PDA

View Full Version : What hasn't worked?

Steve
09-20-2009, 09:20 PM
What kinds of business experiments have you tried that just didn't work but you felt you learned from them?

fitoslandscaping.com
09-20-2009, 11:08 PM
We've gained business in pretty every marketing avenue we have taken, except for 2. The first being our church bulletin. We did not get a single call from being in it and it was pretty pricey. The second is a recent parade that we did. We also haven't received any calls but I don't regret the parade since I think it was good exposure.

CHEESE2009
09-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Befriending the customer is bad!

I get stuck on the phone talking about LIFE instead of the money they owe me, eventually they start using me and saying things like they have already paid one of my workers money so they don't owe me anything, when I'm the only friggen worker!

I'm almost happy I lost several customers due to grass barely growing, it makes my life less stressful, but for a price!

I hate speaking with customers, hate hate hate!

Sometimes you give obvious hints that you need to GO, but they ignore them.

1. I left my phone in the truck, I'm expecting a call (doesn't work)

2. I have to get to a property in 5 minutes (doesn't work)

3. I have a lot to do today, I really have to finish (doesn't work)

This one customer is really slow or something.

Once you get friendly, you are LOSING.

Be blunt & aggressive ALWAYS.

Next year I'm putting on my game face, no more smiling!

I have customers calling me just to chat!

picframer
09-21-2009, 06:09 AM
What kinds of business experiments have you tried that just didn't work but you felt you learned from them?

Post Card mail drops even though they were to a very specific area, 7,500 cards not one call.

Hiring a marketing company to design our post cards, total waste of money, I have since designed 7 for target services, I didn't realize how easy it was and it only cost me my time, maybe an hour each.

Printing, I found a site on the web that is a fraction of what I paid the first time and the quality every bit as good or better, I use Vistaprint

Focus on mowing only - this was the plan when I started gettings ready in January, it would have been a desaster if I didn't realize in April I would starve, although I had already bought the gear, I quickly researched other jobs we could do, bought gear the small guys didn't have and never looked back.

Deck construction - mainly it's the same as mowing, seems every guy with a hammer and a trunk offers to build decks.

To be honest that's about it, I went to a method I used for years in woodworking, asking clients for ideas, take that idea and ask clients if they would be interested, if so advertise the service and then buy the equipment, worked perfect for me.

justin_time
09-21-2009, 08:54 AM
My placemat ad hasn't bring in one call since they are out, maybe because their hidding behind the napkin when you sit down

Also my phone tear off tabs ads have a lot of tear offs gone off but I haven't got any calls of them. Maybe people lose that piece of paper/number ?

Warner Landscape & Patio
11-17-2009, 06:31 PM

there is no such thing as bad ads, only dumb ads.

flyers... efective for lawns mostly but very tacky i run a 9% return on this

newspaper... great for patio/paver work return unknown

internet.... great for everything, cannot go wrong. my site runs an average of 700-900 uniquie hits a month return unknown

postcards..... poor at best 1% return

sign on your truck, state licence, insurance, pay taxes, commercial tags, a store front for customers too see, priceless........ they walk through the door

picframer
11-17-2009, 09:51 PM
sign on your truck, state licence, insurance, pay taxes, commercial tags, a store front for customers too see, priceless........ they walk through the door
Your experience is basically mine, the last comment however hits home, I am shocked at how many calls we get from vehicles following us, parked in a lot and at the customers, it's in my business the #1 marketing tool so I went full out.

Yard Elements
11-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Befriending the customer is bad!

I get stuck on the phone talking about LIFE instead of the money they owe me, eventually they start using me and saying things like they have already paid one of my workers money so they don't owe me anything, when I'm the only friggen worker!

I'm almost happy I lost several customers due to grass barely growing, it makes my life less stressful, but for a price!

I hate speaking with customers, hate hate hate!

Sometimes you give obvious hints that you need to GO, but they ignore them.

1. I left my phone in the truck, I'm expecting a call (doesn't work)

2. I have to get to a property in 5 minutes (doesn't work)

3. I have a lot to do today, I really have to finish (doesn't work)

This one customer is really slow or something.

Once you get friendly, you are LOSING.

Be blunt & aggressive ALWAYS.

Next year I'm putting on my game face, no more smiling!

I have customers calling me just to chat!

Most of what you are saying goes against everything I do.

I always try to smile and be friendly if your cutomers are calling you just to chat that's a little weird. But OK if they pay. Becasue of my attitude and professionalism I am still making just as much as I do in summer and have picked up some high end homes. The kind that take three hours just to blow the grounds.

Just thought that I would give this a touch because word of mouth is by far the best type of advertisement. I feel if your customers want to chat chat with em. Don't be there "Friends" just friendly they will tell there "friends"

But every one is different

picframer
11-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Most of what you are saying goes against everything I do.

I always try to smile and be friendly if your cutomers are calling you just to chat that's a little weird. But OK if they pay. Becasue of my attitude and professionalism I am still making just as much as I do in summer and have picked up some high end homes. The kind that take three hours just to blow the grounds.

Just thought that I would give this a touch because word of mouth is by far the best type of advertisement. I feel if your customers want to chat chat with em. Don't be there "Friends" just friendly they will tell there "friends"

But every one is different

And I agree 110%, if you cant befriend your customer...well you might want to rethink your goals, they sign your paycheck bud, don't forget that.

turfmaster
11-18-2009, 10:15 AM
And I agree 110%, if you cant befriend your customer...well you might want to rethink your goals, they sign your paycheck bud, don't forget that.

I agree as well. A lot of success in any business (especially service businesses)
are a result of your salesmanship and relationship with the client.