handy seamstress made a laundry sack that hangs on the bathroom door. It's exclusively for my work clothes....they stay separate from other clothes and get washed separate...

You can get these bags dirt cheap and Wal mart....

Also, she made me a handy dandy denim trash bag to hang on my Ferris to grab trash on properties.
                    I need a trash bag for my mower too, but it needs to be made of steel, and powdercoated Ferris red. You know... so I can WAX it.

My work stuff gets washed separately as well. It all goes in together regardless of what color (of green) it is.

Comment

My work stuff gets washed separately as well. It all goes in together regardless of what color (of green) it is.
                      Yup....

wife: "Whites, colors and greens."

Greens being anything and everything I wore for the week, whether it used to be white, khaki or gray.

Comment

TIP #43

If you carry a smart phone, use a notepad/memo app to note serial number/model number of equipment, and part numbers for commonly replaced items.

I was out tonight and grabbed some motor oil for my new mower, and figured I'd also get a filter while I was at it, but didn't know what filter to buy.

Comment

how bout having a broom included in the rake rack? I learned the hard way had a client who had lots of dirt u guys can imagine, so we have brooms and landscape brushes to clean off the grass clipings its actually pretty fast and no crazy dust.

BTW never had a fire extinguisher but i will got to the local hardware store or the shop and get 2 and how do u guys fasten them in ur truck?

Comment

I have 2 fire extinguishers one mounted behind the driver seat of the truck and one mounted on the trailer
                            As far as tips
                            Always Check your wife's spelling BEFORE paying to have flyers printed,

Thanks Mark
                            Chris Hoeltke
                            serving Winchester Virginia and surrounding areas
                            C&S Lawn Service

Comment

Is it safer to have a cold cup of yesterdays coffee rather than a compressed fire extinguisher that'll be under the hot sun all day?

Comment

how bout having a broom included in the rake rack? I learned the hard way had a client who had lots of dirt u guys can imagine, so we have brooms and landscape brushes to clean off the grass clipings its actually pretty fast and no crazy dust.

BTW never had a fire extinguisher but i will got to the local hardware store or the shop and get 2 and how do u guys fasten them in ur truck?
                                Yup. I carry a small broom and a push broom. I rarely need them, but when I do, I'm glad I have them handy.

I haven't mounted mine yet. Laws may vary, but the trooper who informed us that we need an extinguisher stated that they must be "secured". When asked for clarification of "secured", he said that if it were in a box keeping it from shifting, "not just lying around", that would be sufficient.
                                I think that the rules may be different for larger commercial vehicles, but I'm not certain.

I was thinking that mounting one in the bed of the truck or inside the trailer may be a good idea as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X