PDA

View Full Version : Hello from new member

rescobedo
09-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Hello,

My name is Richard from Richard & Sons Lawn Services. I look forward to exchanging ideas in the forum. I may not be much help to anyone right now as I am new to the business and starting from the ground level. Whatever situation I run into that I feel may be worthy to share, I will gladly post onto the forum.

I do have some questions to help me get started:

1. What kind of marketing should I concentrate on now?

2. At the moment I have 1 push mower and 1 weedeater (see I told you I was starting from the ground up) and alot of energy. Besides mowing and weedeating, what other services could I offer. I do live in South Texas where it doesn't snow and fall is near. So, I will need to offer services that can generate income during the fall and winter season.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to the forum.

Thanks.

Richard

Steve
09-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Hi Richard,

Welcome to our forum!

1. What kind of marketing should I concentrate on now?

Did you get business cards made up yet? Are you posting on craigslist? Do you have a couple extra bucks to put an ad in the local paper?

Are you a member of local community organizations you can socially network in?

2. At the moment I have 1 push mower and 1 weedeater (see I told you I was starting from the ground up) and alot of energy. Besides mowing and weedeating, what other services could I offer. I do live in South Texas where it doesn't snow and fall is near. So, I will need to offer services that can generate income during the fall and winter season.

As we have seen on the forum, the best way to find this out is to ask your current customer base what they need help with.

Fall yard cleanups? Irrigation system maintenance? Gutter cleaning? Small home repair issues? Holiday decorations?

rescobedo
09-11-2009, 04:15 PM
I do have business cards already and I have posted on craigslist about a month ago with no responses.

What is a an average "hit" ratio in regards to fliers? For example how many calls should I expect (if any) from putting 100 fliers on doors?

As far as soliciting my customer base, unfortunately I only have one customer at the moment.

Thanks.

Steve
09-11-2009, 04:26 PM
I do have business cards already and I have posted on craigslist about a month ago with no responses.

How often do you update your craigslist ad? We have seen members on here post their ad 3 times a day to catch people in the morning, lunchtime and at night.

What is a an average "hit" ratio in regards to fliers? For example how many calls should I expect (if any) from putting 100 fliers on doors?

Maybe 1 to 2 %?

So 100 flyers if you are lucky, you will get 1 or 2 people calling you back, but it is very possible you could get 0. That's why we see member when they put out flyers, put out lots more. Over a 1,000 at times.

Are you putting flyers up at store bulletin boards?

Are you a member of any local organizations?

As far as soliciting my customer base, unfortunately I only have one customer at the moment.

How did you land that customer?

rescobedo
09-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Actually, my wife is the one who posted the craigslist ad. I need to ask her how the whole posting works. I am not very good at doing things online. It took me a while to just figure out how to communicate through this forum.

Looks like I need to put out alot more flyers.

I got my 1 customer by a flyer on her front door. That day I only put out 20 flyers. I guess I got very lucky. I've done her yard about 6 times already.

As far as local organizations, I do attend gatherings/events but I promote my new insurance agency at those functions. What is your thought on promoting both businesses?

Steve
09-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Actually, my wife is the one who posted the craigslist ad. I need to ask her how the whole posting works. I am not very good at doing things online. It took me a while to just figure out how to communicate through this forum.

I'd say have her show you how to do it and then experiment for a week or more and post daily. See if you get more calls.

I got my 1 customer by a flyer on her front door. That day I only put out 20 flyers. I guess I got very lucky. I've done her yard about 6 times already.

That is a good start. We have other flyers in the flyer section to hand out to the neighbors of your customer. You should consider doing that after you mow the lawn to get the word out more.

As far as local organizations, I do attend gatherings/events but I promote my new insurance agency at those functions. What is your thought on promoting both businesses?

Hell yea :) Promote everything you do! What kind of insurance are you selling? Do you sell business insurance? If you do, promote it here.

prestige
09-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi rescobedo & welcome to this forum. This place was a great help for me when I started my lawn care business.

I am in California (so no snowplowing), but gutter cleaning was a good add-on. Also, another one I was starting to get into was pool service. If you're already visiting the house once a week, you can replace their current pool cleaner who comes once a month. Pool cleaning is quite easy once you learn how. See if you can clean someone's pool for free for a few months as you "Learn." The only problem could be working with the pumps. If you aren't handy tinkering with a lawnmower, you'd want to have someone else do that. (although it's easy, too).

I got most of my customers by placing a postcard on their doorstep or mailing it. If you're interested in a free design, I'm giving away one today. You can view this thread:
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=9865

Or, if you'd rather, I'd be more than happy to print out 500 free 4x6 postcards for you to help you start your business.

Never stop trying,
-David

arthur712
09-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Richard, Welcome to the forum.

It is great to have you here with us!

rescobedo
09-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi again guys. Sorry I'm late in responding. I've been offline for a while. I appreciate all the welcomes.

Prestige I appreciate the offer on the postcards. What do I have to do to take you up on that?

Thanks again.