PDA

View Full Version : How are we supose to survive

jasonw
09-02-2009, 01:37 PM
with adds like this
http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/biz/1354975645.html
I couldn't believe someone could even be in business for rates like this. These prices are less than half what I charge.

justin_time
09-02-2009, 02:12 PM
with adds like this
I couldn't believe someone could even be in business for rates like this. These prices are less than half what I charge.

And this guy can't even spell Trimm lol

jasonw
09-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Am I wrong to think that is way to cheap? I guess it speaks for itself and chances are his work is just as cheap and he wont be around long. Just the fact that adds like this are out there annoys me as they will for sure call him first.

fieroboi
09-02-2009, 05:43 PM
I have to agree with you Jason. However that being said, keep in mind that when people advertise they give their lowest rates, he doesn't have a disclaimer on giving lot size specs or anything. My guess is that he is new and his pricing will change. I had a similar experience last fall when a customer called to have some snow removed. When I gave him my price he was shocked and said to me that would explain why the guys he hired the first time didn't do as their price was so low ... the customer commented that they must be picking up only really small driveways at their price, cause they didn't touch his at all. Needless to say, I got a customer and they didn't.

I wouldn't fret too much about it, they probably won't be there in the long run.

picframer
09-02-2009, 08:05 PM
with adds like this

I take these ad's with a grain of salt, more power to them if they want to loose money and they won't last long, call them up and get a quote on your own yard and if they will do all that for $60. a month, hire them and have a cold one while they cut your lawn, trim and fertilize, I would hire them in a heart beat to do my three acres:)....and they can hold the fertilizer.

Around here there is similar posts for $25.00, I have seen some of their work, they quite only get one mow as the quality I have seen is poor at best, just ride it out and offer other services that they do not have the equipment for, this is what I did back in May and have never looked back.

jasonw
09-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I take these ad's with a grain of salt, more power to them if they want to loose money and they won't last long, call them up and get a quote on your own yard and if they will do all that for $60. a month, hire them and have a cold one while they cut your lawn, trim and fertilize, I would hire them in a heart beat to do my three acres:)....and they can hold the fertilizer.

Around here there is similar posts for $25.00, I have seen some of their work, they quite only get one mow as the quality I have seen is poor at best, just ride it out and offer other services that they do not have the equipment for, this is what I did back in May and have never looked back.

I sent him an email asking for a quote. No big shock he never got back to me. I made sure to flag his post in spite as well.

Steve
09-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Here is the ad so others can see what you are talking about.

jasonw
09-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks Steve. I personally don't car if other know who he is, I would not have fuzzed out the name but oh well. As already stated, chances are he wont last long.

turfmaster
09-02-2009, 09:36 PM
If he does good work hire him. LOL

jasonw
09-02-2009, 10:34 PM
If he does good work hire him. LOL

You make a good point. If he dose good work I will bring him on board, I doubt this is the case though. As I said I charge twice that at the least and have a hard time offering the quality for the money earned. I assume he just mows, blows and goes. Probably never ask a client what length they prefer there grass to be. For the record I have still yet to have a reply on my request for a quote.

turfmaster
09-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Your on the right track.
Stick to your guns on pricing and continue to offer top notch services and people will pay for it.
There will always be lowballers in this business. The successful ones will have had to raise their prices because they realized they were working for nothing.
A good proportion of them will go work for someone else because they don't have the business sense.

jasonw
09-03-2009, 10:53 AM
To follow is the quote he gave me $15 per hour? How dose he pay for gas, I am assuming his caps lock key is stuck on as well.

"$60 A MONTH COMPLETE SERVICE $15 AN HOUR TO CUT TRESS AND CLEAN UP IF I GET MONTHLY ACCOUNT I WILL PRUNE TREES BACK AND CLEAN UP FOR $45 UP TO (4) TREES AND SHRUBS THANKS LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU NEED AND I CAN GIVE A CLOSER ESTIMATE THANK YOU"

turfmaster
09-03-2009, 12:40 PM
To follow is the quote he gave me $15 per hour? How dose he pay for gas, I am assuming his caps lock key is stuck on as well.

"$60 A MONTH COMPLETE SERVICE $15 AN HOUR TO CUT TRESS AND CLEAN UP IF I GET MONTHLY ACCOUNT I WILL PRUNE TREES BACK AND CLEAN UP FOR $45 UP TO (4) TREES AND SHRUBS THANKS LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU NEED AND I CAN GIVE A CLOSER ESTIMATE THANK YOU"

This guy seems like a young guy starting out maybe with dad's equipment and he definitely doesn't know the true costs of doing business. He will either quickly learn or fail.

You should refer him to our forum here at gopher so we can set him straight. LOL. :D

Turf-TecLawns
09-15-2009, 11:16 AM

[I[/I]

Isn't your monthly special $20 cuts for the whole month of September? His caps lock is broke and your spell check is broke? I wonder if he has a truck or is he showing up at accounts in a multi-colored Toyota station wagon with a loud exhaust? Sounds like you guys could be at the same level with your businesses.

jasonw
09-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Wow someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Pay attention before you post. The Toyota is parked, Monthly September special is just that a special for new customers and my spell checker is working just fine. If it is not please send all the cheese and wine to the firefox guys.

jasonw
09-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Pardon my rudeness. I just noticed your reply was your first post to the forum. Ok lets start over. It would be beneficial to search through and read some of the posts, especially before targeting anyone who has been here a while. One would sound way smarter if one knew what they were talking about before talking in that respect. Hey are you the guy that posted that add are you? That would make since as you seem sensitive to the subject. Anyway welcome to the forum. there are a lot of good knowledgeable people here that can help you take your business to the next level.

SuperiorPower
09-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Pardon my rudeness. I just noticed your reply was your first post to the forum. Ok lets start over. It would be beneficial to search through and read some of the posts, especially before targeting anyone who has been here a while. One would sound way smarter if one knew what they were talking about before talking in that respect. Hey are you the guy that posted that add are you? That would make since as you seem sensitive to the subject. Anyway welcome to the forum. there are a lot of good knowledgeable people here that can help you take your business to the next level.

You took the words from my mouth....