telling customer your hourly rate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does this factor change things?
    I am not interested in tire kickers, rich or poor. My target is people who excect and respect the job and the equipment on the site. I don't honestly believe the clients I deal with are any different no matter where they live, the clients I work for want a quality job and quality equipment.

It's no different than the woodworking business I own, I am not interested in the client looking for something in Pine, Maple or Oak......I buy the equipment others don't or can't afford, work with woods most can't and make a killing doing it.

Did the same thing in the Security business, we went from the smallest to the 2nd largest in 8 years, it was mainly do to what we had to offer and the backup.

Clients do care, even I do.......anyhow to each their own, I know what is working and am taking full advantage of it.

All the new gear is here and heading out for their first job tomorrow with a great crew, we picked up six more drains this week and it's only Wednesday, when we roll in we quite often turn heads when we roll in no matter lawn care or excavation.
    Andy
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

I agree with you Andy. I have had alot more success when I have befriended the customer as wells as included them in the process.

A far as a itemized estimate, I list the work to be done and put the estimate total at the bottom of the estimate and have no problem explaining this to the potential customer.

This is also where knowing you market is key, what kind of customers do you want and you will know within the first 5 minutes of talking with them if there who you want for a customer.

I had a landlord contact me via email and I checked his apartment building, called him with a price and he paused for a moment, then I explained what it was going to take to get it done and he said lets do it, I will finish the job tomorrow.

I went out the other day to bid on a snow plow job and we were talking and before I gave them any prices for my services they had given me the keys to the house.

All they're looking for is someone who will be upfront and honest with them.
      Brian
      Durgin's Lawn & Landscape LLC

www.durginslawnandlandscape.com

Comment

I agree with you Andy. I have had alot more success when I have befriended the customer as wells as included them in the process.

A far as a itemized estimate, I list the work to be done and put the estimate total at the bottom of the estimate and have no problem explaining this to the potential customer.

This is also where knowing you market is key, what kind of customers do you want and you will know within the first 5 minutes of talking with them if there who you want for a customer.

I had a landlord contact me via email and I checked his apartment building, called him with a price and he paused for a moment, then I explained what it was going to take to get it done and he said lets do it, I will finish the job tomorrow.

I went out the other day to bid on a snow plow job and we were talking and before I gave them any prices for my services they had given me the keys to the house.

All they're looking for is someone who will be upfront and honest with them.
        You see my friend you nailed it, good luck and you will do well, education is power and I can see that you take the time to give it and it will give back many times over.

I mean wouldn't we all appreciate the same no matter what it is we are about to pay for? Why is our business any different?
        Andy
        Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

telling customer your hourly rate.

I agree with educating the customer on the services your providing as well as developing a good relationship with the client. I know this works cause I have had the same clients for years in fact 1 commercial account since 1992.

My experience with some residential customers is that if you flat out tell them your charging them $60.00 per hour for mowing and cleanups etc. you may scare some of them off.

Now if your running a mini excavator or back hoe putting in sewer lines and grading etc. I think you can get away with telling them that you charge $100.00 or $150.00 per hour for that machine. What's the difference?
          The obvious equipment cost and skills involved in doing the job period.

My point is for Lawn and Property Maintenance I don't think some customers place a real high value on the service and may balk at you telling them you'll mow their lawn for $60.00 per hour.

Comment

I agree with educating the customer on the services your providing as well as developing a good relationship with the client. I know this works cause I have had the same clients for years in fact 1 commercial account since 1992.

My experience with some residential customers is that if you flat out tell them your charging them $60.00 per hour for mowing and cleanups etc. you may scare some of them off.

Now if your running a mini excavator or back hoe putting in sewer lines and grading etc. I think you can get away with telling them that you charge $100.00 or $150.00 per hour for that machine. What's the difference?
            The obvious equipment cost and skills involved in doing the job period.

My point is for Lawn and Property Maintenance I don't think some customers place a real high value on the service and may balk at you telling them you'll mow their lawn for $60.00 per hour.
            And I agree with you 100%, lawn mowing, leaf collection, Spraying are three things that come to mind that I would never give an hourly rate, still educate the customer, some are quick, some are painful, in the end it works out.

The posters original question was

"Has anyone in the landscape construction field doing residential"

Landscaping at least for me is by the hour, things happen, clients change their mind etc. we should be very careful giving an exact price in these cases, I guess I could have written my reply better to be more clear.

Have a great one!!!

Andy
            Andy
            Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment

Great thread guys! I learned a lot that I know will be very helpful in my business.

Comment

Bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X