PDA

View Full Version : Have Mower, Will Travel

majoe7
08-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Today I must have seen about five different guys hauling a tractor in the back of their truck. This one I took while I was behind it coming to a red light. I know I am an accident waiting to happen, but I had to take a pic due to the fact that I saw so many today. I am wondering what is going on? Have they just purchased them, delivering it to someone or are they in the business and just starting out?

When I started I only had a John Deere self propelled push mower, Ryobi 3 in 1 line trimmer, edger and blower, shovel and a rake that all went in the back of my enclosed truck. In the past couple of years I have only seen one guy actually have a set up like this and cut lawns. He had long ramps secured to his bumper that enabled him to off load his tractor. I hung around to see how he was going to get it back up. He just came off the yard and drove it up the ramps and parked it. Interesting.

John

turfmaster
08-25-2009, 01:11 AM
Today I must have seen about five different guys hauling a tractor in the back of their truck. This one I took while I was behind it coming to a red light. I know I am an accident waiting to happen, but I had to take a pic due to the fact that I saw so many today. I am wondering what is going on? Have they just purchased them, delivering it to someone or are they in the business and just starting out?

When I started I only had a John Deere self propelled push mower, Ryobi 3 in 1 line trimmer, edger and blower, shovel and a rake that all went in the back of my enclosed truck. In the past couple of years I have only seen one guy actually have a set up like this and cut lawns. He had long ramps secured to his bumper that enabled him to off load his tractor. I hung around to see how he was going to get it back up. He just came off the yard and drove it up the ramps and parked it. Interesting.

John

I have been in this racket for over 20 some years and this year is definietly
different than any other.

There are so many new start ups out there it ain't even funny except for some of their rigs LOL.

I seen this rusty old plymouth minivan pulling snowmobile trailers around with a Craftsman lawn tractor and push mower strapped to it. The guy actually had a hand painted plywood sign nailed to the back of the trailer that said:
CHEAPEST LAWN CARE.

I have to keep my camera with me in the truck and start taking pictures.

Steve
08-25-2009, 04:12 AM
I was thinking about this for a moment, trying to figure out if it looked like they were in business or not and I kept going back and forth.

But I am guessing, if you are driving around with a tractor and ramps it is very possible you are in business.

One of the lessons that could be pulled from this is you shouldn't leave others guessing if you are indeed in business. You should be promoting if you are. We do see that it often takes a new business owner quite a while to get to having signs on their vehicle.

turfmaster
08-25-2009, 09:28 AM
I was thinking about this for a moment, trying to figure out if it looked like they were in business or not and I kept going back and forth.

But I am guessing, if you are driving around with a tractor and ramps it is very possible you are in business.

One of the lessons that could be pulled from this is you shouldn't leave others guessing if you are indeed in business. You should be promoting if you are. We do see that it often takes a new business owner quite a while to get to having signs on their vehicle.

I think a lot of these guys are not nor want to be legit businesses.
They are working for cash and probably collecting unemployment. That's just my opinion.

arthur712
08-25-2009, 10:18 PM
I think a lot of these guys are not nor want to be legit businesses.
They are working for cash and probably collecting unemployment. That's just my opinion.

Randy, You are dead on.

I have seen so many New Landscaper coming in my office the last couple of weeks trying bid on our open land jobs.

They do not have signs on their vehicle because they are collecting unemployment. That is what one of them told me.
We have been getting a ton of lay offs here because of the shuttle program ending 2010. So I have been noticing so many new businesses out there with Truck and trailer. Now of course I pull them over and sell them my Vehicle Business Card Holders. LOL

jasonw
08-27-2009, 11:03 AM
People that do that wont last long. They know it and we know it. The first sign of going back to work for the man and there will be a nice JD up for sale so keep your eyes out. I believe entrepreneurs are born not made. Some try to transform but ultimately fail. There are a ton of start ups popping up but that's only because there is no license required at the state or federal level for what we do and you can get going for as little as $150. What we need to do is stick it out and don't let them take our business arthur712 If that were me I would have a very hard time not taking a picture and informing the dead beats that I am contacting the EDD immediately. Looser like that are the reason honest people have such a hard time getting unemployment checks. I don't tolerate people like that.

arthur712
08-30-2009, 09:50 PM
I saw this today and I had to share with you guys!!!
I am so glad the owner did not see me take this picture. LOL

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n200/ctksmom/2.jpg