PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Columbus, OH!

dicksonlandscape
09-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Hey Gopher followers,

Glad to be aboard!

As an experienced small-residential-sole-proprietorship-landscape owner of eight years(on the side through schooling), I'm excited to pursue the more extensive aspect of commercial landscaping and snow removal upon receiving my 4-year-degree in financial planning, phew what a waste that was!

I'm looking forward to making a transition into the commercial world in complete landscape maintenance and snow removal, and appreciate any interaction, recommendations, tips, and advice I can get in the near future!

I've been pushing snow for a local company for a few years getting my feet wet, however, I finally got my own digs and can't wait to pursue my own clientele for some winter income for myself!

First question I have for some seasoned veterans is how much different should I approach commercial property managers vs. homeowners?? I've always taken the relaxed, get-to-know-you, personable approach to homeowners because after all, who hires someone they can't trust/like to interact with?! May be a stupid question, but as a small company is it an advantage that they will be dealing with me(the owner) vs. some assistant manager/sales rep for a larger company?

Sorry for the long post but can't wait to hear what ya'll have to say!

-Matt Dickson
Dickson Landscape

Steve
09-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi Matt,

Welcome to our forum.

When you were working for the other snow plowing company, how did they interact with the customers? Did you see much of that or did they talk much about how they landed their accounts?

Do you know what kind of marketing they did?

lawncrafter56
09-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Hi Matt! welcome any time

prestigescapes
09-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Matt,
Any classes that you take concerning finances and human resource management will prove to be very affective if applied to your business. I am 2 classes away from finishing my bachelors in Business Administration with a major in Human resources. I am anxious to have the time to apply what I have learned to my business. I too felt like my schooling was a waste but realized that i need to apply what i've learned and make it work for me. Im sure in financial planning forecasting was something you had to do, take your knowledge and put it into a business plan, and refer to that business plan frequently to stay on track with where you want to be as a company.

Dave

Steve
09-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Im sure in financial planning forecasting was something you had to do, take your knowledge and put it into a business plan, and refer to that business plan frequently to stay on track with where you want to be as a company.

What kind of things do you feel most small business owners lack when it comes to financial planning?

arthur712
09-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Welcome to the forum Matt!