PDA

View Full Version : Private Communities

picframer
08-26-2009, 05:03 AM
Had a funny thing happen Monday, years ago at the bank I had a very good client (Bruce) he is a property manager, probably the largest in Halifax by now, super guy, super rich. Anyhow I have done a lot of framing for his company over the years (picture frames) for properties he manages, anyhow I get a call from him Sunday to come in and pick up a few pieces to frame, we chat for a while and he asks what I am doing besides woodworking etc.

I get to his office and we have a coffee and chat, he built a private community three years ago, it has seven homes, all 1 mil plus on the ocean, gated, he saya there is 350,000 sq ft grass and they are not happy with their provider, the quality isn't there, clumbs of grass clippings on the lawn, no edging, trimming leaves a lot to be desired, spring and fall clean up leaves the owners doing work etc. I ask who the company is and he replies, I never bring this company name up again, we just talk about their expectations and what they are paying ($2,850 month)

I think I can live with this rate although I have to see the properties on the weekend and then qrite a quote, one thing that bothers Bruce is two homeowners do not fertilize or spend any time on the grass and gardens while the others either do or hire someone so he wants an all in price. Fertilizer, mulch, spring and fall clean up. I will quote weeding and tree/bush trimming by the hour.

I was thinking yesterday driving home from a job I should make a list of all the people I have done business with or know including lawyers, accounting firms and over the winter months make personal contact with at least 50 to let them know what I am doing and see if there are opportunities with things they may be doing, anyone else done this?

Steve
08-26-2009, 07:52 AM
I was thinking yesterday driving home from a job I should make a list of all the people I have done business with or know including lawyers, accounting firms and over the winter months make personal contact with at least 50 to let them know what I am doing and see if there are opportunities with things they may be doing, anyone else done this?

Oh absolutely.

You know what's funny, I go back to realtors all the time when it comes to marketing but I can tell you in the past, I have received many letters from friends I hadn't seen in a while that do just what you are talking about.

They had gotten into being a realtor and sent out letters and magnetic business cards to everyone they know to say they are now in business as a realtor and to contact them for any of their real estate needs.

It's a fantastic idea and I bet it brings you a lot of feedback. You should also send out holiday cards to them yearly to keep them updated. One time is fine but annually is a great way to stay in their radar range. So when they need you they will think of calling you.

I look forwards to hearing what you decide to put together!