PDA

View Full Version : Trailers

picframer
09-15-2009, 03:38 PM
I have three landscape trailers that all cause me the same problems, same manufacturer, different sizes, when loading or unloading the garden tractors the deck will catch, I have tried just about everything, I tried extending the ramps, a 2 X 10 if positioned properly workd but it's a pain, I adjusted the deck guage wheels to the max which is also time consuming, I built a slider for the sides of the decks which worked but it catches on some lawns....surely they make trailers that we can simply drive on and off or has anyone come up with a simple solution?

CheapNEasy
09-15-2009, 04:43 PM
I had a similar problem with one of my trailers...

To avoid buying a new one with lower axle and lower loading angle.

I welded a skid plate across the back of the trailer.... a short length of angle iron ( "L" shaped, or if you want some diamond plate material) works rather well to stop this.

I am assuming you are talking about a *Grate* bottom trailer and it is cathing on the grating.

Hope this helps at all....

I have since purchased 2 dump/pivot trailers for my maintenace trailers...

Each holds a 50inch ZT Mower, a self propelled mower *One with a 30inch reel mower*, weedeater, edger, pole hedge trimmer and blower.

Works well for maintaining lawns...

I use the other ramp trailer for cleanups now.

picframer
09-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Thank you and this is an idea that crossed my mind, does this effect the traction at that angle as what you are suggesting will work.

My concern is we are about to head into leaf collection season, three of my tractors will have either sweepers or the commercial Dr. Vac units, I need something so that we can simply drive on and off without friggin around or any danger to the operator.

The X729 is a four wheen drive tractor so it would be fine with the skid plate, the X500 has a diff lock so it might be ok, the x300 would worry me, we have almost upset it backing sprayers off a few times.

I have a cargo trailer and it is excellent however I can't fit the vac units in as they are not high enough.

Deere sells these trailers and I guess it's a fairly common complaint.

This diamond plating stuff, I have seen it on trailers but it looks slippery, appreciate your feedback.

Andy

picframer
09-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Things that are not working as they should bug me so I played around with this tonight, here is the issues and images

In Image 1 you will see the gauge wheels are no longer touching however the deck is tight against the underside of the tractor (no more lift) so skids on the side did not work as I am afraid it will damage the deck or underside of the tractor.

In Image 2 you will see it's the blades that are catching, I thought of maybe a simple skid plate but I am concerned the wheels would just spin when they get to it

Image 3 - this works perfect except I don't think it's safe, basically if the ramp was 8" higher at the end it works, this would mean a ramp that was 48" longer to get this same angle

turfmaster
09-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Things that are not working as they should bug me so I played around with this tonight, here is the issues and images

In Image 1 you will see the gauge wheels are no longer touching however the deck is tight against the underside of the tractor (no more lift) so skids on the side did not work as I am afraid it will damage the deck or underside of the tractor.

In Image 2 you will see it's the blades that are catching, I thought of maybe a simple skid plate but I am concerned the wheels would just spin when they get to it

Image 3 - this works perfect except I don't think it's safe, basically if the ramp was 8" higher at the end it works, this would mean a ramp that was 48" longer to get this same angle

Andy I have the same problem with my open trailer .
I ended up building a 30 deg ramp out of wood that I put under the ramp.
It raises the end up 6 inches. That is enough height for my stander mowers and my John Deere tractor to clear the grate on the ramp. I hate hauling the thing around though.
I'm thinking of fabricating a hinged extension of my ramp that will fold down and swing out.

I wish I could post some pictures for you but my daughter has my camera at college right now.

picframer
09-15-2009, 09:23 PM
That would seem to be the best route, Deere offered a gate that is sprung in the middle for free, I think I will try and make something, just wanted something simple and quick to get on and off.

justin_time
09-15-2009, 09:48 PM
My trailer seems to be pretty low but it's probably because of the weight in the back of the trailer. I usually don't hit it with my ZTR from the back but when I load my tractor on the side, i usually hit there.

CheapNEasy
09-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Ok, similar problem as I had, but not the same...

I like what you did in Picture 3...

You could fabricate a pivot *gate* like the one you have, weld in some *Heavy Gauge* Bars to pivot it from the underside (if the gate were down) up and that would create enough stress to keep it strudy when loading.

Basically similar to how the gate folds down off the trailer, but as you lowered the gate down, you would pivot the extention out then finally lower the full gate...

Make any sense?

Hope I have helped at all...

mark123
09-16-2009, 12:32 AM
This is a common design flaw with trailers. The back gate needs to be curved not flat. I've never bottomed out on a curved ramp.

picframer
09-16-2009, 05:57 AM
Thx bud and it makes sense, I will have to make it removable as I use these trailers for the excavators and larger tractors which are desperate heavy, it's a drag that we spend so much money on a landscape trailer and have these issues but such is life

CheapNEasy
09-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Actually the route I am speaking of going, it would actually increase the strength of the gate for heavy loading when the extenstions are not in use...

As you would have (2 ramps per side, and they would be doubled up when not in use.

It would basically fold up *Sorry for the extremely crude diagram....* like so when not in use, but tighter.... _/\ *| Being the trailer */ being the ramp you already have *\ being the added ramp

You would double or less the length of your load gate with the additional gate for light weight low clearance loading.... and when you have the addition not in use it would double up and increase the gate load strength, but you will also gain about an inch or two height of the gate depending on how you made it.

Sorry if I am seeming to ramble, but I keep thinking I am not putting my idea into the right words...

Almost makes me want to make a quick rig display and put on my trailer to demonstrate :)

Steve
09-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Almost makes me want to make a quick rig display and put on my trailer to demonstrate

Or could you draw it? and attach it?

picframer
09-17-2009, 05:30 AM
I was into Deere yesterday and they gave me a defective ramp, it;s the kind that goes all the way across the trailer and folds in half, in this case it's a poor design by the manufacturer IMHO, anhow what I have is two pieces that are 6 feet wide by 2 feet.

I will post pics over the weekend, what I am going to do is weld foldable legs that will lift the current ramps 8" at the end, then use one of these two foot sections, I think it will work excellent.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Steve
09-17-2009, 11:59 AM
I am looking forwards to seeing what you are going to do! Are you gonna take some before, during and after pics?

picframer
09-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Here is the fix.

John deere had a foldable ramp from a trailer that buckled where it hinged, I removed the hinge and used half the ramp, 2 feet by 6 feet. Next I went to a boat supply store and bought two solid indian rubber rollars as they will take 4,000 pounds each, they were the perfect length at 8.5", I bolted them to the ramp extension and left 3/4" of the bolt sticking up which locks it to the main ramps on the trailer.

Used it a few times yesterday and it cured the problem, total cost $26.00, this additional ramp is super light.

mark123
09-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Does it fold up with the main ramp?

Steve
09-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Next I went to a boat supply store and bought two solid indian rubber rollars as they will take 4,000 pounds each, they were the perfect length at 8.5", I bolted them to the ramp extension and left 3/4" of the bolt sticking up which locks it to the main ramps on the trailer.

What is the benefit of the rubber rollers versus welding a piece of metal there?

picframer
09-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Does it fold up with the main ramp?

No, that trailer has two ramps, it's mainly for the bigger tractors and excavators so they are desperate heavy, If I were to weld the extention, I would never be able to lift them.

picframer
09-20-2009, 08:01 PM
What is the benefit of the rubber rollers versus welding a piece of metal there?

Rubber grips the pavement and I could remove these if I needed to, steel is there to stay......to be honest though it was a super quick and super cheap way to do this.

mark123
09-20-2009, 08:09 PM
No, that trailer has two ramps, it's mainly for the bigger tractors and excavators so they are desperate heavy, If I were to weld the extention, I would never be able to lift them.
Oh, I see. It's not for every day use. Just when you need the big equipment moved, right?

That would get real old, real fast having to put that under there at every stop.

picframer
09-21-2009, 06:17 AM
Oh, I see. It's not for every day use. Just when you need the big equipment moved, right?

That would get real old, real fast having to put that under there at every stop.

It's for one service but you are right about getting old.

In order to haul the garden tractor with the leaf vacuum attached and to take a sweeper, I need 15 feet of trailer, min 6' wide. I have two 16 foot trailers that are 8 feet wide that is used for equipment, they are not designed for garden tractors, ZTR's etc with decks and the decks don't clear. The other issue is these trailers are heave, they go around 2,000 pounds, desperate amount of weight for nothing.

So I started looking for something different, I have a 16' Cargo which would work but I want people to see this equipment, seeing equipment has brought a ton of businesss this year from parking lots where we may be getting lunch, coffee, banking etc. Anyhow I can't find what I am looking for locally and don't have four weeks to have one built so we will do that next year.

It's basically a make it work for this season.