PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Tallahassee FL

caver95
09-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Hello All, I am looking at starting a side biz and a google search brought me here.
Nick

Steve
09-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Hi Nick,

Welcome to our forum!

What got you to decide on lawn care versus other kinds of side businesses?

fldodger
09-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Welcome, I am from South Florida

caver95
09-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Hey Steve, well the low start up cost for the most part, I know if I get more than 15 accounts I will start to purchase more equipment, and I am limited at the moment as to the jobs I can take, as I only have a push mower, and non commercial grade equipment at the moment. but I figure over the winter people will need money, and I can pick up some stuff on the cheap, I am handy at fixing small engines as well. I have been looking for a business that I can work for myself and grass always grows.

Steve
09-23-2009, 12:36 PM
That sounds great! What kinds of things have you been doing to promote your business?

arthur712
09-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Welcome to the forum Nick!

caver95
09-24-2009, 07:06 AM
So far just social media sites. I put up a few flyers up in highprofile places and I am making a door hanger that I will go walk a few neighborhoods.

Steve
09-24-2009, 01:09 PM
How did all those marketing experiments work so far?

caver95
09-25-2009, 05:39 AM
Social Media is a powerful tool, or it can be a HUGE time waster. I have generated a little bit of biz. But take twitter, and you would need a phone that you can take pictures with. Take a before and after picture upload it to twitter and say Steve's team is working hard for so and so. I will tweet out dive sites when I am teaching cave diving, and people love it, I dont know how they will respond to lawn care but it cant hurt to try. You can link twitter to facebook too. But it might be enough to have someone call you for an estimate.

Steve
09-25-2009, 02:12 PM
I will tweet out dive sites when I am teaching cave diving, and people love it, I dont know how they will respond to lawn care but it cant hurt to try.

Cave diving? That is so very unique! I would think you could do a lot to mix the two of these together and stand out!

Can you tell us a little about what you do with your teaching? Do you have any pictures of these activities? I'd love to see more and hear more about this!

caver95
09-26-2009, 07:31 AM
www.cavetek.com

I have been teaching activily for the past 6 years and I am getting burnt out of it. I turned my hobby into a job. I am wanting get out of it. It is a good money maker, and enjoyable to teach when the students are cool, but I dont have time to explore cave and do the kinds of diving I like to do. main reason I went back to school. I was making about 50k working for my self year, but it was when everyone else has off. I will stay current so if I want to teach I can but I want to find something else to do so i can look forward to diving again.

Steve
09-26-2009, 02:34 PM
That is so very cool!

Do you feel you learned a lot about being an entrepreneur and running a business from that experience? Did you do a lot of marketing?

Can much of the skills you learned with that business apply to your new one?