PDA

View Full Version : New to the Biz

Jenna's Lawn Care
09-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Hello all! Looking into getting started with this business. Any good referrals out there? I have always loved yardwork and due to my recent layoff, I decided to dedicate myself to this wholeheartedly. Looking for some advise on how to get the ball rolling (or mower.....).

Thanks,
Jerry.

CHEESE2009
09-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Hey! Welcome to the forum!

As for advice, your in the right spot!

Over in Montreal, we only have 6 months of lawn maintenance. May - October

Some places do lawn service all year round.

If your like me, there isn't much you can do as far as marketing.

At this point, people who drop hired help wont bother hiring/ trying out another company because fall & winter is just around the corner.

... I just broke the "o" key off my laptop... Crap...

Anyway, the best way to get out there & get your company known is simple give or take.

You can start by designing flyers;

Offered services
telephone number
company name
maybe an image of your previous work on a property

Basically a reason to get potential customers interested enough to choose you over someone else.

I highly recommend that you do not put your prices on your flyer!

Maybe you'll only start off with customers who aren't willing to pay the advertised price? You need a base, then to build yourself up!

I went out with a starting price for my lawn service and sent out 7000 flyers with basically 0% feedback.

Example: You could start off charging enough to make a bare minimum profit & end up with 30 lawns... or you can send out flyers saying your starting price is $100.00/month & end up with 1 client...

It's all about taking chances at least the first/second year.

So go ahead & get all the low paying (but profitable) customers & as you build up, then charge more for new clients & drop the old ones.

Doing any lawn is free advertising. I have gotten many clients by just being seen working on a neighbors yard etc.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Another thing, you don't have to dump the previous clients. Every season you could up your price by $5.00 or more & if they stay, great! It's actually better than nothing, right?!

Anyway, what kind of equipment do you own?

I recommend;

Mower
Trimmer
Blower

^ basic

though I also recommend having backup money in case your mower gets busted.

Imagine you start off well & your company blossoms, then your only mower falls apart... What do you do? It's not pay day yet, you started without any savings & never though this could happen...

It could easily cost you the price of a new mower, so make sure you are prepared!

anyway, everyone has great ideas & suggestions. These are some simple steps.

Also, if the lawn season is almost over in your area, ever think of getting into snow removal?

There are a ton of other jobs we can all think of for you to do. This forum is a place to brainstorm.

GOOD LUCK!!!

- Scott

... I have to fix the "o" key on the keyboard but it wont click back on.!!!

swstout
09-05-2009, 03:02 AM
Hello all! Looking into getting started with this business. Any good referrals out there? I have always loved yardwork and due to my recent layoff, I decided to dedicate myself to this wholeheartedly. Looking for some advise on how to get the ball rolling (or mower.....).

Thanks,
Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

It's a tough time to get started! The end of the season, many people like you have been laid off or fear being laid off, and more and more people are becoming Do-It Yourselfers. Anyone with a lawn mower can and will try to do the same thing you are. You have to stand above the crowd.

First and foremost, be professional. Your not just a business owner 9 to 5, you have to be one 24/7. Your appearance, language and demeanor will be noticed and remembered. I'm not saying to wear a suit and tie, but, be heat and professional. You are entering the service industry and dress appropriately. Electricians, plumbers, mechanics and other service people have a perceived appearance to the public. Don't do anything off the job you wouldn't do in front of your customers on the job. You never know who's watching!

Second, know your environment. What is the most common turfs in your locale. Know what the optimum growing conditions are for these turfs (pH, fertilizer needs, nutrient and micro-nutrient needs, insect infestation and lawn diseases, etc.). Proper mowing height and irrigation needs. In other words educate yourself so you can educate and respond to your customers.

Third, know the environmental concerns and regulations of your area. Many areas of the country now have restrictions on chemical and synthetic lawn care products such as fertilizer, pesticides and herbicides. These affect not only the environment, but the health of people (especially children) and pets. If there is not restrictions where you live now, there probably will be soon! Educate yourself about organic lawn care and offer the service.

Forth, Get your name out there. Advertising is expensive so make the most of what is available. I have tried flyers, hand-outs, direct mail, even radio. My best results have been ads in the local newspaper, lawn signs and referral bonuses (I offer gift cards to Lowe's and WalMart with values of $10 to $100). Word of mouth is the best advertising.

Fifth, with more and more people doing it themselves, strive to offer services that compliment their efforts. Aeration, lawn supplements (lime, sulfur, iron, etc.) dethatching, over seeding, lawn leveling, top dressing, hedge and tree trimming and many other services.

Steve

Steve
09-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Hi Jerry,

Welcome to our forum!

Where are you at now with your lawn care business and what are some of your future plans now that a few members gave you some ideas?

arthur712
09-05-2009, 03:39 PM

Thanks,
Jerry.

Welcom To he Forum Jerry!

You should be able to look around the forum and get tons good things!