PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to the site...sprinkler question

fitoslandscaping.com
09-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been reading this website for a while but never registered. I've also recently bought a couple of Steve's books and especially love the marketing book. In fact, we just entered a parade last week at the suggestion of the book!

My question, and motivation for registering today, is to get some feedback on what size compressor for winterizing sprinklers? Home Depot has one on sale that they used to rent out and therefore have on sale. It was usually $700 and is now only $450. It does 10.5 CFM @ 90 psi. Is this enough? This will be our first year winterizing sprinklers so I'm not too sure about how much I need.

Thanks! Love this site.

- Michelle (Fito's wife who figures all this stuff out before he goes out and does the actual work :)

Steve
09-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Welcome to our forum!

How did you enjoy doing the parade? What did you do there? Give us some of the low down.

Did you take any pictures?

My question, and motivation for registering today, is to get some feedback on what size compressor for winterizing sprinklers? Home Depot has one on sale that they used to rent out and therefore have on sale. It was usually $700 and is now only $450. It does 10.5 CFM @ 90 psi. Is this enough? This will be our first year winterizing sprinklers so I'm not too sure about how much I need.

Here are two links to check out that might help.

How your lawn care business can winterize irrigation systems and make money. (http://lawnchat.com/?p=283)
and
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=6265

fitoslandscaping.com
09-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks, Steve. The parade was fun, and a lot of work. We passed out 3,000 3X5 colored flyers attached to individually wrapped twizzlers. We were up all night stapling them together to get ready. I spent $200 to enter the parade, plus another $150 on the candy. We pulled our wrapped trailer along with family members sitting in the back of the truck. Me and my Dad and brother ran along the parade route giving out the candies. Everyone loved them, and I took your advice and had a coupon on part of the flyer as a "parade special". We haven't had any calls from it yet but I'm still glad we did it....one of our new customers was on the sideline shouting out "HEY FITO" to my husband as he drive the truck. So it was good exposure.

Regarding the sprinkler winterizing question....I had actually already read the two links you sent me as they are in your book. I still don't understand, and can't find a clear answer on the web anywhere, as to the needed size of the compressor. I'm surprised to see SUCH a difference in the numbers. Some say use only 100+ CFM and on the link you sent/in your book it says just 5+CFM @ 40 psi. Which still leaves me wondering if 10.5CFM @ 90psi will do the trick or be so slow I'll have wasted our $450.

Any advice?

Steve
09-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Well it seems there is a danger of pumping to much air through the lines too quickly. It can melt them. I would probably line up a bunch of jobs for one day and then rent one and see how it works out.

arthur712
09-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Welcome to the Forum!!