PDA

View Full Version : lot pricing help

gogreenlc
08-30-2009, 09:42 PM
I need help with pricing on cutting a lot. The lot is 2600 sqft and is covered with gravel. Weeds and grass have grown through it and some weeds are as tall as me. Im 5'11" tall.. I can not use any mower to cut it and the last to companies the did damaged their mowers and never came back. So can any help me please. Also, what should i charge every two weeks to keep it up? I cut it once before but underbidded my self and it took 10 hours weedeating it by myself.

kdexpd
08-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Hi gogreenlc

First of all, you would have better luck if you moved this to the "Help me bid this job" thread in the main forum.
But I would be glad to help if I can. Tell me, what kind of equipment are you working with? i.e mower, trimmers, etc. What, if any, equipment do you have access to from other sources such as friends, rental equipment stores, etc.? Is this a commercial account or residential?

gogreenlc
08-31-2009, 12:25 AM
im using a stihl FS90 trimmer for the job... this is my second year in business and still learning. I dont have a vero turn mower but i coulnt use one because the terrain is so rocky.

kdexpd
08-31-2009, 02:43 AM
Here are a few things to think about:

Are you able to buy a saw blade attachment for your Stihl?
I have an FS110 and I have a blade for mine. It cuts through even the thickest weeds like a hot knife through butter.

Would the customer be willing to let you spray the area with a herbicide?
It sounds as if the area is too rocky to be kept in a mowable state.

This would be much easier to help you with if you could post some pics of what you are dealing with. I guess I am better at bidding when I can see rather than judging by a measurement.

Do you have an equipment rental store near you? I have bid jobs in the past where I've had to rent brushcutters and walk behind sickle mowers. I charge the customer for the rental and the labor. It sends a message to the customer to not let the property get so out of control when they have to pay a large one time charge.

Sounds like you won't have much competition since the others have destroyed their equipment trying. You'll have a better chance of getting the money you deserve. That's another good reason to rent, as their equipment is set up more for commercial use. Post some pics and let's see what you're up against.