PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Australia

Graeme-in-oz
09-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Hi all, I've been lurking here for a while and thought I'd better introduce myself. I currently am off work having just had an opperation to repair a tendon in my shoulder, my doctor and surgeon are of the opinion that I may not be able to go back to my old job as a tree surgeon. I am looking to start up as a lawncare, general gardening, leaf removal, rubbish removal, light tree care type of business in 6 to 12 months if the shoulder comes back together ok. So here I am lurking and reading everything I can picking up some ideas. Thanks for providing a great forum.

Regards
Graeme

Steve
09-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Hi Graeme,

Welcome to our forum!

What kinds of skills do you feel you learned from previously being a tree surgeon?

How did you market or sell that service? Could you still offer those services and have an employee perform them?

Graeme-in-oz
09-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi Steve, thanks for the welcome. When I was injured I was actually an employee with local government tree surgery department, so I have learned a lot about trees, and have just about finished a years study at the local hoticultural college. Now is the right time of the year to start a business as it is spring in the Southern Hemisphere, but with one arm I can't get much done. I will plan to make a start next winter and ease myself in during the quiet months, I am only interested in quality work, the lowballers can have the "cheap" customers and their work. I figure that horticultural qualifications will give me an edge over the lowballers in attracting quality clients. I live in a village on the outskirts of Canberra which as you may know is Australias capital city, there is a lot of embassies, they all have large grounds that are well maintained and their staff mostly live in prestige properties in the city, there is a lot of work here, I just need to get my small share of it. Canberra is a city of cash rich, but time poor people. I am in research mode at present, at this stage I feel that this is what I want to do but what the future holds, who knows?

Best Regards
Graeme

lawncrafter56
09-22-2009, 07:55 PM
good to have you jump into the best lawn care forum on the planet. welcome Graeme!

Steve
09-23-2009, 12:25 PM
I would think if you played up all your tree experience, it would be a great way to attract customers for lawn care too.

I am in research mode at present, at this stage I feel that this is what I want to do but what the future holds, who knows?

What kinds of things have been standing out from your research?

arthur712
09-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Welcome to the forum Graeme!

I get tons of business from Australia!

Thanx!