PDA

View Full Version : Add in local paper?

jasonw
08-30-2009, 02:04 PM
So I have been sitting here for 3 weeks without a new client. I have been doing my regular jobs but hoping every day for new clients. Yesterday we passed out 50 fliers and about 700 cards but still waiting for a call. While sitting here I figured I would go over my adds and see if they can be improved. To follow is the add I run in the local paper.

LAWN SERVICE - Lawn mowing, weedeating. No job too small.

Can this be improved? its strait and to the point and thus far this add has been my biggest money maker. One last thing. We placed all those business cards on cars in local parking lots. Now before you get started I know this is annoying. I hate it when it happens to me but it dose put te companies name in my head. Is this a good form of advertisement or just a wast of time and money?

ccmark
08-30-2009, 04:51 PM
I only advertise on Craiglist (free) and Google maps (also free) and I have been averaging 1-2 new accounts per week even as we approach the final part of the season here in the midwest. The cards on the cars while not expensive in my experience is probably a waist of time. The number of cards that have to be put out to get a response is crazy. Hope this helps in my opinion you can't beat Craigslist.

jasonw
08-30-2009, 05:15 PM
I only advertise on Craiglist (free) and Google maps (also free) and I have been averaging 1-2 new accounts per week even as we approach the final part of the season here in the midwest. The cards on the cars while not expensive in my experience is probably a waist of time. The number of cards that have to be put out to get a response is crazy. Hope this helps in my opinion you can't beat Craigslist.

the problem is i have consistently posted on cl every couple of days for several months and not had one call. every client i have came from the add in the paper thats why i keep running it, i however have not heard from any new clients in 3 weeks which is why im looking to change the add a bit to draw atention.

Steve
08-30-2009, 08:08 PM
We placed all those business cards on cars in local parking lots. Now before you get started I know this is annoying. I hate it when it happens to me but it dose put te companies name in my head. Is this a good form of advertisement or just a wast of time and money?

I think it would depend on a lot of things. What kind of store was it at?

Also, think about how many different kinds of people go to stores. How many of them are home owners? How many of them that are home owners are decision makers? It could be that it is very slight.

As far as your ad goes, have you considered mixing it up now with gutter promotions? Or fall leaf cleanups?

'Get your gutters cleaned for FREE with a fall yard leaf cleanup'

What are some of your thoughts on that?

jasonw
08-31-2009, 01:22 AM
i supose some sort of clean up promo would be good but i dont do gutters, its just not one of my services.

jasonw
09-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Ok so we put fliers around town, Cards on cars, run add in paper, run several craigslist adds. Am I missing something? Is there another way I can promote my business other than what I have mentioned.

turfmaster
09-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Where I live we have a phone book called Home Pages. All the surrounding cities in my area have it. I have had good success advertising in this book.
It costs about $375.00 annually for a 1x4 ad in the yellow pages. They will help you design the ad included in the cost. The beauty of this book is your targeting your area. Most older people who are not computer literate will use this book. Local businesses will also use this book they tend to support local businesses within the community.

jasonw
09-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Thats not a bad idea. I will have to look into it.

fieroboi
09-03-2009, 02:03 PM
I've tried things like Craig's list, but not much luck with those in my area either. What I have had really good luck is with an ad in the local paper once in a while. I usually run the ad for a month long, then skip a month, make the ad stand out once again. If people see it all the time, they know about you, hense the month long ad. I too have an ad in the local home directory which was very inexpensive ($170.00 for the year).

But one of the most effective things I have found is other clients referring new clients. I have offered a rebate for a referral. In my area word of mouth is very powerful ... if your good, everyone knows about you and how good you are ... if your bad, then your business will suffer. One of the advantages of a smaller city, but it can be a disadvantage as well.

golfnpreacher
09-04-2009, 09:04 PM
For me, the best way to obtain new client is to load the trailer and cut grass... but cut later in the afternoon so I'm their when people start coming home. Then I simply go door to door. Pardon the interruption but I'm in the neighborhood and would like to offer my service.... yada yada yada....

The benefits ___

Face to face sells better than a flyer
You're right there, impulse buys are a huge factor
Your routes are tighter, you are already in the neighborhood

I always try to present some kind of "offer" (be it real or perceived) such as:
I'm trying to build clients in the area, so I'm offering a discount of X% which makes your rate $__ (which is what I would charge anyway)

I offer discounts for referrals. (which I really do) can you recommend anyone in the community to whom I can use your name?

Any how.... don't sit around waiting, if you want customers go knock on a few doors.