PDA

View Full Version : Steves Books

FloridaBoy
09-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Hey Steve, if you had to choose a couple of books that you have for sale, or some other educational, or non-educational material for our types of businesses, what would be your recomendation?

Lets say your top 3 ?

Steve
09-24-2009, 09:18 PM
I am a huge fan of business books, I guess my answer would kind of depend on what areas you are trying to learn more about?

caver95
09-25-2009, 07:00 AM
I think a few books everyone should read are
Rich Dad, Poor Dad, Robert Kyosaki
The E-myth Revisited,
Guerrilla Marketing, Levinson??
Black Belt Negotiating, I cant remember
How to Win Friends and Influence People, Dale Carnegie
101 Secrets to Closing the Sale, Zig Ziggler

You can find the all on amazon, for less than the shipping I bet.

FloridaBoy
09-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Not really looking for a specific area of our business. I guess thats what i was looking for from you Steve. What would be the top 3 things that can make a business succesfull, besides just plain hard work. Did you read some books to influence yours?

I am going to pick up a couple of books to read over the winter ( slow season ), and probably take your lawn care business course.

Maybe this is all wierd, just thought i would put it on here, i have been in business for many years, i don't think you can ever learn enough, and there are so many new people starting out in this business that are part of this great forum that may be helped from this info also.

FloridaBoy
09-25-2009, 04:25 PM
I think a few books everyone should read are
Rich Dad, Poor Dad, Robert Kyosaki
The E-myth Revisited,
Guerrilla Marketing, Levinson??
Black Belt Negotiating, I cant remember
How to Win Friends and Influence People, Dale Carnegie
101 Secrets to Closing the Sale, Zig Ziggler

You can find the all on amazon, for less than the shipping I bet.

I have heard of the Rich Dad, Poor Dad, and How to Win Friends books, i will try to look those up, thanks.

Steve
09-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Here is my list of previous books of the month.

http://gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=208

Not really looking for a specific area of our business. I guess thats what i was looking for from you Steve. What would be the top 3 things that can make a business succesfull, besides just plain hard work. Did you read some books to influence yours?

I think each book whether it's mine or others can offer pieces of advise you can take and grow with.

Ideally they give you pieces you can take and insert into your own puzzle.

Maybe this is all wierd, just thought i would put it on here, i have been in business for many years, i don't think you can ever learn enough, and there are so many new people starting out in this business that are part of this great forum that may be helped from this info also.

When you sit there and think about it, what would you like to change about your business? What would you like to improve on? Where would you like to be now compared to where you are?

FloridaBoy
09-25-2009, 09:19 PM
When you sit there and think about it, what would you like to change about your business? What would you like to improve on? Where would you like to be now compared to where you are?

Thers nothing i would change about my business as it is, besides a little larger company. I have a wide range of services that i can offer. What i would like to improve on is my knowledge of the little details, i would like to get licensed for spraying lakefronts, possibly take the courses to be certified to spray turf and ornamentals, i like to be able to offer everything, customers love a one stop company.

It is actually harder than i thought to put my business ideas into words, i have in my head waht i want to do, but explaining it is odd. HAhA

Steve
09-25-2009, 09:39 PM
It is actually harder than i thought to put my business ideas into words, i have in my head waht i want to do, but explaining it is odd. HAhA

That is a very good point. A lot of times we think we want something but what holds us back is the inability to explain it because we might really not know what it is we want or not have thought too much about it.

Sometimes it just comes down to we want to make more money. That may be the case here but there may be more too it. The more we think about it and talk about it, the more the idea starts to congeal and become solid. A solid thought is a lot easier to make happen.

FloridaBoy
09-25-2009, 10:52 PM
That is a very good point. A lot of times we think we want something but what holds us back is the inability to explain it because we might really not know what it is we want or not have thought too much about it.

Sometimes it just comes down to we want to make more money. That may be the case here but there may be more too it. The more we think about it and talk about it, the more the idea starts to congeal and become solid. A solid thought is a lot easier to make happen.

Yes indeed, i think one of my biggest problems is , i know where i want to go, its just a matter of what order, and having to tke it in strides due to money.
I don't want to go get a loan, so what i do is every exta job i get, that money goes to directly funding advancement, so mainly its just time and money for me, unfortunatly i am impatiant, haha.

caver95
09-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Yes indeed, i think one of my biggest problems is , i know where i want to go, its just a matter of what order, and having to tke it in strides due to money.
I don't want to go get a loan, so what i do is every exta job i get, that money goes to directly funding advancement, so mainly its just time and money for me, unfortunatly i am impatiant, haha.

Florida, that is the way to go. Where are you in FL? I do business plans for people, if you dont have one yet, you need one.

Steve
09-26-2009, 07:16 PM
i know where i want to go,

Where would you like to go with it all?

so mainly its just time and money for me, unfortunatly i am impatiant, haha.

I think we all tend to be impatient.

I do wonder at times though what are we in such a rush for? Where is it we want to be or need to be? Will we grow over time if we take it step by step? Do we need to force it? What happens if we don't and we let it take a natural path?

FloridaBoy
09-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Where would you like to go with it all?

I think we all tend to be impatient.

I do wonder at times though what are we in such a rush for? Where is it we want to be or need to be? Will we grow over time if we take it step by step? Do we need to force it? What happens if we don't and we let it take a natural path?

Where i want the business to go actually may not be that big of an issue.
I think we get in a rush to do or achieve things in business or life to satisfy our own ego.
This country as hole, i think, has turned into a they have i want, or they got, so i have to get bigger.

For me, my business growing, is % 50 my own EGO, haha, i don't need the money, i pay my bills, have a decent life , don't lack for anything.
But, if i feel good, life around me, my family, friends, feel good.
We are all products of our environment, hang around good. positive people, what do you think your attitude or life will be like?......Positive!

Natural path, ....i think that is the easy way out, an excuse to not advance, or improve your lifestyle. I have been stuck there before, and used excuses to justify that existence.
Damn, i think i am getting a little out there, to much psychology there.

FloridaBoy
09-27-2009, 12:05 AM
Oh, and back to my original question of the thread.
I went today a purchased Rich Dad, Poor Dad. by Robert Kiyosaki
and Guerilla Marketing by Jay Conrad Levinson.

Looking forward to reading both of these books.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Steve
09-27-2009, 07:15 PM
I went today a purchased Rich Dad, Poor Dad. by Robert Kiyosaki
and Guerilla Marketing by Jay Conrad Levinson.

I liked the Guerrilla Marketing book. It's a great book that makes you think about how to get your marketing message out for cheap. It's a lot alike much of what we do here and talk about.

The Rich Dad, Poor Dad book was not that great, to me at least. It talks about how you should invest in real estate. Well that's great and fine but it seems to tell the average reader with no cash, they should be able to go out there and buy real estate and then make big money off it.

I don't think it's that easy. I think you need cash when you are buying real estate and there are plenty of investment situations where you will still need to pay an additional monthly fee on top of a renters income to cover the mortgage payment.

Let me know when you read it if you find that it was helpful or not.

Natural path, ....i think that is the easy way out, an excuse to not advance, or improve your lifestyle. I have been stuck there before, and used excuses to justify that existence.
Damn, i think i am getting a little out there, to much psychology there.

I think this is fascinating because a lot of people ride the fence. They feel they want to grow, but are unsure why. They just feel like they should but many times we all seem to find a comfortable spot and tend to stay there.

A lot of what allows us to grow our businesses is the ability to create a plan and an infrastructure that makes it easier for others to work with us than work for themselves.

caver95
09-28-2009, 07:59 AM
The Rich Dad, Poor Dad book was not that great, to me at least. It talks about how you should invest in real estate. Well that's great and fine but it seems to tell the average reader with no cash, they should be able to go out there and buy real estate and then make big money off it.

I don't think it's that easy. I think you need cash when you are buying real estate and there are plenty of investment situations where you will still need to pay an additional monthly fee on top of a renters income to cover the mortgage payment.

To me Rich Dad was more about making you change one's way of thinking, his vehicle is real estate. As far as paying in additional you either did not put enough down, or you are paying to much for your property.
I manage some property for a Doctor, they financed the whole bit and are not having very much cash flow, I take most of it in a management fee.
Think depending where you are in the country one can now find some REALLY good deals on property.

Steve
09-28-2009, 01:56 PM
I manage some property for a Doctor, they financed the whole bit and are not having very much cash flow, I take most of it in a management fee.

I guess the theory is, over time the property will appreciate in value and your investment will have grown. I think that is fantastic.

I just hate seeing people who are in bad financial situations get sold on the concept of real estate is going to make them rich. You see these late night infomercials all the time promoting how to buy property with no money down.

Do you feel you have learned much from your client who is the doctor when it comes to investing in real estate? What would you do differently or similarly to that client if you were in a situation that allowed you to invest like that?

caver95
09-29-2009, 07:03 AM
I guess the theory is, over time the property will appreciate in value and your investment will have grown. I think that is fantastic.

I just hate seeing people who are in bad financial situations get sold on the concept of real estate is going to make them rich. You see these late night infomercials all the time promoting how to buy property with no money down.

Do you feel you have learned much from your client who is the doctor when it comes to investing in real estate? What would you do differently or similarly to that client if you were in a situation that allowed you to invest like that?

I feel I have learned a great deal. I would not buy something with no money down, unless I had a Huge cash reserve. I like Section 8, subsidized housing, we always get paid. They do destroy the house carpet and paint, so it is best to have a block house where you can pretty much pressure wash the inside. Get a cell phone that you leave on only for biz hours they will call at 3 in the morning to tell you the toilet is clogged. There many many many heartbreaking stories as to why there late with the copay, and all are lies. If I were to get into nicer properties I would make sure the prospective tenant has great credit, and look at the car the pull up in is it a mess? and I think I would most like college rentals when I can get a parent to cosign. But if you buy a property that brings in 15k a year in rental income but you have 16k going out, I would not do it just to own some real estate, unless there was a land use change coming, but that is a gamble. where you can get it for no money down have a payment that is 10-15% less than the rental income is not good with me because one ac system, roof or major plumbing issue and you have lost any profits. There are tax things you can do, but I would put a hefty down payment, or pay it off. I know one guy who is 32 has 29 single wide mobile homes, has paid 10-20k for the land and each mobile and gets $550 a month and has ALL of them rented. Approximately 435000 invested and 191400 annually in revenue, That is a great investment no matter how you look at it, but some of the people are less than desirable. That is my goal. to have a real estate company that handles property management, residential sales, commercial, and handles all of the maintenance for the properties in every aspect.

Steve
09-29-2009, 03:04 PM
That is my goal. to have a real estate company that handles property management, residential sales, commercial, and handles all of the maintenance for the properties in every aspect.
Would this be some kind of franchise real estate office? Or how would you like to do it?

caver95
09-30-2009, 05:34 AM
I would like to start a franchise, not be part of one.

Steve
09-30-2009, 03:28 PM
That is great! Keep experimenting and keep exploring and a lot more will come your way!