PDA

View Full Version : Storing a open trailer outside?

FL lawns
09-15-2009, 10:56 AM
First off, thanks for all the good information provided on this forum. I have already recommended a few established landscapers i know to this forum, so thanks.

I would like to know is it possible to store an open utility trailer outside? If so, do you cover the equipment with a tarp? And how do you take care of securing the equipment down?

If its not possible, what should i be looking to spend for a used 6X10 enclosed trailer in fair condition?

Thanks again for all the good information.

jasonw
09-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Mine stays outside. Mostly all I ever haul on is is the lawn tractor and that gets loaded and unloaded every time its used as it gets stored out of the weather in the workshop.

Steve
09-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Where will you park your trailer? Do you have space for a canopy to park it under? Can you lock it behind a fence?

jasonw
09-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Way back when I was worried about dishonest people I use to put my trailer in the garage then lift it sideways agents the wall and strap it to the rafters to hold it up. I got the oddest looks from visitors as it appeared the trailer was driving down the wall lol. Now I just don't care. I have yet to have an issue and my trailer sits in front of my camp trailer in the driveway so I can just hook and book. As said before though I only use the trailer for one thing so it only moves maybe 2 times per month at this point. I hope some day to be big enough to make the trailer a permanent part of the truck lol.

FL lawns
09-15-2009, 03:40 PM
I know of a storage yard mostly used for boats. It has gated entry and only costs $40 a month. I would like to keep my equipment on the trailer and keep the trailer in the storage yard, but the more i think about the open trailer it just makes sense to save for a fully enclosed one.

jasonw
09-15-2009, 03:43 PM
I know of a storage yard mostly used for boats. It has gated entry and only costs $40 a month. I would like to keep my equipment on the trailer and keep the trailer in the storage yard, but the more i think about the open trailer it just makes sense to save for a fully enclosed one.

If your business could afford it I would go for it. I would love to have an enclosed trailer but at this point the business cant justify it and there is no way I can justify it, wait let me rephrase that. There is no way my wife will let me spend ore of our personal savings for one lol.

Steve
09-15-2009, 04:06 PM
Could you put up something like this?

http://users.cablemo.net/~jjshultz/sonex/images/painting/PaintBooth1.jpg

picframer
09-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Could you put up something like this?

http://users.cablemo.net/~jjshultz/sonex/images/painting/PaintBooth1.jpg

I have gone through three of these darn things, they just can't take the wind but for $350.00......and due to the snow we get they don't stand up well either, the more expensive ones will, I have several clients with them but at a $2,500. price tag, I can put a building up and enclose it over time which is what I have done twoce, both are now full and I need to build another.

All of my lawn gear and chain saws are locked in a cargo trailer which has an alarm or one of my sheds which are also alarmed, the tractors, trailers etc. just set outside.

FL lawns
09-16-2009, 07:19 AM
thats a great idea steve. i wonder what wind speeds that can handle? i live in florida and we often see 15mph+ winds. i think im going to just get an enclosed trailer, ill wait a few extra weeks and save the cash. well worth it since its a longterm investment. thanks

Steve
09-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Keep us posted on how this all works out!

What was the price difference in the trailers you were looking at, of open vs enclosed?

Wayne909
09-22-2009, 03:16 AM
The only open trailer i have is a 20ft used to haul logs to the mill. As for weathering it, its used to hall logs, so it will never be pretty. I just paint it once a year with rust preventive paints.

But if you have equip that you don't wont wet when its parked at home.. I would suggest a car port that just as the roof on it, and then buying metal for the rear, and sides. Car ports around here go for around $200-800 depending on size, and tin about $17 a sheet (roofing tin) last time i check any way(are if u wont use old barn tin, and paint it).. I also recommend 4x4s run down each side at 3-4 a side(1-2 in rear) concreted into the ground 2-3ft, and lag bolted to the metal car port frame.Then 2x4s run down them connecting them to each other for strength. We run 1 row up top of the 4x4, and 1 row middle down the 4x4s all the way around (mean connecting all 3 sides). Cause once you put side on the thing, you no longer have to worry about wind getting under it (which is why they blow down/twist). We did this to my buddies, and even put a garage door on it(framed it in). We did his for under $700, which he got the car port pretty cheap.. Its seems pretty strong, and as made it through a number of bad storms. Not saying the next wind wont take it away(as in straight winds etc).

To be honest though, if your worried about you equip getting wet.. I would consider an enclosed trailer. I say that cause there will come days that it is not supposed to rain, and guess what? Your out on a job site, and it comes a hard rain.

As for keeping the trailer secured, I just use a locking type deal that goes in the ball spot.

rmswinston
10-12-2009, 01:31 PM
thats a great idea steve. i wonder what wind speeds that can handle? i live in florida and we often see 15mph+ winds. i think im going to just get an enclosed trailer, ill wait a few extra weeks and save the cash. well worth it since its a longterm investment. thanks

Im kinda limited on space so i think i will just park the trailer with the mower and everything else on it in the wallmart parking lot!!!..lol!!.just kidding!!...I am considering paying 100 bucks a month for a 15' long x 10' wide storage unit.kinda pricy though,but,i do like the idea of being able to just back the trailer rite in at the end of the day..cant keep the gas cans in there though...well..technicly..the mower isnt supposed to have gas in it either but