PDA

View Full Version : Yardman SC 5 carb gasket

jasonw
08-30-2009, 11:52 AM
I have a Yardman SC 5 chipper/shredder that had carb problems. I worked on the carb but now I cant find a gasket for it. I am not sure the year it was built but its not that old. I need the gasket that goes between the carb and gas tank. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

SuperiorPower
08-30-2009, 04:48 PM
its most likely a Briggs and Stratton engine if the carb mounts to the tank. Locate the Model, Type, and Code #s on the engine rewind shroud and take those #s to your local small engine shop to get a new gasket. If you can't find the #s, take the entire machine there and they should be able to determine the #s from there.

The gasket should cost only a a buck or two.

Good luck,
Eli

jasonw
08-31-2009, 01:46 AM
its most likely a Briggs and Stratton engine if the carb mounts to the tank. Locate the Model, Type, and Code #s on the engine rewind shroud and take those #s to your local small engine shop to get a new gasket. If you can't find the #s, take the entire machine there and they should be able to determine the #s from there.

The gasket should cost only a a buck or two.

Good luck,
Eli

Been there done that. According to them the numbers will not crossrefrence with there computers so they have no clue. It is a 5HP B&S Engine BTW.

SuperiorPower
08-31-2009, 06:11 PM
do you have a pic? if so, I can probably tell you the part #..... I would need a pic of the top of the tank AND the bottom of the carb. heck, through in a pic of the engine in general.

Eli

jasonw
08-31-2009, 08:35 PM
Pictures attached.

SuperiorPower
09-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Ask for part # 272996 aka 272410 aka 271928...... Any of these #s should get you the right gasket. Expect to pay no more than about $1.50 at the most. Maybe considerably less. If nothing else, I can mail one to you for probably $1.50, postage included (I can't be certain until I know your zip code).

Steve
09-01-2009, 07:40 AM
If worst comes to worst, couldnt you just cut out a gasket from a flat piece and use that?

jasonw
09-01-2009, 07:44 AM
Steve I tried to cut one but the gasket is so intricate its nearly impossible. Add to that the pick up tube wont come off leaving it impossible to get a flat surface to trace out. I am sure with enough patients it can be done but I don't have that kind of patients.

My zip code is 95640

SuperiorPower
09-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Ok, I was incorrect on the price but still I can mail it to you for $2.25, total cost. It is up to you if you want to mail me the money or do it through paypal. However, if we do paypal I would need to add the transaction fee to the $2.25 tho, which from my understanding, the fees will amount to $0.37 on that amount which is still cheaper than a stamp. Let me know if you want to do it or not.

Thanks,
Eli

jasonw
09-07-2009, 10:11 PM
WOW I am not trying to be cheap but .37 for a 2.25 transaction is horable. Are you sure that's correct? I thought it was like %2 they charge which should be like .05. Let me see if I can find it locally and I will get back to you. In the mean time maybe you can check into that paypal fee.

SuperiorPower
09-07-2009, 10:53 PM
WOW I am not trying to be cheap but .37 for a 2.25 transaction is horable. Are you sure that's correct? I thought it was like %2 they charge which should be like .05. Let me see if I can find it locally and I will get back to you. In the mean time maybe you can check into that paypal fee.

what I found was that the % fee was 1.9%-2.9% but then there was a $0.30 on top of that no matter how much the total was.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_display-fees-outside

oh, and don't think I am making any money on this. By this time I have spent 15-20 minutes of my time that I could only recoup with about $10-$12 additional profit... My mark up barely covers my shipping cost to me and then the shipping cost and shipping supplies to get it to you. No labor included. :)