PDA

View Full Version : New Logo

FloridaBoy
09-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Had a new logo designed, i love it, and thought i would show it off a little bit.:cool:

Its amazing how something so little can add this much new life to my attitude for my company.:D

FloridaBoy
09-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Here is a shot of the business card set-up, Front & Back.

anyone know of a good company to use for having the cards made up. I am going to check a couple of local shops, i try to support the local businesses if i can, don't mind spending a few extra dollars to " stimulate the local economy, besides its just good karma".;)

mark123
09-12-2009, 07:16 AM
The only thing I'd have issues with is the email address. Domain names are less than $10 per year and you can find hosting for about $2 per month and I think some domain resellers also offer email hosting for free.

The free email services look unprofessional.

Steve
09-12-2009, 10:30 AM
I love the design! What made you want to re-design it all?

Have you considered using vistaprint?

prestige
09-12-2009, 01:04 PM
A little known tip is you can use Gmail for your own domain's email. So you can get a domain name for $7.99 from GoDaddy & point it to Gmail for free & use their email services. It's a great idea.

-David

FloridaBoy
09-12-2009, 01:21 PM
The only thing I'd have issues with is the email address. Domain names are less than $10 per year and you can find hosting for about $2 per month and I think some domain resellers also offer email hosting for free.

The free email services look unprofessional.

Well at this time there is no website, i have tried to do it myself, just can't get it to look like the way i picture it, and i am not very comp. savy. what takes some people 5 min. designing takes me an hour haha.

and i am not spending two or three hundred right now to have one done for me.

I am not sure how you mean it looks unprofessional, its a E-Mail address?

FloridaBoy
09-12-2009, 01:26 PM
I love the design! What made you want to re-design it all?

Have you considered using vistaprint?

I am really not 100% sure why, i guess it was just to get that renewed fealing for the business, have been doing this for 15 years, and it was time for a change.

It will be my first time doing any truck lettering and wanted it to be good, not just your typical "insert name" lawncare, wanted it bright, bring attention, and have that sunny,breezy, palm trees blowing in the wind, relaxing with a cold beverage feel.

Steve
09-12-2009, 03:36 PM
It's going to look INCREDIBLE on the side of your truck. I can't wait to see the signs you make.

Having new graphics can get you feeling more pumped about what you're doing, I agree with you.

Great job.

It will be my first time doing any truck lettering and wanted it to be good, not just your typical "insert name" lawncare, wanted it bright, bring attention, and have that sunny,breezy, palm trees blowing in the wind, relaxing with a cold beverage feel.

I think that is very interesting after all these years you didn't have any truck signs. Why do you think that was? Do you think not having the signs on your vehicle had any negative effects?

Would you advise newer start-ups to get signs on their vehicle or no?

FloridaBoy
09-12-2009, 03:56 PM
It's going to look INCREDIBLE on the side of your truck. I can't wait to see the signs you make.

Having new graphics can get you feeling more pumped about what you're doing, I agree with you.

Great job.

I think that is very interesting after all these years you didn't have any truck signs. Why do you think that was? Do you think not having the signs on your vehicle had any negative effects?

Would you advise newer start-ups to get signs on their vehicle or no?

Well, when i started i did have the magnetic signs, at that time there was no logo, just name, #, etc. now that i look back, CHEESY, i think that can be a downfall right there.

When starting, i think you need good equipment, that is not cheap, but you need the right equipment to grow, so do you buy cheap equipment so you can have all the advertising , or good equipment and rely on hard work, good attitude and relationship with customers, word of mouth and reputation blows away any advertising you can do.

I personally have never advertised, but i am taking some bigger steps forward in services offered and feel its time to put some money into it.

Back to original question about start-up businesses, if you have the money go for it, if not then wait, the ultimate goal is to earn money , do what works and foremost makes you proud and happy.

Steve
09-12-2009, 04:23 PM
I personally have never advertised, but i am taking some bigger steps forward in services offered and feel its time to put some money into it.

Can you tell me more of what you mean by this?

Like are you offering higher end landscaping services so you want to create this bigger and better image now? Or how do you mean 'bigger steps forward in services offered'?

mark123
09-12-2009, 04:31 PM
... I am not sure how you mean it looks unprofessional, its a E-Mail address?
Ask Leo (http://ask-leo.com/why_is_using_hotmail_for_my_business_such_a_bad_id ea.html). To me it's kind of like wearing a tuxedo but instead of getting a nice pair of shoes you just get some crocs out of the trash can, put them on and head to the dance.

mark123
09-12-2009, 05:56 PM
... and i am not spending two or three hundred right now to have one done for me. ...
Wait, wait, wait. Where can you get a website for $300? Do they do a professional job??

I do like your new logo and card. They are very well done.

Steve
09-13-2009, 11:44 AM
You can always consider registering a domain and throwing up one of my free web templates (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7218) just to get you started.

mark123
09-13-2009, 12:26 PM
You can always consider registering a domain and throwing up one of my free web templates (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7218) just to get you started.

Actually, you don't even need a web site to have email hosting but I used a freebie template for a couple of months before I redesigned my site and it's a fine solution.

Steve
09-13-2009, 07:45 PM
That is a very good point. I bet if you called godaddy.com or the like, they could get a domain set up and a website address for you all on the phone without having to do any programming.

Their tech support seems to work pretty well.

mark123
09-13-2009, 08:39 PM
That is a very good point. I bet if you called godaddy.com or the like, they could get a domain set up and a website address for you all on the phone without having to do any programming.

Their tech support seems to work pretty well.
If you buy a domain name from them don't you get email hosting for free? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

brain
09-15-2009, 07:29 PM
If you buy a domain name from them don't you get email hosting for free? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

I've had plenty of domain names from godaddy and have never received email hosting for free. But I've only used their services for my domain name and never for hosting a website. Most places will give you free email hosting with a website hosting package. Some of these sites can be fairly hard to initially set up, but once it's done, there is not much to worry about (except ton's of SPAM in your inbox).

I do also agree though that there are ways to use a "floridaboy@specialfx.com" email address for very little money and that it does look so much more professional than @hotmail.com.

mark123
09-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Hmm. Since this one came back up I found this: http://www.godaddy.com/email/email-hosting.aspx. Even if you don't go the free route that's pretty cheap. :)

Edit - I knew I read it somewhere:
This is under godaddy.com -> My products -> Free products
http://www.imaginekitty.com/external/pictures/freemail.gif

I've never used it but it seems like they do give you one free email box per domain.

hallec
09-16-2009, 02:35 PM
I can confirm that GoDaddy does give a free email account now with 1 gig of storage to go with each domain name (it used to be 25 megs). No web hosting package is required to get this. You do have to set it up by clicking on the "use credit" link as mark123 pointed out.

They provide a webmail interface for your email account. You have to log in to the webmail with the entire email address as the username and the password you set up specifically for your email account.

You get the one free email address but you can set it to be a "catch all" account, meaning that any email sent to any address @yourdomain.com will arrive in your email inbox. You can also set it up to forward any received emails to one or more other email addresses. I use this to forward email from several domains to my primary email account so I only have to check the one email address to get all my email.

And by the way, anyone with an old 25 meg GoDaddy "free with domain" email account can upgrade it to 1 gig free of charge:

1. Select 'Email' option from the 'My Products' menu.
2. Click "Manage Account" next to the email package that contains the email address (es) in question.
3. Click on the email address you would like to change the storage space for.
4. In the "Space for the Mailbox:" section, enter the disk space you wish the account to have in Megabytes (up to 1000 for a free email with purchased domain name account).
5. Click "OK"

I have to say I love dealing with local companies that I can communicate with easily over the Internet rather than having to call them.

FloridaBoy
09-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Wait, wait, wait. Where can you get a website for $300? Do they do a professional job??

I do like your new logo and card. They are very well done.

well, i may have low balled that number a little bit, ok alot. haha. My wife is an office manager for a dental office and knows a person who does web designing and hosting, he mentioned normal prices range from $400 to $700 for average site design, well..... business sucks right now, so a plus for me, said he wouls so one for $150-$175 right now , just to get some work.

That leads me to this,
* Brother in-law just opened a skate shop
* Cousin just opened a large sports bar
* and neighbor is starting a wedding on the beaches company, all these people and myself want sites designed, that puts all the power of money on are side, you want are business, you have it, for the right prime price.

I look at it if he is not makeing any money, $125x4 sites, not bad if u need money.

Is that taking advantage, or just smart business?

Steve
09-16-2009, 09:19 PM
I look at it if he is not makeing any money, $125x4 sites, not bad if u need money.

There are a ton of web templates out there for any type of business and to use any of them, shouldn't cost too much.

But I guess it all depends on what you want your site to do.

I think that is awesome you know so many people starting businesses.

Did they ask you to invest in any of them or ask for your business advice? Did they have any other previous business experience?

mark123
09-17-2009, 06:20 AM
... I look at it if he is not makeing any money, $125x4 sites, not bad if u need money.

I'd have to see his work. I was in the web site business for years and I know there are both good people that are cheap and hacks that are really expensive.

FloridaBoy
09-18-2009, 08:19 PM
There are a ton of web templates out there for any type of business and to use any of them, shouldn't cost too much.

But I guess it all depends on what you want your site to do.

I think that is awesome you know so many people starting businesses.

Did they ask you to invest in any of them or ask for your business advice? Did they have any other previous business experience?

No steve, none of them asked if i wanted to invest, i am really not in the financial position to do that at this time anyway.

And answer to your other question , yes they all have experience, one way or the other, example-
* one is a pres. for a large non profit agency
* another is regional manager for chain of used car dealerships
* and last on has owned bars and still owns a lawn service at this time.

I guess for the time being, just using a standard web template now would be ok, to get foot in door, and custimize it later to my desire. The sign company that i have chosen to do my truck, business cards, and signage does web design and hosting , may just use them and keep all in house.

FloridaBoy
09-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Oh, i also wanted to update because i know it drew alot of attention.

On another thread that i can't remember, i mentioned talking to my daughters school about volunteering to maintaine the area around the entrance to the main office, well i had short conversation with principle yesterday,and she said she had no problem at all with me putting a sign out stating something like volunteer maintanance provided by Special FX Lawn & Property Maintenance Inc. etc. etc. ( shameless plug ):p, and she told me she would put it in every monthly newsletter that goes home with every child, every month. have appointment with her for tuesday morning.

NOW THATS ADVERTISING IF YOU ASK ME. :D

I will start a new thread about this after my meeting with her.:cool:

Steve
09-19-2009, 01:04 PM
I will start a new thread about this after my meeting with her.

Please do!

Can you take some before and after pictures? Also will you be sending a press release to the local media? This sounds like a great media opportunity.

arthur712
09-23-2009, 02:11 PM
That Logo and cards look great!

Good job!