PDA

View Full Version : Violets and creeping charlie getting ride of it?

MattW
09-09-2009, 11:50 AM
I have a client that I have picked up late last year his lawn is now one of the best lawns on the street. Minus a patch of violet in the front yard and creeping charlie that is creeping up in the backyard. I have been cutting the lawn 2 1/2 to 3 inches, regularly fertilizing, even spot treatments with a non-selective killer, and pulling it out. What else can I do?

swstout
09-09-2009, 02:15 PM
I have a client that I have picked up late last year his lawn is now one of the best lawns on the street. Minus a patch of violet in the front yard and creeping charlie that is creeping up in the backyard. I have been cutting the lawn 2 1/2 to 3 inches, regularly fertilizing, even spot treatments with a non-selective killer, and pulling it out. What else can I do?

Creeping Charlie thrives in moist, shady spots such as under trees and shrubs.

If you can alter these conditions. Trimming trees and shrubs to allow more sunlight through will help. Also, see if the area is being over watered or the soil is not allowing drainage due to clay or compaction conditions that tend to retain water.

Another possible solution would be to replant the area with a shade loving groundcover such as Periwinkle. Burgess seed has them at 100 for about $12.00. It is a perennial and grows fairly fast. I planted some at a spacing of 6 inches and it had full coverage in about 5 months. It is an evergreen and grows in just about any soil. Nice spring color to.

Steve

MattW
09-12-2009, 11:40 AM
It is mostly sun a little shade in the mid afternoon the whole property is sun except the sides along the house but no weeds there I have been overseeding with a perennial rye grass mix.

Steve
09-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Hi Matt,

Can you take some pictures of the situation over there?

It would be great if you had some before and after pics even for your website to promote your services.

I'd love to see them too.