No announcement yet.

Potential to buy accounts and equipment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what I was thinking. I always lose at least a few customers each season which are usually the ones that only call every so often instead of getting on schedule. But I figure there is great potential for profit even losing some customers and still gives me an opportunity to market myself in all the new areas I will be in for potentially growing more! I am trying not to let the big numbers cloud my thinking because I would still want to provide quality service to all the new customers. I am going to negotiate that price for sure because I am interested to know where he came up with that number and how he actually values everything. He did say another company was meeting him on Wednesday to look thru all his paperwork and make an offer so I told him I wanted to meet on Monday or Tuesday!
    2008 F-350, 2006 rzt50 23kH, 2010 tank m48 with 25kH, 16x8 vnose car hauler, echo edgers and weedeaters.

Comment

hmm that's good thinking out loud. That would definitely give me the opportunity to do the work pay the loan and not have total obligation if it did not work out like planned. I am going to talk to him about many options and that is one I will definitely suggest. I thought about maybe a "down payment" on the business because I know he is moving but said he can't move until he gets money from the business. So I somewhat feel I have some control over the sale except that there is another company looking into the sell too
      2008 F-350, 2006 rzt50 23kH, 2010 tank m48 with 25kH, 16x8 vnose car hauler, echo edgers and weedeaters.

Comment

Buying a customer can be a big risk, He could help that alot by talking to his customers and letting them know he is turning over his business to someone else and assure them that they will be taken good care of...That way you could get thier reaction upfront...

Comment

He did say he would let customers know there would be a change in ownership which I was considering keeping the company name since they are pretty established and said all there customers were from word of mouth. My business is mainly on the commercial side and that is where I focus most of my attention right now. So I was thinking just keep that one side as a residential company. I dont know may help on taxes too

Comment

Well, paper work is now being done to transfer ownership to me! I will be making payments over the next 6 months to ensure that customers are not just going to all leave with me out all that money. Made an offer for down payment and the other company backed down! I should start on the 58 new accounts at the beginning of August

Comment

Congratulations to you! Keep us posted on how the transition goes and how it feels to add all those new customers.
              - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!
              Download your Free trial of Gopher Lawn Care Software.

Comment

Well after week 2 of doing all the new customers I met a lot of nice people that were happy to have a good service continue. The old company was doing the properties in 4 days with 2 people and we are knocking it out in 1.5 days with 3! So everything is definitely going right! Long hours and hard work will soon pay off. Equipment was a little bo bo, exmark pump went out.. But I wasnt really counting on the equipment that much.

Comment

That is great news! Now with this experience you have had, what advice would you have for others considering doing this?
                  - Subscribe to my Lawn Care Marketing Blog Feed and get daily tips sent to you. Free!

Comment

So far my experience is going well. Customers are all nice and happy about the change going smoothly and I am happy that we are able to take care of the new properties in about 1.5 days each week instead of the 4 days it was taking the last 2 guys. Equipment we bought with the company is not in the best shape that I thought it was in, 2 weeks later and the hydro pump went out on the exmark 48. Sucks but the equipment was not really what I was interested in. Only problem I am having is one of the previous owners is calling behind me and checking to see if customers are happy. I had to call him and let him know that was not ok because it is not his business anymore.

Comment

A little update on the accounts I purchased. It was quite frustrating after the first month or two because I had people dropping for various reasons. Some were family members, some didnt pay and some just said they did not need service anymore. My biggest problem was not the people dropping because before buying I assumed at least 10% would drop. My problem was more that the people that did stay on did not match up to the amount of cuts the contract said the customers usually do. Like customers that they said continue every other week service throughout the winter have either cut back to once a month or completely dropped until warmer weather. Overall it was worth the purchase just a little headache at first. I paid the company off in 5 months and now its all about making the money now.
                      Fuel has gone up to $1200-1500 a month, that's probably my biggest problem but its part of the business.

Comment

That is a very interesting update!

Would you do it again? If so, what might you do differently about the process or the way you valued it etc?

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but just in case anyone else is in the same position.

The easiest way to evaluate a company is 3x their revenue from previous year. So if they pulled in $20,000 last year, their business should be worth $60,000. This is for all businesses, but I have noticed on CL, that everyone undervalues their lawn care business a lot. They say they make $60k a year revenue but ask $20k to sell. I am thinking that a lot of people value their business as capital investment (equipment), and they don't consider their client list and branding as an asset.

Comment

The easiest way to evaluate a company is 3x their revenue from previous year.
                            What is your view on why it should be 3x revenue?

Comment

Working...
                            X