PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Pottstown, PA

luckylawns187
09-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Hello everyone.

My name is Mike. I just decided to star a lawn care business next spring. I have found this website to be a huge help. I am planning on trying to get customers next year right around St. Patrick's Day (holiest day of the year). The name of my company is "Lucky Lawns". Hope to speak to you all soon.

Mike

Steve
09-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Hi Mike,

Welcome to our forum!

What's stopping you from getting started today and get some fall cleanups to make it easier to get customers for next year?

luckylawns187
09-25-2009, 09:05 AM
I am going to try to get some customers with gutter cleaning. I am just not sure when to market this service or even how to market this service. Like I said above, I am from Pennsylvania and the leaves haven't started falling to the point where they are clogging the gutters.

Steve
09-25-2009, 02:07 PM
I am going to try to get some customers with gutter cleaning. I am just not sure when to market this service or even how to market this service.

You could start marketing on craigslist. Then you could put an ad in the paper in the business services section to promote your gutter cleaning.

Or you could put up some flyers at local stores or go door to door.

What's your view on all that?

arthur712
09-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Welcome to the forum Mike! I think that will be a great name for you business!

luckylawns187
09-25-2009, 03:13 PM
You could start marketing on craigslist. Then you could put an ad in the paper in the business services section to promote your gutter cleaning.

Or you could put up some flyers at local stores or go door to door.

What's your view on all that?

I think I am going to try to put ads up at the super market and on Craigslist. I am not sure if I want to do houses bigger than 2 stories. Actually, I can't I don't have a ladder that big. I am also considering going door to door and offering the service. Again, just not sure when.

Steve
09-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Well I think there is never any better time than the present.

You could start handing out marketing material now for your fall clean ups and then maybe do more promotion as the leaves really start coming down. If you wait too long you might miss it all for the season.

Will you be offering any winter services too?

luckylawns187
09-25-2009, 10:03 PM
I guess I'll go door to door next weekend and hand out flyers. I am not going to be offering any winter services. I used to plow residentially and hated every second of it. Again I can't say enough how helpfull this site has been to be. In the words of Preston and Steve from Wmmr "you guys rock".

FloridaBoy
09-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Welcome to the forum. It has the finest group of people you can find in the business.

Contact Artie (Arthur712) get you some business card holders for your vehicle now, get work for later.

And if you do find a house thats higher than 2 stories, see what it costs to rent a lift, add that to your bid and see if the customer excepts, try not to limit yourself. I think that is one reason why some companies don't make it.

Good luck in your business venture.

arthur712
09-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Welcome to the forum. It has the finest group of people you can find in the business.

Contact Artie (Arthur712) get you some business card holders for your vehicle now, get work for later.

Good luck in your business venture.

Thanks, FloridaBoy!!

FloridaBoy
09-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks, FloridaBoy!!

No problem Artie. Kissing some butt for some card holders, haha.:D

Steve
09-26-2009, 02:57 PM
I guess I'll go door to door next weekend and hand out flyers. I am not going to be offering any winter services. I used to plow residentially and hated every second of it.

Keep us posted on how the door to door marketing goes.

What did you hate about doing the residential plowing?

luckylawns187
09-26-2009, 03:10 PM
I just didn't think I made enough money for the amount of time and wear and tare I put on the truck. Plus the insurance was expensive. I made money, just not enough to continue doing it, in my humble oppinion.

Steve
09-26-2009, 06:10 PM
This is a very interesting topic. I bet a lot of newer business owners are considering offering snow plowing.

When you reflect on the snow plowing you did, what do you feel you would have to charge to make it all worth it?

luckylawns187
09-28-2009, 09:36 AM
I think I would have had to charge probably 85-95 a driveway to make me want to do it again. I just hated everything about it. Not to toot my own horn, but I was very good at plowing, just didn't enjoy it. I was also getting about 35-40 a drriveway with about 40 customers.

Steve
09-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Where do you think most newer snow plowing companies go wrong when they start up and they perform their services?

What pitfalls should they try and avoid? Especially when it comes to pricing jobs?