PDA

View Full Version : I think I lost a sale today ...

mark123
08-25-2009, 03:11 PM
... and it felt ok. :)

I had a lady call me twice yesterday so I went to her house today to measure the lawn and give her a price. She had two guys from the local mission working at her house (that should have been my clue to just leave, lol). The short fellow kept starting conversations in the middle.
This is the first thing he said to me:
Yeah, they're playing across from the mission on Thursday :confused: We put a new floor in his house and I didn't get paid. :confused: :confused:

The job came to $50 plus tax for a weekly mowing.

She came out with sauce on her nose (yes, her nose) and said the last guy did it for $40. I told her that she should probably stick with him then. That caused the tall worker to crack up, he knew she was not going to let me go without a haggling session.

I then told her that price is specifically for weekly mowing only. She said "Oh, I only need it cut every 3 weeks. I also don't want to pay tax." I told her that nobody wants to pay taxes but we all do it and the best I could do would be cut every other week for $65.

She really shouldn't call an insured and licensed professional if she only wants hack work. The little boy across the street would probably do it for $15. lol She's also a business owner (restaurant owner which may or may not explain the sauce, lol) so she should understand the difference.

It did feel good to stick to my price and not give an inch. I'll bet she calls me tomorrow with more haggling.

picframer
08-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Good for you bud, stick to your guns as there are more fish in the sea.

Personally, and I seem to run into this quite a bit, if a person haggles over paying tax, my reply is quite simple and always the same "I personally am quite thankful for all of the social systems we have free access to, these come at a cost, my company never has and never will support the underground economy and I wish you well" I walk even if they state ok I will pay, or if they email me later or call, I will not go back. Perhaps this is too harsh but it's the way I run things.

As for price we have been very fortunate, we still have a ton of work ahead of us, if someone doesn't like our prices I walk, they are not up for negotiation, I am not the cheapest but I don't think we are the most expensive, I will put any of the crews up against any company, they do good work.

Steve
08-26-2009, 07:21 AM
This got me thinking. You said she owns a restaurant. Do you know which one it is? Have you been by it or eaten there? I would be interested in knowing if the place is well kept and how the prices are. And then compare that to her behavior.

LOL then one day you should eat there and then try to haggle with her on price and tell her you don't want to pay tax LOL

mark123
08-26-2009, 07:31 AM
This got me thinking. You said she owns a restaurant. Do you know which one it is? Have you been by it or eaten there? I would be interested in knowing if the place is well kept and how the prices are. And then compare that to her behavior. Well, she had a really fine restaurant many, many years ago but it got shut down because of some illegal activity that had nothing to do with food and now I guess she just vends from a nasty van at fairs and carnivals. The van was in the yard and it was gross. I don't think I'd ever eat anything from it.

LOL then one day you should eat there and then try to haggle with her on price and tell her you don't want to pay tax LOL
I was honestly thinking about that. LOL!

Steve
08-26-2009, 08:55 AM
I was honestly thinking about that. LOL!

Wouldnt that be a riot! HAHAHHAHA Have someone video tape it too hahahahaha.

mark123
04-08-2010, 10:56 PM
I was mowing at my church today and guess who pulls in the parking lot? This same lady. She rolls down her window and motions me over. *sigh*

I go talk to her and she asks if I could give her a price. I told her "I gave you a price last year."

"Oh, yeah. $50. Will you still do it for that?", she asked.

"Only if it's weekly."

"No, every other week," she demands.

"That's $65." was my reply.

"OK, you do it every other week for $50, OK?" (she says OK a lot)

I said, "Have a nice day" as I returned to my mower and watched her leave.

Why would she pretend to not remember me? Is that weird? I should have just told her my prices went up and $65 was for the weekly mowing and she didn't want to hear the bi-weekly price. :p

CHEESE2009
04-08-2010, 11:08 PM
LOL, people can be funny!

Speaking of communication problems between our potential clients...

I got a customer yesterday who I just CANT understand.

He called my phone & my assistant answered. Before I called back, my assistant says, "I had NO idea what he said, but I told him you will call him back".

So I call & this is what I hear;

"I need for the lawn is hfusbcfudb lawn, ok? I want for sbhfbsubd you come tomorrow, I have a lawn, today"

Scott: "What is your address, I'm on my way"

LOL, didn't get any better in person.

So I basically said, "Communication is key towards our services keeping YOU satisfied, & I cannot understand a damn word you say! I am patient, so lets go over this again, because I really like your property & I believe I can make your lawn look better than the last guy did"

The lawn was scalped man...

Then he says, "I want to hire you, but we both have to talk to my wife, you know how it is"

lmao

mark123
04-08-2010, 11:32 PM
... "I need for the lawn is hfusbcfudb lawn, ok? I want for sbhfbsubd you come tomorrow, I have a lawn, today" ...
LOL! That's poetry. :p

Steve
04-09-2010, 06:55 AM
It reminds me of Don Vito (http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/chiquilin_bucket/stuttering_vito.jpg).

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w177/chiquilin_bucket/stuttering_vito.jpg

CHEESE2009
04-09-2010, 06:58 AM
It reminds me of Don Vito.

LOL! Hahahaha!!!

I don't like it when customers assume I can understand gibberish.

Which makes me think of something NEW to send to them.

A checklist of ALL my services & prices beside them.

They check off what they want done throughout the season, & pay per month accordingly. Neato! LOL

They'd submit this sheet before the mowing season begins, and leave enough time for spring work.

Steve
04-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Do you ever get the urge to talk gibberish back at times, just to see if they understand you then? :D