PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

doboy90
09-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Im just trying to get started with my lawn care business. I would like some info or advice. I just recently moved to SC and am interested in starting my own lawn care business. I have applied to the secretary of state for holding a name for 120 days as a llc. I contacted my insurance company and they said they dont cover general liability insurance. Who do I call for insurance? Do I have to pay quarterly taxes if I make no money? Thats why I held the name for the llc as opposed to just getting it. I thought if I could get some cards and flyers now and try to advertise I would be a step ahead for the spring. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jasonw
09-24-2009, 12:21 PM
I worked for 6 months before applying for and getting my license. The taxes you pay are for income so if you have no income then you pay no taxes. Keep track of your expenses though so you can claim them as a loss as well, this way at the end of the year you may get money back. As for insurance I have no clue. I take a huge risk and don't have any. I called on it but the price was way more than I even make in a month so there was no way that would fly. If you do call around for quotes don't give out your address or phone number. They don't need this info to give you a quote and if you give it to them they will call you at all hours of the day and fill your mail box with crap.

Steve
09-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Here is a link to a discussion on lawn care business insurance (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=8583).

I thought if I could get some cards and flyers now and try to advertise I would be a step ahead for the spring. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

That would be fantastic! Could you promote some fall or winter services? Maybe fall yard cleanups?

wesjackson
10-25-2009, 11:16 AM
You should price insurance out. I have worked for companies and had to price out insurance once a year. You wouldn't believe the difference. I am talking about a 5 figure difference for a 5 figure policy. It's crazy. Different insurance companies give different rates, and different agents take different commissions. You should call a few companies before settling with one. You should also call business insurance companies with a specialty in the services industry. They will have the best connection with the insurance companies so will likely get it the cheapest.