PDA

View Full Version : New Member from Chattanooga, TN

americaslawn
08-26-2009, 10:13 AM
I just joined this forum to see what others are doing. I have been in the lawn care/ landscape business part time for years. I have just sold my mortgage business (12 year old business ) to focus full time on lawn care and landscape. Most of our accounts are commercial, but we also do a lot of large residential landscape jobs. We have two simplicity zeros, two ferris walk behinds, a john deere walk behind, two trailers, two 3/4 ton ford trucks, a 1954 Chevrolet dump truck, new holland skid steer, and all echo trimmers, edgers, definers, blowers and hedgers. Our website is www.americaslawnpro.com

Steve
08-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Welcome to our forum!

How did you like running a mortgage business? How does it compare or contrast with running a lawn care business?

arthur712
08-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Welcome to the forum!

The Mortgage industry is tough right now. I am in realestate and I wish it was a liitle easier.

Great to have you here! Sound like you know what your doing and you have all the equipment. You will do great now that you can focus fulltime!

americaslawn
08-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Running any business is the same, especially since they are both service oriented. You have to be able to sale your service, and usually my service is not the lowest price. Deliver the service timely, accurately, and compliant.

Mortgage Pros- It is 72 degrees and no rain or sun, less dust, not as noisy

Mortgage Cons- People are very angry/rude when you make a mistake with thier money, you get fired once you close the loan (no residue income). Small work space, same old same old

Landscape Pros - My office is very big, never the same conditions always changing, I feel free being out side

Landscape Cons- It is raining right now in chattanooga. Plus it gets very hot, snakes seem to follow me, bees love me, dust taste good, and I really like rocks being thrown at me.

The biggest difference is the amount of stress, both jobs are demanding in there own right. However, in landscape or lawn care most of what goes on is dependent upon my company and we can control that. In the mortgage business we are depended on the appraiser, title company, underwriter, insurance company, surveyors, and realtors if any of them mess up it is still the mortgage companies fault.

arthur712
08-27-2009, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=americaslawn;56982]
Landscape Cons- It is raining right now in chattanooga. Plus it gets very hot, snakes seem to follow me, bees love me, dust taste good, and I really like rocks being thrown at me.
QUOTE]

You need to put that on your business card, I love it!