PDA

View Full Version : Advertise with the Wind Banner

majoe7
09-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Advertise with the Wind Banner. I am starting to see this pop up all over in my city and they defiantly caught my eye. You could set this up in a snap on your job site or lawn care site to gain some advertisement for your business. This way when people drive by and see the banner flying in the wind, they will know who is doing the job. You could put your business name and phone number on it so they can contact you in the future. You could also attach one of those business card holders to your vehicle/trailer and they will have access to a card too. You might need a local permit to use this in your area, but I am not too sure. I thought of a way of getting around this and I came up with this idea. Take an orange hazard cone and slide the pole into it and put in back into its base, place it out next to the road by your trailer. You can also just purchase the outdoor base and hammer it into the ground and save some money. If the local authority tells you that you need a permit, just tell them that it is your hazard marker to prevent accidents from occurring to your trailer. Call it prevention mechanism.

It does cost a good penny but the return can be priceless. Look at what you spend in your budget on advertising and see if it is affordable to you or a better way to market your business.

Here are some web sites to look at. The first one has a lot of different styles, but no prices. The second one shows styles and prices. You have to determine if it is worth it. If you want to search for more, just Google – Wind Banners. There are a lot of companies doing this and maybe one right in your backyard.

www.boulderexhibits.com/outdoor-banners.htm
On this site I like the Kite Banner

www.bcdisplays.com/WindBanners.html

Just thinking again. :rolleyes:

John

majoe7
09-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Advertise with the Wind Banner. I am starting to see this pop up all over in my city and they defiantly caught my eye. You could set this up in a snap on your job site or lawn care site to gain some advertisement for your business. This way when people drive by and see the banner flying in the wind, they will know who is doing the job. You could put your business name and phone number on it so they can contact you in the future. You could also attach one of those business card holders to your vehicle/trailer and they will have access to a card too. You might need a local permit to use this in your area, but I am not too sure. I thought of a way of getting around this and I came up with this idea. Take an orange hazard cone and slide the pole into it and put in back into its base, place it out next to the road by your trailer. You can also just purchase the outdoor base and hammer it into the ground and save some money. If the local authority tells you that you need a permit, just tell them that it is your hazard marker to prevent accidents from occurring to your trailer. Call it prevention mechanism.

It does cost a good penny but the return can be priceless. Look at what you spend in your budget on advertising and see if it is affordable to you or a better way to market your business.

Here are some web sites to look at. The first one has a lot of different styles, but no prices. The second one shows styles and prices. You have to determine if it is worth it. If you want to search for more, just Google Wind Banners. There are a lot of companies doing this and maybe one right in your backyard.

www.boulderexhibits.com/outdoor-banners.htm
On this site I like the Kite Banner

www.bcdisplays.com/WindBanners.html

Just thinking again.

John

I forgot to add some pics of them if you don't want to check out the web sites.

arthur712
09-02-2009, 07:55 AM
John, These are great! I use them, But one bad thing is that they rip and brake with in a couple months. I do leave them out all the time, maybe if I took them in at night they would not get that bad.

I mostly use the Yard Sign. They do not look as good but for the price deference. I can get a ton more exposure.

Don't get me wrong I still like and use the Wind Banners.

Thanks!
Artie Crowley

Steve
09-02-2009, 08:33 AM
That is a great idea! What if you fabricated a mount that allowed you to pull the banner up to being vertical on a swivel and lock it into place while you were stopped. Then you could unlock it and drop it into a channel between some wood or metal so it didnt get ripped apart when you were driving?

You could change these banners all year round for different services you might offer. Snow plowing, mowing, leaf cleanup, gutter cleaning etc.

justin_time
09-02-2009, 11:29 AM
That is a great idea! What if you fabricated a mount that allowed you to pull the banner up to being vertical on a swivel and lock it into place while you were stopped. Then you could unlock it and drop it into a channel between some wood or metal so it didnt get ripped apart when you were driving?

You could change these banners all year round for different services you might offer. Snow plowing, mowing, leaf cleanup, gutter cleaning etc.

Hmm Joe's lawn care.. is that your new business Steve ;) LOL

picframer
09-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Hmm Joe's lawn care.. is that your new business Steve ;) LOL

And his trailer is SOOOO Clean, times must be tough...lol

Interesting idea, personally I think the cost of these units is far too high but if it's new and there is no mass production that would explain it.

I saw a notice by our mail boxes yesterday that there is a community get together to trim trees, shrubs etc at our community park this Saturday and they want residents to help, so I called this morning and said I would donate a chipper and two staff to run it, then I called a local promotion company and ordered 500 baloons, I will rent a tank to fill them with and personally hand them out to the kids. I do next to no work in our community, never advertised here and we have had so much work I never bothered but I was thinking there are so many tree clean up jobs around this area I should so we will see how this goes. I'll bring one of our bigger tractors for show with the chipper attached.

FloridaBoy
09-02-2009, 10:21 PM
I love the banner idea attached to the trailer, but if Arty says they break down fast, then the investment wouldn't be good enough for me. All us florida companies know what the brutal sun and rain do to every work shirt,and piece of equipment, i'm sure the fabric is tough but i don't know if i would try it.:confused:

That idea Picframer has is smart marketing right there, you are in the peoples face, letting them see you and your equipment in action, and doing valuable work for your community.:cool:

I have a meeting with my daughters school principal to volunteer my services to maintain the grass and landscaping in front of the school offices, and parking areas( high visibility to teachers and parents), going to ask if i may place a company sign in that area. May be a little cheesy to volunteer and advertise at the same time, but business is business.:D

Steve
09-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I have a meeting with my daughters school principal to volunteer my services to maintain the grass and landscaping in front of the school offices, and parking areas( high visibility to teachers and parents), going to ask if i may place a company sign in that area. May be a little cheesy to volunteer and advertise at the same time, but business is business

Keep us posted on how this turns out. Also how did you line up that meeting? Was this your idea or theirs?

FloridaBoy
09-03-2009, 07:59 PM
First off it was my idea because it looks like crap,( thank you to the fine cut backs in Florida education, leave the pot holes alone and teach are kids the right way):mad: Thats another hole thread in itself, haha.

But i just brought it up to the Principal one day when i was picking up my daughter from school, she was so excited that someone would volunteer to do that, so i told her i would stop in one day, and she was like please, please do. :eek:

At first it was in my head to just be nice, but the more i thought about it, if i can get any advertising out of it, why not.:cool:

So, after i meet with her, i will let you all know what happened.

Steve
09-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Very good! I am looking forwards to this. If you do get this happening, someone should contact the local media too so you can get on tv or in the paper.

SuperiorPower
09-05-2009, 11:04 AM
That is a cool idea, but when it comes to the idea of mounting it on the trailer, wouldn't it be just as good or better to have large signs on your trailer when you consider that the signs are far more durable and should last years (depending on sun fading, etc)? If the signs are made out of metal and attached properly, then they can stay up while you drive, giving you much more exposure. I understand that sometimes customers' eye catches unique advertising methods. But in the same time, you have to ask yourself, could I spend the same advertising $$$ better by investing it in a more durable advertising method, like durable metal signs that will last many times longer?

Not only could you place the sings on the sides of the trailer, but you could also place them on the sides of your truck, on the tail gate of your truck, on the tailgate of your trailer, etc. The problem with placing signs on the tailgate of the truck or trailer is the aerodynamic affect of trying to drive with the signs there. Besides, unless you have a strong frame to hold the sign in, the sign could be damaged by the wind force against its flat surface while driving, especially at highway speeds.

If you wanted to, consider order small yard signs that say something like "This yard and landscaping is professionally maintained by ABC Lawn-care and Landscapes. Have your lawn and landscaping professionally maintained contact us at telephone # 123-456-7890". If this is too much wording, just say something like "If you would like to have your lawn and landscaping professionally maintained by ABC Lawn-care and Landscapes contact them at telephone # 123-456-7890" or "You too can have your lawn and landscaping professionally maintained by ABC Lawn-care and Landscapes! 123-456-7890".

I personally like the last one best since it "enables" or "qualifies" them as a customer where as the others make it sound as if any Joe Blow could hire you to do their work. After all, you are the best in town and not everyone is worthy of your labor. There are some customers in town who are simply at the same level as the cheap "low balling" lawn care company...

Just some thoughts....
Eli

Steve
09-05-2009, 11:34 AM
I personally like the last one best since it "enables" or "qualifies" them as a customer where as the others make it sound as if any Joe Blow could hire you to do their work. After all, you are the best in town and not everyone is worthy of your labor.

Eli this is a very interesting post. Can you tell us a little more what you mean by it enables or qualifies them?

SuperiorPower
09-05-2009, 01:47 PM
The idea of enabling or qualifying a customer, as I understand it, is simply that when you "qualify" a customer, you promote the idea that they are worthy of your services. It also gives you a "premium" appearance and permits you to charge for your premium services. Think about it, if you place the idea in your customers mind that not everyone is worthy of your services, then when you "accept" them as a customer, they should feel privileged enough that they are willing to pay your prices. You have to place the idea in their head that you don't "need" them but rather that they need you. You are not selling your services, you are doing a community service and by charging for these services you simply have to recoup your costs.....

By low balling, you place the idea in their head that you are desperate for their business. By qualifying them, you accept them into your circle of "clients". There are also numerous other words/terms to use to place a subconscious value to your services....

Kind of along the same lines is a marketing ploy that I see from auto dealers here here constantly. I receive these fliers with a key taped to it. The key is not my point tho, the "guaranteed" $2000 or whatever trade in value does get customers attention tho. Think about it, they have successfully cause customers to believe that their piece of junk is work $2000 to the dealer. The dealer has simply figured this trade in value into the sale price of the vehicle. Of course most of us know how to see through this and know what they are doing. But all in all, its a psychological game or ploy. The bottom line is, even if we see through the ploy, we are still faced with their advertisement and are more likely to consider them when we go to purchase a new vehicle.

In addition to the yard sign I mentioned, you could also install one of those brochure holders like Artie sells or the ones like realtors use for property fliers and have a flier that list of requirements that have to be met to "qualify" for your services. Words to use include "professional", "need", etc. Its all in the marketing.... Of course the flier is simply that, a flier, its just a different angle.

Hope this helps,
Eli