PDA

View Full Version : Is texting while driving safe?

SuperiorPower
09-19-2009, 12:40 AM
Is texting while driving safe?

Think about it. And don't reply until you have watched this video (http://ut.zerofatalities.com/texting.php).

Now, if you have watched the video, you have earned the right to comment...

And please, please, please, don't text and drive. I believe we have all been guilty of doing so, at least I know that I have been. Together we can make a difference.

-Eli

CHEESE2009
09-19-2009, 01:18 AM
I'm drunk as friggen hell.

had a friend reunion, took a cab home.

(I edit what I type to the best I can)

Texting while driving, silly.

Not worth the ... (i'm thinking of that word there.. hmm)

I'll write what I'm thinking tomorrow when I'm just hung over.

But driving is exactly a privilege & takes 100% concentration.

I have hung up on customers many times & just said, "i'll call you back, im driving"

they understood... if they didin'dnt they suck arse juice

I hate friend reunions, non stop drinking, thank god i only have hedges this weekend.

justin_time
09-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Cell phone use will be banned here in Ontario, Canada next month.

Here is what is banned

cellphones, even at a stop light
dialing
BlackBerrys
texting
hand-held GPS

SuperiorPower
09-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Missouri passed a useless texting law this year....

Basically, it says that any one under 21 is not allowed to text while driving. Now, first of all, how would anyone know how old the driver is until they are stopped and identified? and even if you know how old they are, how are you going to prove that they are texting and not looking for a phone # in their phone? At this time looking up a phone # in your phone, or making or receiving a phone call, is not illegal while driving. So basically, if you are under 21 you are not allowed to send or read texts, send or receive email, etc..... Now prove any of those things...

If they are involved in an accident, what good is it going to do to prove that? There are much bigger charges that will be appropriate here....

So maybe one of these days they will undo their cranial rectal inversion and pass some good texting and phone use laws.... Inattentive driving is dangerous..

Steve
09-19-2009, 01:09 PM
You know a while back when they were passing the laws about talking on cell phones and driving, I was wondering how come there was never a ban on using cb radios while driving? Isn't it similar or do you all feel differently about that?

CHEESE2009
09-20-2009, 08:46 AM
I wonder if eating cheese burgers will be banned while driving.

That would be a sad day.

This just in, a crazy collision occurred. A man was eating Mc Donalds & realized they forgot to put the ketchup in the burger, causing the man to loose control of the wheel.

I duno...

Steve
09-20-2009, 01:26 PM
http://www.smugbaldy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/eating_driving.jpg

SuperiorPower
09-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Breeze that is a very interesting thought. I think we may get to the point where we are restricting everything to the point of keeping citizens from exercising their right of free thought and free life. Are we going to prevent people from exercising their freedoms? Freedoms to make their own decisions, good or bad? And on that note, we must understand that when we make bad decisions, we not only affect our own lives, we also affect many other peoples lives, just as we saw in that video. If you have not watched that video yet, WATCH IT....

With that being said, if you watched that video, they said the average driver drives impaired equal to being TWICE the legal limit of alcohol intoxication. This is about driving distracted or not.

This is a matter of life or death. I fear a government that will restrict everything we do. Perhaps we need to police our selves so the government does not feel the need to make rules for everything we do.

Any thoughts on that?:confused: Anyone? Steve (swstout)???

Steve
09-21-2009, 12:29 PM
When you think about it, you can so easily get distracted when you drive. Looking at something, day dreaming, all the other things that go on too. It's pretty crazy how things are and amazing we don't have more accidents.

Maybe in time technology will help us resolve this by using radar and computers to bring us to where we need to get so we don't have to drive.

justin_time
09-21-2009, 10:34 PM
The topic came up on The Doctors show today....

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/procedure_list/530

jasonw
09-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Breeze that is a very interesting thought. I think we may get to the point where we are restricting everything to the point of keeping citizens from exercising their right of free thought and free life. Are we going to prevent people from exercising their freedoms? Freedoms to make their own decisions, good or bad? And on that note, we must understand that when we make bad decisions, we not only affect our own lives, we also affect many other peoples lives, just as we saw in that video. If you have not watched that video yet, WATCH IT....

With that being said, if you watched that video, they said the average driver drives impaired equal to being TWICE the legal limit of alcohol intoxication. This is about driving distracted or not.

This is a matter of life or death. I fear a government that will restrict everything we do. Perhaps we need to police our selves so the government does not feel the need to make rules for everything we do.

Any thoughts on that?:confused: Anyone? Steve (swstout)???

If we policed ourselves stuff like this would not happen to require government intervention. I was in the fire service, I turned in my badge 8 years ago. Every single tragic accident and even close call I saw was do to drivers not paying attention to the road. Nearly everyone with a cell phone is guilty of looking at it while driving, I know I am "Thank god for the road reflectors that tell us when we cross over". This is not some government conspiracy to take away our rights. We have no right to kill others, this is simply a fact that if we cant be responsible enough to opporate a motor vehicle in a safe manor than laws will be put in place so that we pay for our mistakes. It is very unfortunate the kid in the video is behind bars, clearly there is remorse for what happened but imagine the children that will never see there fathers again. Its a tough one to swallow, Especially for those of us that have small children of our own.