PDA

View Full Version : Od tax request from client?

jasonw
09-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Yesterday one of my normal clients came to me with an od request. They have a living trust which there daughter is responsible for. She writes all the checks and pays there bills and makes sure I get payed. She apparently told her parents that she needed my SSN DOB and all that stuff for a 10-99 form for taxes. I told them I need to look into it first as I have never had a request like that. I turn my income and expenses in at the end of the year and that's it. Has anyone ever hear of this?

jasonw
09-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Ok well with a simple Google search I just answered my own question. Yes it is true. I don't not need to give my SSN though, this was what I was worried about. Instead I can give my EID.

Steve
09-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Did you incorporate? A lot of times the E.I.D. is the same as the business owners S.S.#

jasonw
09-23-2009, 03:35 PM
I did not incorporate. I got the EID because its required where I live for a bank account. It also serves as my tax ID number. There is no need to give out my SSN in this case because that's what my EID is. If my SSN is required in this day if identity theft I think I will drop the client because I cant see any good reason for them to have it.

Steve
09-23-2009, 04:08 PM
This is fascinating because I guess different areas have different requirements. I think you can always get an EIN even if you are a sole proprietor but when you incorporate your business becomes it's own legal entity, requiring it to have an EIN.

In this case it sounds like a smart move to have an EIN for such a situation.

So when you gave her you EIN that worked out and everything is fine now? Did you still need to give her your DOB?

jasonw
09-23-2009, 04:58 PM
I have yet to give anything. I told them I would look into it as I have never been asked for it before and if I indeed have to give such info I would have no problem doing so. I am required to have an EID in California because I employ someone. Anyone who employs someone is required to have an Employer I.D. or at least that's how I understood it.

Steve
09-23-2009, 10:33 PM
I am required to have an EID in California because I employ someone. Anyone who employs someone is required to have an Employer I.D. or at least that's how I understood it.

Ah ok I got it!