PDA

View Full Version : Running a crew with box trucks and or cube vans

TeamDynamic
09-09-2009, 08:31 PM
I have an opportunity to buy a box truck from a buddy for a good price, but I have some issues. I like the idea of a huge canvas for advertising (the box) and the added security compared to an open trailer.

The box truck has a very narrow pull out ramp Does anyone make a wide drop down ramp that can handle riding mowers or do I have to fabricate one myself.

I have a couple customers that require their grass to be bagged. With a pick up I just dump the grass in the bed, where could you put it in a box truck that will not make a mess and be easy to dump.

I know super lawn trucks has these issues solved, but I just can't see spending 60,000 dollars right now.

Does anyone have any ideas?

CHEESE2009
09-10-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm not sure, but you might need a certain license to drive a truck like that. Maybe not.

I have thought about looking into a box truck, the ad space is amazing! The only problem would be, you have no place to put the grass, & if you were to built a ramp, it would extend out tooooo far, just to enable you to get down & up with equipment, without flipping.

It also sounds like more work to haul out your equipment, with the incline of the ramp & what not.

For ad space, my uncle has recommended as my new vehicle, he said I should get a van.

1. The van would stink
2. No place to put grass
3. If I lit a match, I would go KABOOM. It happened to someone recently!!!
4. If I had an accident, I'd have a lawn mower thrown into me.

Steve
09-10-2009, 11:34 AM
A little while back, one of our members added a ramp to a flat bed truck. Now I don't know for sure if this could work on your box truck, but I think it might be possible. Maybe this will give you ideas.

Steve
09-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Oh I just found some more pics with a box truck modification just like the way you could do it. The one member added a rear dove tail to his box truck.

Does this get your mind going?

Do you have a welder and are you handy with it? This could turn out to be a lot of fun.

TeamDynamic
09-10-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm pretty good with a welder, so I can fabricate just about anything. I did some more searching and found these sites which handles the ramp situation. http://www.handyramp.com/cube.html and http://www.traileroutlet.com/@Customized/Truck_Gate/Truck_Gate.htm .

I still cant figure out the grass clipping problem.

TeamDynamic
09-10-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm not sure, but you might need a certain license to drive a truck like that. Maybe not.

In Michigan I think I would need a chauffeurs license, which is a good thing to have anyways. I think it also required if your pulling an enclosed trailer

justin_time
09-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Just get yourself a truck with a trailer with a side ramp like me :p

Steve
09-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I still cant figure out the grass clipping problem.

Ideally what would you need to carry the grass clippings? How much area or space?

TeamDynamic
09-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Ideally what would you need to carry the grass clippings? How much area or space? I have an f-250 with boards on the bed. I usually fill that up with clippings every day I work. Also with fall clean ups coming up in a couple weeks I'm going to need a lot of room for leaves.

mark123
09-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Throw the grass clippings on top of the box, drive on the highway for 10 minutes. No dumping required!

:p

Seann
09-24-2009, 08:38 PM
How wide is the box opening? If you could move the ramp say to the left side of the opening (leaving enough room to get the mower in). On the other side of the opening you could fab. an expanded metal type of box right on the floor. Maybe make it 2ft out from the wall and 4-5 ft deep with a hinged bottom that opens out to the back. You would be wise to give it 5 coats of paint before installing it, this should help with rusting problems. Using expanded metal will allow the grass, etc to breath and be not so noxious. just empty it every day. You could also tap holes under the box to help with venting while on the road

Steve
09-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Could you also shorten the box and put an area in the front to store grass clippings, kinda like this Super Lawn Trucks image?

http://www.superlawntrucks.com/images/client-photos/lilaclawns-large.jpg

TeamDynamic
10-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Could you also shorten the box and put an area in the front to store grass clippings, kinda like this Super Lawn Trucks image?

http://www.superlawntrucks.com/images/client-photos/lilaclawns-large.jpg

Yeah, I like this way the best. I just need to figure out a way to make it dump

Steve
10-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I like this way the best. I just need to figure out a way to make it dump

Could you put a hinge on one side and a hydraulic ram underneath? Then you could turn on the ram and have it lift one side like a dump? Maybe the side that would be dumping could swing open?