PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in a rut

jasonw
08-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Question. I have a very odd urge the other day of not wanting to do this anymore. It kind of came out of nowhere and I don't understand it. I am making good money, I enjoy the work and its not really hard work so what gives? Anyone ever get in this situation? I almost did just say screw it I quit but thought wait I will sit back and think this over. I worked very hard to get the clients I have and have worked very hard making and keeping them happy so quitting would more than likely be very detrimental to ever trying to start up again. Any advice to get through these times? Maybe its just that things are not moving fast enough for me, On a brighter side Ben Bernanke Says our economy is recovering so that should be good for us in the near future. I am wandering if maybe my problem is that I don't yet have enough work to do this full time therefor I have to work my regular job still and at the same time juggle the kids and there education and family and everything. Maybe this all on top of trying to operate a business is just to much? It doesn't make much sense because this is not my first business venture and I have never had this feeling before but this is the first business venture that is service oriented so maybe that has something to do with it.

Steve
08-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Jason,

What do you think initiated this thought? What was going on at the time that you thought this?

jasonw
08-21-2009, 04:06 PM
I don't know what brought it on. I was not even working on a yard when it poped into my head. I was simply driving down the road enjoying the AC in my new truck and thought "whats the point" I thought later that its not worth making the money if I don't have time to enjoy it so maybe that has something to do with it but honestly I don't know what happened.

Steve
08-21-2009, 04:36 PM
Well I think you bring up a very good point with all of this.

Is it possible this comes down to the debate of immediate gratification vs. delayed gratification?

You have a fulltime job. You get paid as you go. So why do anything on the side when you are already putting in 40+ hours a week.

Then somewhere in your mind you decide you want to try something different and you start a business on the side to potentially go with fulltime in the future, but in between the time that happens, it takes a lot of your time and you have to wonder is it worth it?

Why delay my gratification when I can have it immediately. I can just keep working and that will work. Sure this side business may pick up in the future but maybe it wont and I am working my *** off trying but I may be wasting my time.

Is this at all along the lines of what is going on in your head?

jasonw
08-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Somewhat yes. It kind of feels that way. I mean I take 2 days off every week. Normally I work 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Now its more like 12 per day 7 days a week. No time to sit.

Steve
08-21-2009, 04:58 PM
It makes you wonder, ideally what would you like? What would be the ideal situation for you?

I am sure many many members of the forum find themselves confronting this issue as well.

jasonw
08-21-2009, 05:54 PM
I am sure many many members of the forum find themselves confronting this issue as well.

Thats what I am hoping. My ideal situation would be to be busy enough to quit my day job and at last work for myself and not rely on the man anymore. It funny, I am getting closer and closer with each day yet I feel I am falling farther and farther back each day.

CHEESE2009
08-21-2009, 06:48 PM
I have gone through this.

Some times I think about why I started a lawn business & I often say I'm wasting my time.

Though I thought over some pointers to why I should continue:

1. I hate school, high school was enough.

2. It's great exercise.

3. You get an awesome tan compared to your friends.

4. It makes you a man! Real men pull their weight & make mountains move.

5. Without challenges, life would shrivel up & become boring, really fast.

6. You have power when working for yourself. This also includes bragging rights!

7. The job is demanding, though it's actually very simple! It's almost hard to believe people pay us to cut their grass!

8. People look up to you for help & answers, you are the boss!

9. Women love us!

10. We are awesome.

Why I thought that I should stop:

1. There is always a problem, & it's never manageable & will delay you by a long shot.

2. Every day feels like your going to war, so much preparation in order to become a walking piece of sod.

3. You have to chase customers & crew around & basically solve everything for them, "problems" so small it's irritating enough that you just want to smack them out!

4. You organize your business, yet it's never organized. The weather & our busted equipment are the actual bosses. Basically EVERYTHING gets in the way & you can be sabotaged in a heartbeat.

5. You don't get "real" time off. Time off consists of phone calls, customers needing jobs done which drag you back to work. It's great, but it can be a pain. Sometimes you wish customers didn't hire you to do a job, just so you could relax & get back to organizing, though it's a shame because we all want to do the job! If we don't we look bad, & it's someone waving money in our faces, we want it!

6. When we arrive home, we just want to relax. Which can be bad, because it would be nice to have energy to spare for other activities with your friends, etc.

7. We have all the answers, we just don't know how to implement them in our business without being nervous. Basically if we want to raise our prices, what will happen? Will we lose our best customers, will we have to start all over building up our clientele?

8. Days can really suck. If you are sick, injured, your day is going to be a nightmare.

9. You can come home & take a shower, but most of the grass is stuck up your nose & ears. You'll be washing your sheets all the time. Or give up like me & just come home & lay down in my grassy bed, spiders like my bed.

10. You will always imagine better things other than lawn service, though you can't find it, ever!

Anyway, I love my job. It has it's ups & downs. The real down would be disappointing so many customers by not being able to afford doing their lawns. It's a big scare, you can lose money over anything in this business if you don't sleep with one eye open & re-think your thoughts.

The up side is, we are giving it a shot. Something many people do not do. We are owners, not hired help. We have balls... LOL

jasonw
08-21-2009, 07:22 PM
1. I hate school, high school was enough. Me to but education is good

2. It's great exercise. Cant argue there

3. You get an awesome tan compared to your friends. A tan would be the last reason for me to do somthing

4. It makes you a man! Real men pull their weight & make mountains move. I disagree. Why would anyone be less of a man if they sit at a desk all day?

5. Without challenges, life would shrivel up & become boring, really fast. Challenges are everywhere. I have a wife and 2 kids. Comparably lawn mowing is a vacation

6. You have power when working for yourself. This also includes bragging rights! Power yes, bragging rights I don't know

7. The job is demanding, though it's actually very simple! It's almost hard to believe people pay us to cut their grass! I agree. A moron can do the work

8. People look up to you for help & answers, you are the boss! Who? I only have hired help one time but treated them as an equal

9. Women love us! Ummmm is this a scientific fact? Or possibly mower frys talking?

10. We are awesome. Ok ok I agree lol

CHEESE2009
08-21-2009, 07:49 PM
4. It makes you a man! Real men pull their weight & make mountains move. I disagree. Why would anyone be less of a man if they sit at a desk all day? Well, a fireman vs a telemarketer, which is more manly? FireMAN, LMAO. I dunno. You know!

5. Without challenges, life would shrivel up & become boring, really fast. Challenges are everywhere. I have a wife and 2 kids. Comparably lawn mowing is a vacation 2 kids must be crazy... I guess your right, though I love the challenges in lawn service.

6. You have power when working for yourself. This also includes bragging rights! Power yes, bragging rights I don't know Well when I'm with friends & one says, "Oh I had a really tough day at work" what do you think? HE had a tough day? PSHHH!!!! hahaha!

8. People look up to you for help & answers, you are the boss! Who? I only have hired help one time but treated them as an equal Well for one, you look up to yourself which is something most people wouldn't do slaving for someone else. :P

9. Women love us! Ummmm is this a scientific fact? Or possibly mower frys talking? It's scientific! Given the circumstances, woman find lawn guys "sexy"... You wont hear a woman say, "I wanna bone a McDonalds manager"

10. We are awesome. Ok ok I agree lol No doubt about it!

swampfox
08-21-2009, 09:17 PM
48 years old :eek:, started in June (90F+)(lost 20 lbs), I know I will be in Darn good shape next season, I ain't going anywhere, I love this crap.:rolleyes:

Steve, Thanks for the lawn school, even if school sucks this one works!

Steve
08-22-2009, 03:47 AM
It doesn't make much sense because this is not my first business venture and I have never had this feeling before but this is the first business venture that is service oriented so maybe that has something to do with it.

I think this is a great topic. How does it being a service business effect things than it being another kind of business?

I am getting closer and closer with each day yet I feel I am falling farther and farther back each day.

Why do you feel this is the case? Especially when you feel you are getting closer at the same time?

Steve, Thanks for the lawn school, even if school sucks this one works!

You are welcome. :)

MikeO
08-22-2009, 10:23 AM
I think you guys think way too much about this. Its this simple really. Make money or get out. Either you like having extra money or you don't. It does not take a brain surgeon to do simple math.

jasonw
08-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Make money or get out sounds like something someone working under the table would say. There is a lot more to it if you want to be legitimate.

Steve. Its hard to explain for some reason. My last venture was breeding exotic snakes which started out as a hobby for me. I was fairly successful for several years but sold the business after getting bored with it business and hobby end of it. IMO turning a hobby into a business is the worst thing you can do for your hobby. It soon becomes a drag and not a hobby anymore. Once its not a hobby you find yourself cutting corners because you loose the passion. The other point is equally hard to explain. I have a list of invoices and enough numbers to give me a profit and loss statement. so clearly I am moving forward however at the same time I feel I am further from success than I was a month ago.

Breeze A fast food manager is just as much a man as a Firefighter. Clearly you have not worked in fast food. My first job was at a Taco Bell. After a few more dead end jobs I moved on to fighting fires at the county level. I have to agree the work was more demanding but I eventually moved on to mill work and then implementing entrepreneurship. I saved my badge as an item I worked very hard to earn however I learned a lot of about teamwork and "getting er done" working in fast food. Now I am mowing lawns. I don't lift weights, in fact I don't like pushing a mower so I wuss out and get a tractor. I love my spring assist start on my weed eater and my blower will never allow me to touch a broom again. Hmmmm it seems like I am less of a man mowing lawns than I was serving up Tacos or fighting fires lol. Now that I am done playing on words I understand your analogy, I just never agreed with the "be a real man" frame of thought.

Steve
08-22-2009, 11:55 AM
These are all great insights.

I wonder if this is a matter of finding happiness. If it is a question of, am I happy doing what I am doing now?

You have tried many things. Is it possible at times you feel this business is not as mentally stimulating or challenging as you would like it to be? Maybe that is part of why it's not potentially really lighting your fire? Maybe as you were out for your drive you were thinking, there has got to be something bigger out there for me. Something better? Something I would enjoy more?

jasonw
08-22-2009, 01:08 PM
These are all great insights.

I wonder if this is a matter of finding happiness. If it is a question of, am I happy doing what I am doing now?

You have tried many things. Is it possible at times you feel this business is not as mentally stimulating or challenging as you would like it to be? Maybe that is part of why it's not potentially really lighting your fire? Maybe as you were out for your drive you were thinking, there has got to be something bigger out there for me. Something better? Something I would enjoy more?

That is very very possible. I am cured that at any given time my mind is always going a million different directions. Normally it works in my favor as I have the answer before the question.

MikeO
08-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Well since your my business attorney you would know I pay my taxes and claim my income and file accordingly to my state law. All my advertising and receipts I can write off. I advertise alot in my area. In fact i just threw down another $1300 for next year in advertising. I probably spend more in advertising then I should but, its my money. I don't owe you any explanations but since you threw your words at me I thought id tell you. Nobody is here to start flame wars or try to one up everybody ok. Just to let you know. Im beyond that and do not have the time for it. If you have any personal attacks against me then hit me up in personal message and we can settle our differences there. Not on a public forum where people are looking to learn new idea's and share whats working or what isn't. There is alot to learn and I will never learn all of it but, i do enjoy reading what others have been doing that is working because truth is, nobody has to share. And i am curious. I have been mowing lawns for people for a long time I just didn't get into it this year. I enjoy the forum I enjoy people's opinions and there struggles and triumphs. So hopefully, that will be the last time you make a comment like that to me again. I saw you made a post I know you work a full time job. I simply said if you do not like the extra money then it's not for you. I am here to make money and alot of it. And there is some people here that know how to make alot and I want to know those people. It has nothing about working under the table, it is not about accepting cash instead of a check its not about having 3 million dollars worth of insurance. In fact, that is nobodies business except the people involved. You have to start somewhere and there is alot of people out there that are starting this sort of business. I would care less if they worked under the table because I know for a fact not everyone has claimed a $55.00 cash in hand. Money is money. So please in the future do not point your finger at me about any of that when you have your own issues to deal about, as we all do. Sorry for the rant

"Successful people do what unsuccessful people do not do."

jasonw
08-22-2009, 01:46 PM
I think you guys think way too much about this. Its this simple really. Make money or get out. Either you like having extra money or you don't. It does not take a brain surgeon to do simple math.

You came into this thread with an attitude. Get over it or don't post. The questions are asked to get incite from others not remark from jerks. I assume you are the type who must get the last word in so I expect you to reply but I will not play the game by keeping it going so any reply's will fall on def ears. Thanks for the incite.

MikeO
08-22-2009, 02:04 PM
well not trying to be a jerk jason. You make alot of money doing this kind of work and when you posted that your not feeling it anymore i guess most people are motivated by money so i was just trying to make it a realization of keep making money. you can only make so much money working for someone. someone tells you you are worth x amount a year, month, week, day. Well mowing lawns and doing whatever else you dont have that mindset anymore of i am only worth 300 a week. I guess i wake up and say i want to make 500 today what do i have to do to do that? Maybe if your not feeling connected with this type of work anymore maybe keep mowing lawns and offer other services to get you out of mowing lawns so much. I guess thats all i meant in my response sorry you took it the wrong way. I didn't mean any harm. Your at the stage of this and we all go thru it at some point. Do you like cleaning gutter's? How about foundation work? pest control? just some options. I dont know what your capable of doing or what equipment you have to do things with. I get bored mowing lawns and trimming. I can't do that everyday, my mind is always moving might be ADD dunno. foundation work i make alot of money doing that but it gets me out of mowing. Same with gutters or tree trimming.
Maybe thats what you need to focus on and it's time to expand more of your services that you can offer to keep everything more diverse instead of the same thing daily? Just trying to be helpful jason nothing more...

jasonw
08-22-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure its all about making money for me. I make way more than I need. I am one of the rare over paid, under worked Americans left. I could more than likely walk away from all work right now and be perfectly happy for the rest of my life. I am not sure if I have lost interest in the work or what the deal is. I jsut got this overwhelming feeling the other day that is for the most part unexplainable. I don't know what brought it on.

MikeO
08-22-2009, 02:24 PM
LOL...overpaid and underworked has its advantages as well.... I think only you can decide for yourself what the best option is for you and your family is. I know for me I have to keep moving and making money and people like me have no choice really. I am a certified welder i can go anywhere and work. I make more doing this then i would doing that. I do both, one for not very long. So, i just plug away I have great benefits at my current job and thats why i am still there untill i can produce enough $$$ every month to be able to walk away and not worry about that. Lot of variables.

Steve
08-22-2009, 04:06 PM
I jsut got this overwhelming feeling the other day that is for the most part unexplainable. I don't know what brought it on.

Last week, one of my friend's lost his mother to a long illness. I hadn't gotten much of a chance to talk to him at all until the other day and I sat down and looked at him.

He had a thousand yard stare and it was very difficult for him to engage into the conversation. We were talking and I asked when he was going back to work and he said he didn't know if he would. He was saying this as his young son wandered about the room.

He looked up at me and said he didn't know why he had spent so much of his life working with people he didnt like. Spending the majority of the day with people he didn't like and then spending the least amount of time with his new son.

He felt he should be spending more time with him because he was coming to the conclusion life is short.

What will he do? I don't know.

But I don't think it takes a death to put you into the mood of reflecting on things.

A brief moment of pondering can do it and then you start to wonder. What is it I am doing? Why am I doing it?

We all tend to get where we are at, slowly over time with small steps that don't stand out. Then one day we are somewhere, where we might not have wanted to be and wonder how we got there.

Maybe this realization is good though as a course correction. Maybe we need times like these to regroup and re-evaluate. Then we can come up with a new direction. But this is always really tough to do. It's hard to break old habits.

CHEESE2009
08-22-2009, 05:03 PM
I have a few plans which keep me interested in my work.

I think the problem is that your doing all this work with no time to enjoy life to the fullest!

I plan to expand & bring in more money until I can afford a nice big ol' boat!

With the boat I can start a company where I take people fishing, or just an adventure, maybe an expedition! LMAO

Fisher Boat
Water Taxi
Luxury Dining (could have a chef on board) where people come on board & pay big money to eat fine food out in the middle of nowhere.

I have no set idea! Sounds like a great retirement job to me.

Do you have any future plans to keep you motivated? Maybe you haven't figured out what you want to do for a living yet?

Steve
08-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Maybe you haven't figured out what you want to do for a living yet?

Also who's to say if there is ever a single thing that is out there that you would want to do for a living. It could be possible that it changes overtime. New interests arise as older interests get boring.

jasonw
08-22-2009, 08:44 PM
id almost bet it had somthing to do withnot getting big enough fast enough. i had one job this week which sucks. next week however i have at least 3 going. it would be nice to get more and make more money but calls have compleatly stoped coming in now

jasonw
08-22-2009, 08:54 PM
I have a few plans which keep me interested in my work.

I think the problem is that your doing all this work with no time to enjoy life to the fullest!

I plan to expand & bring in more money until I can afford a nice big ol' boat!

With the boat I can start a company where I take people fishing, or just an adventure, maybe an expedition! LMAO

Fisher Boat
Water Taxi
Luxury Dining (could have a chef on board) where people come on board & pay big money to eat fine food out in the middle of nowhere.

I have no set idea! Sounds like a great retirement job to me.

Do you have any future plans to keep you motivated? Maybe you haven't figured out what you want to do for a living yet?

no plans. i live for today not for tomorow

MikeO
08-22-2009, 09:35 PM
what have you been doing for advertising to drive people to call you?
What are you offering as services?
What makes you stand out from everybody else that are in this line?
The phone needs to ring everyday so, the work comes in.

The biggest reason thsat motivates me is my 2 year old daughter.
what is going to happen in 18 years from now when she wants schooling or a vehicle or wants to move to puerto vallarta mexico? How can I offord all that?

guys like me have to keep working and moving. when i spend 5 dollars i have to find a way to make 15.00. That is my mindset. It has to be. If you have advertised in the past how many calls were you getting daily/weekly?

I saw your website are you going to do more with it?

Steve
08-23-2009, 03:53 AM
id almost bet it had somthing to do withnot getting big enough fast enough. i had one job this week which sucks. next week however i have at least 3 going. it would be nice to get more and make more money but calls have compleatly stoped coming in now

This is a very good point. When a business is getting going there is a lot of frustration because you have all this energy and all this time and you just want to fill it up with work and be as productive as possible.

I can understand this and we were talking about this recently in another post. One of the things you can do is, if you can't be working on work and find you have a lot of energy and un-optimized time, you can try to take it and harness it and come up with creative ideas to market yourself.

I bet there are plenty of other entrepreneurs in your area in the same boat. Feeling the same way. They may not do anything to stand out and differentiate themselves. But you can, if you want too.

MikeO just brought up a lot of great questions. All of these things can be focused on and worked on.

You might find that realizing others go through this same mental situation at times will show that you are not alone. And because you are not alone you might see this as part of the growth process of a business. Then you might want to take it and use it as energy to fuel your creative thought process and push yourself forwards even more.

You can do it.

jasonw
08-23-2009, 11:12 AM
what have you been doing for advertising to drive people to call you?
What are you offering as services?
What makes you stand out from everybody else that are in this line?
The phone needs to ring everyday so, the work comes in.

The biggest reason thsat motivates me is my 2 year old daughter.
what is going to happen in 18 years from now when she wants schooling or a vehicle or wants to move to puerto vallarta mexico? How can I offord all that?

guys like me have to keep working and moving. when i spend 5 dollars i have to find a way to make 15.00. That is my mindset. It has to be. If you have advertised in the past how many calls were you getting daily/weekly?

I saw your website are you going to do more with it?

Curently my services are
Lawn maintenance (mowing, edging, etc)
Leaf Removal
Insect Spraying
Weed Spraying
Drip Systems
Bush Trimming
Chipping/Shredding

I need to remove the chipping/shredding though as my chipper is out of commission and I am not sure I can fix it.

As far as advertising I have been pouting out fliers, handing out cards. Posting to craigs list and my local paper. So far 100% of my business has come from the local paper. I am not sure what makes me stand out other than reliability and good honest work. Unfortunately I don't get much motivation. I do have 2 kids as well but if one wants a car or a trip to Mexico I would just go buy them a car or give them a credit card. As far as schooling its already paid for. I maintain an education account for my children so they will have no worried when the day comes. Calls would come in spuraticly. I live in a fairly rural area and would get a few calls every few days but have gotten no calls the past couple weeks. I have been reflecting on all this and think there are some organizational problems as well. Mainly with the quotes I am giving people. I was not writing them down then got buisy enough to start forgetting. I would give a quote then a few days later get a call to do the work and forget the price I quoted. I have not had anyone question a bill yet though so I must begetting lucky. I am now writing all this info down though. I also have no set business bank account. I have 2 checking accounts, 4 savings accounts and a brokerage account and when I get paid I just toss the money in what ever account I want to so maybe designating one for only business would be a good idea.

jasonw
08-23-2009, 11:14 AM
This is a very good point. When a business is getting going there is a lot of frustration because you have all this energy and all this time and you just want to fill it up with work and be as productive as possible.

I can understand this and we were talking about this recently in another post. One of the things you can do is, if you can't be working on work and find you have a lot of energy and un-optimized time, you can try to take it and harness it and come up with creative ideas to market yourself.

I bet there are plenty of other entrepreneurs in your area in the same boat. Feeling the same way. They may not do anything to stand out and differentiate themselves. But you can, if you want too.

MikeO just brought up a lot of great questions. All of these things can be focused on and worked on.

You might find that realizing others go through this same mental situation at times will show that you are not alone. And because you are not alone you might see this as part of the growth process of a business. Then you might want to take it and use it as energy to fuel your creative thought process and push yourself forwards even more.

You can do it.

That may be possible Steve. I have never gone through this though. I have simply had an idea, acted on it and made money. This is the first time I can honestly say I had to work towards a business venture.

MikeO
08-23-2009, 12:15 PM
I was thinking about you today Jason while i was mowing an account of mine I got up around 6 am and was there by 7:15. I think alot when i am mowing lawns and everything else for that matter:D. after thinking about everything that was posted and responded I kept moving the idea further into my little brain. I cannot speak for others, only me. I guess I know if I keep pounding away with all of this work I am doing it will eventually snowball. If I stop everything stops. My background and my best thinking brought me here to do this kind of work. My dad beat it into me when I was young that I am not the smartest person around but, i am good with my imagination and hands. I cannot be a doctor or lawyer or some upper class person that makes 200k a year. Thats not me. I said earlier I have a certification in welding. I am not union. I don't work in the oil fields. I get paid what I get paid and thats the bottom line. One day awhile back, I was analyzing everything and looking at these people I work with and either I change this situation or i become them.

I am not going to be 50 years old and drink a 12 pack a day of milwaukee's best and talk like i know everything and brag everything up and have nothing to show for it except an old chevy pickup that needs work because I am too broke to pay for a new carburateor. So, with the little bit of money I had saved up I bought equipment placed ads had cards made up and waited for the phone to ring. I want to be busy as possible yes we all do, takes time. To me, Jason it sounds like your doing well enough without doing this. Thats where it boils down to. If you didn't make as much money would you continue and re-structure your business plans and idea's to make the money coming in? Typically, yes you would because you wouldn't let your self fail. I think you answered your own question's in the latter post. Your not motivated enough because you have the money already. To me when somebody says Mike cut that tree branch down I have 30 dollars Im climbing the tree. If I know it's worth more... thats fine i will still cut the branch down I'll still make money off of this person eventually. I don't worry about that part. Would you go and climb a tree or buy a ladder to cut the branch down and only make 30 dollars? Some would some wouldn't. I have an addiction to money. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence but, money always stays green. How much are you willing to spend to make a good profit? Some don't want to spend anything and make all sorts of money while others spend money to make money. It's not easy thats for sure. Bid high or too low your sucking air. I just don't let it bother me. It's like people won't push a lawnmower only sit down and ride. I'll push all day long. I don't know if this makes any sense to you or not. I'll re-read it and probably think WTF myself.

If it's not mowing lawns and whatever else now you have the taste in your mouth of what it takes to do something else to make money. It's alot of work to get started and continue the progress of being successful. Henry Ford says it best. "A business absolutely devoted to service will have only one worry about profits. They will be embarrassingly large".

jasonw
08-23-2009, 01:54 PM
You could very well have just hit the nail on the head. I had less than everything growing up. I worked hard and I am now a self made person that is very well off in this world. I really do not have to mow lawns or do anything for that matter. I have lived by the simple rule "Let your money make you more money" It would be reasonable to think that since I don't nee this to pay my bills I would not care if I work or not. On the other hand I completely realize how hard it is and yes I agree you need to spend money to make money. I am 8 thousand dollars into this and feel really stupid wanting to back out because I have yet to make that much from it. Will I eventually? Yes of course. The problem may have started with this very thinking. "here I am 8k poorer, how much more do I need to spend?" Then the thought why reorganize, I don't need this so just let it ride. Maybe I would be better off in this business buying 6 houses in the Caribbean and quitting my day job. Then my security would be gone and I would have to rely on this. That thought is a very stupid one though LOL I have worked very hard to become financially self sufficient and only a moron would toss that out the window. I have a very good idea now though. I am going to lock all my money away, I am going to direct deposit all my income to one of my national accounts with only online access "3-4 days to transfer" this way I truly will be broke. I will still maintain my wealth on paper but will be broke in the pocket. If I want to survive I will have to mow more lawns. This may be a great answer.

Steve
08-24-2009, 05:05 AM
Jason,

Do you ever wonder if it comes down to the money or a love for doing this whatever 'this' is.

I would venture to guess many who start a business do it for the love, even if it's the love of being their own boss, setting their own hours, enjoying the field they are working in, being outdoors, etc.

Then I feel everything falls into place like the old saying goes 'do what you love and the money will follow.'

Eventually you will make money at what ever it is you love to do if there is a need for it but until you get to that point, you will still be loving what you are doing, so it doesn't weigh heavily on your mind. If you are doing what you love, you are free, you have your freedom. And I think the vast majority of people dream of being free. Of being out there doing their own thing.

jasonw
08-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Jason,

Do you ever wonder if it comes down to the money or a love for doing this whatever 'this' is.

I would venture to guess many who start a business do it for the love, even if it's the love of being their own boss, setting their own hours, enjoying the field they are working in, being outdoors, etc.

Then I feel everything falls into place like the old saying goes 'do what you love and the money will follow.'

Eventually you will make money at what ever it is you love to do if there is a need for it but until you get to that point, you will still be loving what you are doing, so it doesn't weigh heavily on your mind. If you are doing what you love, you are free, you have your freedom. And I think the vast majority of people dream of being free. Of being out there doing their own thing.

I really do enjoy the work. I have always been a part of some sort of business venture. It seems business is in my blood but on that same note I have always had a regular employer. Maybe I'm just freaked out of having to rely on myself. Oh lord that sounds irresponsible doesn't it?

armowing
08-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Jason,

I don't "LOVE" mowing lawns! I love being outdoors. I "like" doing yard work. But most important: "I LOVE MONEY"!!! I am in this to make money. If you claim your not, STOP immediatly. I mean, come on. We're all here to make money otherwise we would mow for free. Yes, some of you REALLY like doing this, but the point is to make money. Also, I have only started this year and already ran into this mental thing. It seems some days you keep running into brick walls and everything turn to s**t. I have out out flyers, door hangers, cards to everyone I meet, some yard signs and contacted several realtors = NOTHING! Man, this sucks! At the same time I'm thinking 10 contracted customer my 1st season, I should be happy. Some nights I lay in bed and can't sleep because I think about the business. WOW! My head is spinning now! I think most of the folks on here have been there, done that at some point or another. My 2 cents: Keep digging! It'll get better. It has to. LOL

jasonw
08-26-2009, 02:49 AM
I really do love mowing lawns. I love seeing a landscape transform into something beautiful and the best, fastest way to do this is take care of a lawn. Make it lush and green again as most of mine are nearly dead by the time I am hired.

Steve
08-26-2009, 08:40 AM
I don't "LOVE" mowing lawns! I love being outdoors. I "like" doing yard work. But most important: "I LOVE MONEY"!!! I am in this to make money. If you claim your not, STOP immediatly. I mean, come on. We're all here to make money otherwise we would mow for free. Yes, some of you REALLY like doing this, but the point is to make money.

You got me thinking a lot on this post.

First off I would like to know if you ever found any type of business that you loved doing and the money was an after thought? Do you feel something like that exists for you somewhere or does it exist for others?

Also, I have only started this year and already ran into this mental thing. It seems some days you keep running into brick walls and everything turn to s**t. I have out out flyers, door hangers, cards to everyone I meet, some yard signs and contacted several realtors = NOTHING! Man, this sucks! At the same time I'm thinking 10 contracted customer my 1st season, I should be happy. Some nights I lay in bed and can't sleep because I think about the business. WOW! My head is spinning now! I think most of the folks on here have been there, done that at some point or another. My 2 cents: Keep digging! It'll get better. It has to. LOL

Can you tell us more about the mental thing? What goes on in your head when you are laying there thinking about your business? And is it just about business or is it about life and how business fits into that? Where is it taking you or you taking it?

armowing
08-27-2009, 06:42 PM
I love repairing anything! That is what I do for a living (lawn care is my other job). I have always liked trying to figure out how to make something work again or even make it better.
As far as thinking goes, I try to see how I could do something better; faster or just plain easier. What did I do wrong? Did I forgot something? Why is this customer upset? Why did this customer not call me back? How can I keep this from happening again? And on, and on, and on, and on.................
I guess I am just a very analytical person. Always trying to figure out stuff.
Damn JACK OF ALL TRADES, MASTER OF NONE syndrome I have.

jasonw
08-28-2009, 01:17 AM
I love repairing anything! That is what I do for a living (lawn care is my other job). I have always liked trying to figure out how to make something work again or even make it better.
As far as thinking goes, I try to see how I could do something better; faster or just plain easier. What did I do wrong? Did I forgot something? Why is this customer upset? Why did this customer not call me back? How can I keep this from happening again? And on, and on, and on, and on.................
I guess I am just a very analytical person. Always trying to figure out stuff.
Damn JACK OF ALL TRADES, MASTER OF NONE syndrome I have.

Do you find that this type of thinking gets in the way though? For example maybe you are thinking about how to better please a customer all the while getting there yard done faster so you could move on to the next and at the same time neglecting another customer?

armowing
08-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Do you find that this type of thinking gets in the way though? For example maybe you are thinking about how to better please a customer all the while getting there yard done faster so you could move on to the next and at the same time neglecting another customer?

GOOD GOD, NO!!! I didn't mean for it to come across like that. Just yesterday I pulled a rather large shrup stump from a customers yard and didn't say a word. He called me today and asked what he owe's me and I said nothing. Just some of the perks that MY customers get. I pick up trash and little branches and stuff all the time. Granted, if there is a large branch I would ask for and almost always get the ok to cut it up if need be and remove it. I spry weed killer on the concrete cracks. I pull a weed here and there from the flower beds. I almost literally treat each yard as if it were my own.

MikeO
08-30-2009, 02:07 AM
how could you compromise neglecting a customer when your trying to figure out speed? I think i know what your trying to say but, would you rather compromise you or them?

armowing
09-01-2009, 06:32 PM
how could you compromise neglecting a customer when your trying to figure out speed? I think i know what your trying to say but, would you rather compromise you or them?

NEVER, EVER would I compromise a customer. I would break my back if need be to make sure my customer is satisfied.

jasonw
09-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Well I think today was the blow that broke the camels back. I took my guy out, this was his first day in charge of getting the p[lace done and well after about an hour of standing around I had to take the rains and do it all myself. I was hoping to hire someone to take care of business so I could relax in the office and focus on getting more business to us but apparently this was not meant to be or possibly I picked the wrong person. I started thinking "Wait a minute why am I tripping on this, that's it I quit. Clearly there is an issue here so rather than pick it apart I just quit" I guess it was fun while it lasted. The good news is now I have a lot of cool toys to work on my own yard with. oh well.

Steve
09-02-2009, 09:37 AM
What do you think was the issue with the employee? Did he need more direction? What could have made the situation better?

jasonw
09-02-2009, 10:30 AM
What do you think was the issue with the employee? Did he need more direction? What could have made the situation better?

I am not sure what the problem is. Maybe this person just is not happy working for me, I cant see why. I provide lunch, drinks, beers after work and anything ells. Maybe the wage just is not worth it to him, I doubt it though as unemployed with wife someone would work for whatever they can get. Here is the kicker. Maybe I am not a good enough boss. Maybe i am to easy. I am not use to telling anyone what to do or to get off there but and pick up the pace. Its much easier for me to just do the work myself. I will have to have a talk with him. For sure I don't want to have to bring this up within ear shot of a client.

Steve
09-02-2009, 06:50 PM
I was thinking about this and considering different ideas.

With the way you want to run things, have you ever thought about becoming like a property management company? Where you hire subcontractors to handle the property maintenance instead of trying to higher employees?

Would that be better for your situation?

jasonw
09-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I would love to get into property management. At the same time I love yard care. ITs just the pressure getting to me.

jasonw
09-02-2009, 10:55 PM
I was thinking about this and considering different ideas.

With the way you want to run things, have you ever thought about becoming like a property management company? Where you hire subcontractors to handle the property maintenance instead of trying to higher employees?

Would that be better for your situation?

Property Management requires a Real estate brokers license, thanks again California.

Steve
09-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Property Management requires a Real estate brokers license, thanks again California.

What would be required to get that license? It might be relatively simple to do.

jasonw
09-04-2009, 06:12 AM
What would be required to get that license? It might be relatively simple to do.

It actually is a pain. You must have time in the field. sponsored by a broker as a sales person, that all sorts of exams, pay all sorts of dos. Its not something that can be obtained in a day, a month or even a year.

Steve
09-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Well in the larger picture if this is something you would like to do, having these licenses may help protect you from fly by night operations that exist in the lawn care industry.

jasonw
09-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Well in the larger picture if this is something you would like to do, having these licenses may help protect you from fly by night operations that exist in the lawn care industry.

Having a license just lines our governors pockets, plain and simple.