PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Accounts

Saddlewood
08-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Looking at growing into the commercial arena next year and was looking for some advice on how to find out who owns the property. For example, there's a dentist office down the street that I've had an eye on for a while. I know he doesn't own the place, so other than walking in there to talk w/ the current "tenants" is there any other suggestions that anyone has. After finding out the "right" person to talk with, I'd guess then it's a follow up phone call or email to that person introducing myself. Your thoughts?

Also, for those of you who have commercial accounts, what are some of the things that they're looking for. (specifically do they all require insurance) Anything else they look for in a company?

Saddlewood
08-25-2009, 03:03 PM
I've also heard wind that there's a release or waiver that one could sign if you didn't have insurance or enough insurance to cover the $$$ that they require. Has anyone heard of this or is this something that comes from the customers legal group or something like that? Anyone have any experiences with this?

picframer
08-25-2009, 07:50 PM
The registry of deeds will tell you who owns it, quite often a numbered company, from there take the company name and go to your registry of joint stocks, at least here the owners name and address is disclosed.

Every commercial job I have seen at least here requires you to carry 2 million in liability, personally I would not set a piece of my gear on any property with anything less, I have far too much to loose and the cost of insurance is a cost of doing business, no different than the gas we burn.

turfmaster
08-25-2009, 08:19 PM
I've also heard wind that there's a release or waiver that one could sign if you didn't have insurance or enough insurance to cover the $$$ that they require. Has anyone heard of this or is this something that comes from the customers legal group or something like that? Anyone have any experiences with this?

Forget all that!
Get yourself a good liability insurance plan and cover your azz.
It's part of the cost of being in business.

Steve
08-26-2009, 07:27 AM
I think ultimately its all about talking and meeting people. If you want to know who owns a piece of property, go in and say hello to the tenant and ask them. Make friends with the different people you meet and they will help you out.

Check out this blog article: How a new lawn care business landed commercial accounts. (http://lawnchat.com/?p=836)

and another: How to get your first commercial lawn care customer. (http://lawnchat.com/?p=909)

Waivers can exist for anything, however, ask yourself this. If you had a property and you knew the lawn care business owner servicing your property would you want them to continue service? Also keep in mind the property owner is going to be held liable for anything that happens on the property even if it is caused by an uninsured lawn care business owner. Also keep in mind if the lawn care business owner injures himself on the property, he can sue the property owner!

Would you want to be worried about this as a property owner? I bet most people would simply pass on that lco and find another.

Keep us posted on how all this goes for you.