PDA

View Full Version : accounting challange

rudisfarm
08-25-2009, 12:20 PM
How would you guys approach following situation.

You get a call from a person that lives away but he has that place that is for sale and it needs some good work on the curbappeal. Besides setting up a contract how do you make sure you get your money? Initially there will be charges for $200 with ongoing maintenance after. So this wouldn't be worth hunting him down afterwards with legal steps.

On the phone he mentioned his neighbor will pay for him. Is this another case of trust your guts :D

Input greatly appreciated.

Rudi

musician/lawnman
08-25-2009, 06:06 PM
On the phone he mentioned his neighbor will pay for him. Is this another case of trust your guts :D

Input greatly appreciated.

Rudi

In my experiance.... If it sounds like BS it usually is & you will get screwed.
If they call me from out of town & need something done, unless I get to meet them face to face & look a person in the eye prior to doing the work.... They need to pay 1st or I am not interested. I am not here to finance anyones projects & I don't extend credit to clients I've never met before. At a bare minimum.... Ask for full name, billing address, Then look up that name in that town & make sure they are who they say they are & that they actually live where they say they live. I have been burned twice by out of town azzholes on untrace-able cell phones. NEVER, EVER, EVER AGAIN. CYA

FloridaBoy
08-25-2009, 07:23 PM
I agree with musician/lawnman ( chuck ), get your money upfront, if they are trust worthy , they will pay or in your case the neighbor will pay you. Tell them the truth, you need money upfront, just to cover your butt, if they are honest people, there will be no problem, they say no or well lets see what you do first, ....then RUN, and warn the next sucker you see near that property. ( they may be competition, but we still have to look out for each other) well atleast a little Haha:D

Steve
08-26-2009, 07:16 AM
Hi Rudi,

Let us know what you decide to do!

mowcash
10-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Pre pay only for stuff like this I say. Have him pay via paypal that way he is protected since he can reverse charges if you fail to do work. That way he has no excuse for not pre paying.