PDA

View Full Version : newbie

ukcats
08-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Here is a stupid question for u all. If I'm useing my truck to haul around my mowers on a trailer to I need commerical plates on that truck? or can I do this with just regular plates?

jasonw
08-28-2009, 03:34 PM
In California all trucks and SUV's already have a Commercial registration. What state are you in?

ukcats
08-28-2009, 06:03 PM
sorry about that. I'm in central Pa. just want to make sure I'm legit on everything

Steve
08-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Here is a stupid question for u all. If I'm useing my truck to haul around my mowers on a trailer to I need commerical plates on that truck? or can I do this with just regular plates?

This is something you probably will want to talk to your insurance agent about. The reason I say this is because we have talked about this topic in the past on the forum here and with insurance agents. What we learned from them is this. If you are using your vehicle for commercial purposes and you get into an accident, your insurer can refuse to indemnify you, meaning your activity may void your insurance policy and they won't have to cover you.

This would really suck if you got hurt or someone else got hurt. Then you could be personally sued for all you're worth.

Does this mean people ignore this? Sure they do. Everything is fine until it's not fine and then you find yourself in a bad situation.

Does this help? If you talk to your insurer keep us posted.

swstout
08-28-2009, 10:50 PM

Here in South Carolina, you have the option of having plates on your trailer if it has a load limit of under 2,000 pounds without advertising on it. I decided to get commercial plates for my trailers. Here there is a one time registration fee. Every year they send new stickers for the plates at no additional cost. For my 12' enclosed trailer, the cost was $89.00.

My insurance agent (Geico) had me add (I think it is called) Omnibus coverage on my vehicles to assure indemnity coverage. The cost is about an additional $300 a year for all three vehicles. I pay monthly, so it only added about $25.00 per month. I think it's cheap coverage. Call your agent to see what PA requires.

Steve