PDA

View Full Version : Wheeled vacuum

justin_time
08-29-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm thinking of getting this vacuum for fall for leaf cleanups and then just dump that in the bottom of my trailer for now with a tarp at the bottom.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/jitys/WV190S.jpg

picframer
08-29-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm thinking of getting this vacuum for fall for leaf cleanups and then just dump that in the bottom of my trailer for now with a tarp at the bottom.

Hey Justin,

Bear Cat makes very good quality equipment and I have a lot of their equipment, I wonder however how those plastic wheels will hold up. Did you consider the Dr. Vac? Here is their unit and their shipping rates to Canada are the best I have seen from any seller in the USA.

http://www.drpower.com/leaf-lawn-vacuum_walk-behind_features.aspx

Since you already have a tractor and for around the same price you could get a tow model with the vacuum hose, the advantage being it will mulch the leaves meaning you will get more places done between dumps or what I have done is this, I have a list started of clients that want leaves collected, I ask if they want the mulch, if not I charge $30.00 to haul away but I schedule the 4th job to a place that wants the mulch and dump everything from the 3 previous jobs at their property, this way I never have to pay to take the leaves to the recycling depot, so far out of 67 jobs to do, only 7 do not want the mulched leaves.

Anyhow some things to consider.

Steve
08-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Justin which do you think you might go with?

I ask if they want the mulch, if not I charge $30.00 to haul away

Andy, in what ways do you utilize the mulch on the customers property?

Since you already have a tractor and for around the same price you could get a tow model with the vacuum hose, the advantage being it will mulch the leaves meaning you will get more places done between dumps

What price range would he be looking at if he wanted to go this route?

justin_time
08-30-2009, 07:31 PM

My budget is shot for this year so I may go with a used wheel vacuum. I saw one at a dealer. I hope it is still for sale. I will call them up pretty soon. Last time i checked it was 400$ and it may be gone or lowered the price.

I will have to hope for a better budget next year so I can get a tow behind

picframer
08-30-2009, 08:17 PM

What price range would he be looking at if he wanted to go this route?

They are actually the same price new, well $100.00 difference however the walk behind would be a lot slower, I don't think they mulch and the tow unit will hold all the mulched leaves. However if Justin has a line on a used one for $400.00, that is a quarter of the cost of a new unit.

The customer will actually utilize the mulch, we will place it in a neat pile, For $30.00 we will spray the pile with an Organic Compost Accelator, sometimes I think I am running a cell phone company, the advertisement is for a phone for only $9.85 a month but then you get sold the extra's.....lol this is a marketing tactic I learned from a guy I hired at the security company and man does it work and work well, Sure I will collect your leaves for $65.00 but by the time we are through you have agreed to xxx.xx in extras, not hard selling, always give the customer options.

Did it today on a new call, customer only wanted a Liquid Fertilizer, I was in the mood to sell stuff, anyhow he and his wife agreed to $535.00 in services and his mower was doing such a poor job he wants us to take over, another $67.80 a week plus he wants to sign on for our fertilizer program next year, in short a $50.00 call ended up paying big dividends.

Anyhow a walk behind is a lot better than the manual process, it wouldn't work for us as we have too many yards to do and most are 3/4 acre, many 3 acres plus to private communities.

The other thing is show, put one of these units on a trailer attached to a tractor or a ZTR and people want to know what the heck it is......all marketing and we are the only company around with these units.

justin_time
08-30-2009, 09:07 PM
I saw a vacuum on the gopher store and it was a link to this item on Ebay

350$ Half price :eek:

But local shipping only :( Anybody want to pick it up for me, it's in Hubbard, Ohio Zip: 44425

http://cgi.ebay.com/Craftsman-Sears-Lawn-yard-vacuum-chipper-blower_W0QQitemZ150369468361QQihZ005QQcategoryZ796 71QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/Craftsman-Sears-Lawn-yard-vacuum-chipper-blower_W0QQitemZ150369468361QQihZ005QQcategoryZ796 71QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

mark123
08-31-2009, 07:44 AM
I'm about 20 miles from Hubbard, OH. ;)

justin_time
08-31-2009, 07:57 AM
That's ok, he is one of my customer and he said if i need anything, they would be happy to bring it up for me.

So I got their numbers, so I may give them a call

picframer
08-31-2009, 04:25 PM
That's ok, he is one of my customer and he said if i need anything, they would be happy to bring it up for me.

So I got their numbers, so I may give them a call

I can get you a smoking deal on the Bearcat Industrial unit. Deere here has one that has been used four times as a demo, they offered it to me today for $1,000 obo, I passed but it looks new, has a Honda engine....I bought a new garden tractor from them today, the X749 four wheel drive, all wheel steer, 3 cyl diesel with a 48" deck, needed a four wheel drive tractor for a big contract we just got, doing the leaves at a golf course, three year deal, I was pretty excited.

Anyhow if you are interested let me know, I can send photo's, we could meet half way, probably in Quebec, meet up with Breeze for free entertainment....lol Can you imagine Mr. Breeze with a few beer in him...??..ROFLMAO....better brush up on my french:)

justin_time
08-31-2009, 05:19 PM
I can get you a smoking deal on the Bearcat Industrial unit. Deere here has one that has been used four times as a demo, they offered it to me today for $1,000 obo, I passed but it looks new, has a Honda engine....I bought a new garden tractor from them today, the X749 four wheel drive, all wheel steer, 3 cyl diesel with a 48" deck, needed a four wheel drive tractor for a big contract we just got, doing the leaves at a golf course, three year deal, I was pretty excited.

Anyhow if you are interested let me know, I can send photo's, we could meet half way, probably in Quebec, meet up with Breeze for free entertainment....lol Can you imagine Mr. Breeze with a few beer in him...??..ROFLMAO....better brush up on my french:)

I'm thinking about it. Maybe John Deere can ship the unit to my John Deere dealer over here.

Meet up with Breeze ? We would probably have to bring our own sleeping bag for all the stories he has to say, we would need a camp fire and get those stories going over a few beverages lol. And yeah, Breeze doesn't speak french haha but you guys can all learn from me haha.

You can send me a few pictures if you want.

There's a Bearcat dealer not too far from me. About 45 minutes from here.

picframer
08-31-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm thinking about it. Maybe John Deere can ship the unit to my John Deere dealer over here.

Meet up with Breeze ? We would probably have to bring our own sleeping bag for all the stories he has to say, we would need a camp fire and get those stories going over a few beverages lol. And yeah, Breeze doesn't speak french haha but you guys can all learn from me haha.

You can send me a few pictures if you want.

There's a Bearcat dealer not too far from me. About 45 minutes from here.

I have to go into Deere tomorrow afternoon, I will take some pictures and send them to you, the manager is a very close friend, I will find out if they can transfer it to your dealer.

Breeze lives in Montreal and doesn't speak french???? Well if we got a few Keith's into him we could teach him a new language, he would have a raft of new stories to post here....

Steve
09-01-2009, 07:21 AM
For $30.00 we will spray the pile with an Organic Compost Accelator

I never heard of that product. How good does that work? What is the difference between using it and not using it?

picframer
09-01-2009, 05:38 PM
I never heard of that product. How good does that work? What is the difference between using it and not using it?

I have been using it for years, it really speeds the process up, it used to be that a pile of leaves would brake down completly within two years, with this spray I can spray a pile in the fall and it's compost by spring.

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/coac.html

lawncrafter56
09-01-2009, 08:41 PM
pic? anyone... Could I apply this in the fall months before snow and would it still help as a premergent this spring or should I wait for Spring to offer this product? We might have 2 1/2 months of snowfree weather here yet. Thanks much
http://www.cleanairgardening.com/organicfeed.html

lawncrafter56
09-01-2009, 09:08 PM
I have been shreading and bagging some early falling leaves here in Iowa with a pull behind leaf vacum shreader. tip.. use dust mask

justin_time
09-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Starting to see/find/search too many different walk behind vacuum brands

Which ones too choose ?

I've got Bear cat, Billy Goat, DR, Sears/Crafstman, Troy Built...

I don't know anymore :confused:

lawncrafter56
09-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Justin, I have the Sears push vacum that works fair at best. I do not like the plastic suction head though it does work. It doesn't shread well and the leaves are very difficult to get out of the bag. it does have a blower that really blows leaves far better than a back pack blower. Mine's self propelled and I have been wanting to put a push blade on the front as it seems to move the leave piles well. That Billy goat looks like a much better investment.

They all look like money makers to me

picframer
09-02-2009, 03:58 AM
Starting to see/find/search too many different walk behind vacuum brands

Which ones too choose ?

I've got Bear cat, Billy Goat, DR, Sears/Crafstman, Troy Built...

Two things I look serious at, engine brand and reviews, forums from guys/gals using the units. I don't have any personal experience as we haven't used our units yet, I bought them based on several months of searching and reading reviews on the net.

The Bear Cat Industrial model IMHO is just too heavy, as I mentioned the JD dealer here has one (Demo) for sale, personally I think it will be there for a while even though the price is good, their residential model looks cheap although I know Bearcat makes good products and I have a lot of their gear, I also find their products over priced, Billy Goat isn't available around here, Deere sold their products at one time but stopped about a year ago, they simply didn't sell, DR is what I went with and have two commercial tow units, won't have any feedback on performance for another month, as for Sears the service here sucks and IMHO the quality of their products has really dropped over the years. There is a company in Quebec that makes them however their pricing is crazy and the unit wheighs almost 700 pounds empty, I doubt they sell many although their idea and set up is probably the best I have seen.

picframer
09-02-2009, 04:08 AM
pic? anyone... Could I apply this in the fall months before snow and would it still help as a premergent this spring or should I wait for Spring to offer this product? We might have 2 1/2 months of snowfree weather here yet. Thanks much
http://www.cleanairgardening.com/organicfeed.html

That is when we do it, our program starts Monday. One of the main reasons I do it is it takes weeks for the ground here to dry out in the spring, it seems we go from snow to almost a bog to mowing, the window or time is very short.

Our Falls are beautiful and last two months with excellent weather and perfect conditions for seeding and fixing up the lawn, it's also excellent working temps.

At the moment I start my day with a temp around 55 F, by mid afternoon it hits around 78 F then cools down again, my favorite time of the year is Fall.

justin_time
09-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Two things I look serious at, engine brand and reviews, forums from guys/gals using the units. I don't have any personal experience as we haven't used our units yet, I bought them based on several months of searching and reading reviews on the net.

The Bear Cat Industrial model IMHO is just too heavy, as I mentioned the JD dealer here has one (Demo) for sale, personally I think it will be there for a while even though the price is good, their residential model looks cheap although I know Bearcat makes good products and I have a lot of their gear, I also find their products over priced, Billy Goat isn't available around here, Deere sold their products at one time but stopped about a year ago, they simply didn't sell, DR is what I went with and have two commercial tow units, won't have any feedback on performance for another month, as for Sears the service here sucks and IMHO the quality of their products has really dropped over the years. There is a company in Quebec that makes them however their pricing is crazy and the unit wheighs almost 700 pounds empty, I doubt they sell many although their idea and set up is probably the best I have seen.

I'm debating on Billy Goat or DR

The DR dealer is 3.5 hrs away

The Billy Goat is 1.5 hrs away.

The DR vacuum is about $1700 self propelled with no wood chipper

The Billy Goat is about $2400 self propelled with a wood chipper on it

I could afford them right now but I have to pay off my trailer which is pretty soon.

lawncrafter56
09-17-2009, 05:11 PM
I feel the wood chippers on all the models are useless. I don't have the time to force feed twigs into small openings. Just my opinion. :)

justin_time
09-17-2009, 05:17 PM
I feel the wood chippers on all the models are useless. I don't have the time to force feed twigs into small openings. Just my opinion. :)

I'd probably use it for little twigs.. I'd figure it would be handy but I don't know, never had one before.

picframer
09-17-2009, 06:29 PM

Might be an opinion but it's true, even Dr. will tell you their units that come with the chipper...well they do a good job at shredding leaves but they are not so hot with a chipper. I spoke with a sales guy there a couple of times that really knew his stuff and was very honest, I like that in an employee.

I guess I am fortunate in that if a client had brush, twigs etc. I will just send in one of our bearcat units that are designed for it.

Justin, I am not familiar with Billygoat other than John Deere here carried their line for a few years and they did not sell so they dropped them last year, I almost bought one of their mowers as they were basically giving them away.

justin_time
04-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah, you read that right, I got myself a lawn vacuum :)

Added a $2200 loan, combined with the current Zero turn loan to my account.

I am getting the extension hose with it.

I am thinking of getting the liner kit that goes inside the impeller to protect the machine. I don't know the price of it, but i'm sure it pays to have it !

Steve
04-10-2010, 05:54 AM
Very nice piece of machinery there Justin. What made you decide on that one?

justin_time
04-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Very nice piece of machinery there Justin. What made you decide on that one?

My local dealer now carries Bear Cat. He told me Echo bought Shindaiwa, Echo and some other company i don't remember.