No announcement yet.

Help a Brother Out - Quick Tips that Make a Difference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, I always wanted to get one of those portable refrigerator units but figured they wouldn't work worth a damn.

Do they really keep food nice and cool?
    I think we used it once for a long car trip just to keep cans of soda in and it did OK, but I have my doubts about it staying really cold if the car isn't running - like a parked car in the summer heat.

I mostly used it in the office because I hated my drink getting warm if I didn't drink it right away. Rather than going back and forth to the office fridge, I just kept it next to my desk.

The one I have (not the one in the photo) is just a "cheapie", so maybe a better quality one would work better.

Comment

You know, I always wanted to get one of those portable refrigerator units but figured they wouldn't work worth a damn.

Do they really keep food nice and cool?
      I have been using one for the last 10 years; a suggestion is to freeze a bottle of water to help it out throughout the day. But yes they work pretty good except the cords melt at the plug but I replace them and cool still works.

Comment

Unless your phone takes REALLY good, high resolution photos, pick up an inexpensive camera to keep in your truck at all times!

I took a ton of pics last season with my cell phone - I thought I could use some of the before/after pics in my marketing material. Well, 90% of them are not good enough. They just aren't in focus the way they should be and now they are useless to me.

Don't miss out on getting that great pic that could be used to promote your business. Have a decent camera available.

Comment

If you react to poison ivy - be prepared!

I keep a "Poison Ivy Kit" in my truck. A few years ago I had a pretty bad reaction to poison ivy that I had unknowingly come in contact with while pulling weeds by hand. I never, ever want to go trough that again.

I carry the following items:

- A bottle of Ivarest for cleaning after possible contact.

Tecnu is a popular cleaner, but requires more effort/water to rinse. I like the Ivarest because it foams when you pump it and it seems to go a long way. It's also easy to rinse off, which brings me to the next item...

- Bottled water.

For rinsing the medicated cleaner/poison ivy oils off. I just take empty bottles and fill them with tap water and put them in the box for rinsing, or whatever else I may need it for, like washing hands.

- Paper towels/rag.

For drying off after washing.

- Ivy Block

I rarely use it because I hate the way it feels, but it's good to have handy just in case.

You guys that are immune to the stuff are lucky. I have to say that up until that bad case I had, I had never had poison ivy before. If you knew the hell I went through, you'd understand why I keep a box of supplies on hand. If I even think there was a CHANCE I had come in contact, I wash up as soon as I finish the job. I had a mild case on my legs and forearm last year after hitting some with the trimmer, but I think that by washing often, I prevented a serious case of misery.

Comment

I grew fond of the stinging sensation of poison ivy.

As for always keeping a camera handy, I agree. I always friggen forget!

We can even do little competitions, "Take a picture of where you pee on the clients lawn when you really gotta go, best place wins".

Comment

LOL why didn't I think of that Scott
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

What, nobody has ANYTHING they can add?

C'mon. Add something. Anything.

Comment

If you are going to have breakfast, don't have eggs unless you want to rush back home to take care of 'business'. Have a fruit or something.

If you are feeling tired, just chug a bottle of water. It's so easy to get dehydrated without knowing and that might be the cause of your tiredness.

-

One of my clients has a hot daughter, but I'm sure that's also a bad idea.

Comment

TIP #758

Always have a spare pair of boots/shoes and socks in the truck!

This came in handy today. I was out doing a cleanup and mow on a large job that is "all uphill" and I made the mistake of wearing my boots that aren't quite broken in yet. I was OK on the "flatter" section, but as I walked the sloped lawn picking up downed branches, my feetses started screaming at me.
                    I went to the truck and put on a pair of running shoes. AAAaaahhh...

In the summer I always keep at least one extra shirt in the truck as well. Good for days when you're looking all funky, and someone calls and asks you to stop for a quote on your way home.

Comment

How about a first aid kit

and a fire extinguisher?

- Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

^^^ Excellent tips!

I have a very basic first aid kit that I want to expand upon by adding things for the most common lawn boo-boos.

At my dealer's open house they had the state police there giving a seminar on safe trailering - one of the things I learned is that it is mandatory to have a "secured fire extinguisher" and a reflective triangle in your truck.

I already had flares and a triangle under the seat, but I went out and got an auto fire extinguisher. Aside from legalities, it just makes sense to have one handy.

Comment

LOL, are you guys referring to the time I my tractor caught on fire or something?

Good times. HAHAHA!

Never leave home without a full bladder.

Comment

At my dealer's open house they had the state police there giving a seminar on safe trailering - one of the things I learned is that it is mandatory to have a "secured fire extinguisher" and a reflective triangle in your truck.
                            Did they give any other helpful tips at the open house?

Comment

Did they give any other helpful tips at the open house?

I found out that leaving a ball hitch sticking out of your receiver when not towing is in fact, NOT illegal. (I've been told that it is countless times over the years)

No minimum/maximum chain length requirement - they just can't drag.

Comment

I found out that leaving a ball hitch sticking out of your receiver when not towing is in fact, NOT illegal. (I've been told that it is countless times over the years)

No minimum/maximum chain length requirement - they just can't drag.
                                I almost always keep my hitch in. If some one reends me they are going to coime out alot worse then my trailer hitch. This plan has worked a few times haha people not paying attention and hit me.

As for a fire extinguisher I have always kept one in my truck but I had a friend have an accident while he was mowing. The exhaust fell off his ztr and caught the field on fire. Its a good thing he had his and I was only a few min. or we could have had a really big problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X